Help me decide: Valor 6J or Balcony

jetfan0330

I just checked and see that the price I paid for my 6J on the Valor with the front facing floor to ceiling window is now the same as a balcony cabin.

I love the idea of the unique cabin and can't decide if I should switch cabins.

Thanks for the help!

By the way it is me, my wife and 2 daughters (12 and 9) in the one cabin. Thanks.

We've never had a 6J, but we have had a 6K on the Glory (one of the end cabins, so it's bigger). It was my favorite cabin of all time, including all of the different balconies we've had before and since, even one that was a "bowling alley" balcony on the Miracle (essentially 3 balconies in one).

I looked into the 6J next door, and it was also nice, just not as big.

I did the same thing as you, kept watching the balcony prices drop and wondering whether I should "upgrade." In the end, we were glad we stuck with the 6K, and we ended up spending more time in the cabin than we ever had. I never missed the balcony because of the spectacular forward-facing views. Ours even had a chaise lounge next to the huge windows, and that was a great place to chill and relax. I've been looking for another 6K ever since, but there is only one on each ship that is designated for 2 people (the other 6K is for 4 passengers), and they are hardly ever available, and, of course, 6Js and 6Ks are only available on Valor, Conquest, Glory, Sunshine, and now Freedom, so it's definitely slim pickings.

One thing to point out (and I'm not sure all reps would do it), but before it was all said and done, the balconies were a couple hundred LESS than what we paid for the 6K. I had stayed strong while the balconies had dropped to the same price as the 6K, but when the prices on the balconies got this low, we finally called to see if there was anything they could do to adjust our price...knowing that since they were sold out there would not be a price to adjust to. They gave me the song and dance I was expecting, but then I asked them to "move" us to a balcony temporarily so they could see the current price on the 6K, and then move us right back into the 6K. It was kind of scary because I didn't want to lose the 6K, and I know how people are always searching for them.

They had to get a manager on the line, and I had to go through the whole thing again, but after about 15 minutes, we had saved almost $300. Now, we were NOT Early Saver, and we could have just cancelled and re-booked, so I kept using that in my favor when I called, but I didn't want to chance having the 6K go back into the inventory for the time it would take to cancel and re-book, so I tried to handle it this way with manipulated price matching. It was still a small gamble, because once they "moved" us temporarily, even for the few minutes the processing took, we could have lost the 6K. At the time, there were a couple of 6J's left, so I told myself I'd be happy with one of those if worse came to worse, LOL. BTW, this was for a sailing in Dec. 2013, so it's been a little over a year ago, and I know things at Carnival are always changing--in my experience, the answer you get can change twice in the same day, depending on whom you talk to ;)

Whew, that was a long story...back to your situation. My opinion is stay with the 6J if the price you paid is one you can live with. Carnival prices these cabins based on their perception of what they're worth...could be the 6J is worth more to you than a balcony just for the uniqueness. And, like I said above, it's not impossible to get a price drop if you get the right rep and you word it the right way. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by CruzCrazy

I never would consider 6J, those cabins all the way forward only because if there are rough seas or storms the ship can bounce up and down in the very front. I have been on 53 ships in my life (I am 51) and I have the experience of being everywhere on a ship. I also noticed they are connecting cabins, I stay away from all connecting cabins (unless its with my own family) because you can hear more noise from tv and such through that door.

I can't even imagine how the 6J can be better than a balcony!! The balcony gives you extra room, its nice to sit out there and watch the "scenes" or watch people coming and going from port. It also gives you some room to spread out while people are in the bathroom showering and dressing.

Another thing to consider is all the walking you have to do from the front of the ship to the rear, the windjammer is in the rear and the fact when you are on the promenade and atlantic deck you always need to walk to the forward elevator/stairs to get to your cabin unless you don't mind walking outside on the Lido deck to get to your cabin.

The price is the same price, there is your decision there isn't anything to think about, balcony!

Edited by lyndamr

If you had 9200 I would say stay where you are

but the 6J is just a small room with a bigger window.

I think with 4 of you in one cabin moving to the balcony to give you more space is what you need

http://cruiseweb.com/carnival-cruises-photos/staterooms/scenic-oceanview-stateroom-picture-valor.jpg

We had 9200 and its a hike for kids to do every day 2-3 times a day

• 1 month later...
Thanks for helping me out with this...we decided to take the balcony on the spa deck. I will make sure to publish review following the cruise.

Not sure if you are aware or not... The spa deck balconies are NOT covered... And those on the deck above can look directly down on you... Plus, sometimes trash on the deck