Off shore snorkeling (kids & beginners)

partyof6+2

We will be visiting GC in 2 weeks and are super excited, since the first time there we could not stop there due to rough winds :(

Can anyone recommend a beach with good snorkeling for a diverse group of snorkelers with some children and some beginners? And how to get there, we'd prefer to walk (not more than 2-2.5 miles) or we would take a bus rather than cab since we have 17 people in our party.

Thank you!!

I would highly recommend Smith's Cove. It is about a mile south of Georgetown. It stays shallow for quite a ways out, so it makes it easy for beginners. My son has snorkeled there twice: the first time he was 5 and the second time he was 8. I am also a beginner and I felt very comfortable there. My husband is an advanced snorkeler and he usually swims out to the reef. The cove is also nice because there are bathrooms, outdoor showers, picnic tables and shade. There is a rather large house right across the street from the cove. If you go, let me know what you think! We plan to go to Smith's Cove on our cruise in April.

Once you get outside of town, there aren't any sidewalks. We've walked it before and it was fine, but you could take a cab there and then when returning, walk as far as the Sunset House and have them call a cab for you. There may be some public buses (vans) that run that way also, but I am not sure. I think you would really enjoy the cove.

• 2 weeks later...

no rentals at Smith's Cove ... no facilities other than a small "bath house" with some showers and toi-toi . . . a few Picnic tables ... first come first served. No food or drink unless you bring it with you - Sunset House is about the 1/2 way point and the hotel has a small gift shop with VERY limited snack selection and some cold drinks . . .

I believe you can rent snorkel gear at Eden Rock and carry it (Sunset House has rentals but does not allow them to be taken off-site due to too much lost gear ...)

• 1 month later...

Hello partof6+

I am wondering where you wound up going. Smith cove? How was it?

We will have inexperienced 5 and 9 year old with us.

If anyone else would like to help, I am trying to decide between:

Smith Cove

Stay and snorkel at Turtle Farm

Reef Balls at Marriott

TIA!

Swan0299,

I prefer Smith's Cove to the Reef Balls at the Marriott, though those are fine too. My son has done both. He is now almost 13, but he snorkeled both at the ages of 5 and 8. Smith's Cove has some shaded sand areas and picnic tables and generally less crowded. You won't find much in the way of shade at the Marriott. These two snorkels are free of course, but I am not sure how much the snorkel at the Turtle Farm would be, but if you are already planning on going there, you might consider it. If you do go there, I would be interested to hear about it.

Swan0299,

Unfortunately I have nothing to offer. We decided to split up in groups and the serious snorkelers went on our own (we contracted an excursion with several different stops). The rest of the gang just ended up hanging out at the Royal Palm beach or just walked around Georgetown and then back to the ship. Our group was too big (17) and very difficult to accommodate everyone in one place. But from what I hear it seems like Smith's cove may be a good option for you. Let us know, what you end up doing :)