Millennium Secrets

Mparis184

We will be heading to Asia via Dubai in 60 days. Can you please share your secrets and words of wisdom about sailing on the Millennium. Since we haven't cruised on Celebrity in 7 years I feel like a Celebrity virgin. I am sure you all must have helpful hints that can make our cruise experience more rewarding.

Thanks,

Marion

we spent 4 weeks on the millennium last year in asia...but no unique secrets....just the usual ones....

bistro on 5 for lunch when you board to avoid the crush in the buffet.

Try lunch at the aqua spa cafe (available for all..not just aqua passengers

If you have an A1 cabin on deck 11, bring duct tape and a bungee cord (24")....

If you are in concierge or above, you almost always can change the sparkling wine for a credit ($28) in the dining room...ask the somellier (and I'd advise changing it..).

Best pastries (actually the only ones worth eating other than specialty restaurants) are in cafe b'accio...and they are free and they package for take out.

Try the onion soup on the everyday menu in the MDR or Blu. There's always a caesar side salad (with or without anchovies) on that everyday menu that's very good.

If you want a hamburger, get it at the grill at the pool right off the grill...not in the MDR.

Don't put your key card anywhere near a magnet (purse, etc)...they demagnetize very very easily.

But nothing unique to the millennium

Wouldn't be sailing on CENTURY ? She's the one departing Dubai for Asia 5th April....

I think Millenium is sailing around Asia all winter and early spring until she's returning to the WestCoast in May...

What is the Duct Tape and Bungee for?

I suggest that whoever Celebrity hired to do the design of the 11th deck passenger cabins that were added to the M-class ships apparently had never actuallly been on a ship...you see ships rock from side to side. There are no stops on the drawers to hold them closed...and there is no way to secure the balcony door in any position other than closed and locked and that, only from the inside.

Translated, that means that if you hit rougher seas, your drawers open and slam closed all night....and if there is any rocking side to side but it's nice out and you decide to sit on your balcony, the balcony door will slide open and closed.

So the duct tape is to tape your drawers shut...and the bungee cord to hold the balcony door fully open (I haven't found any way to hold the balcony door closed if you are outside unless someone on the inside locks you out.

Edited by ghstudio

Wouldn't be sailing on CENTURY ? She's the one departing Dubai for Asia 5th April....

I think Millenium is sailing around Asia all winter and early spring until she's returning to the WestCoast in May...

I think you have you're ships mixed up, Century is coming from Australia and the South Pacific to do a cruise of Asia before leaving Singapore for Dubai on March 22nd.

Sorry to confuse you. We are sailing on the Millennium but booked a Celebrity package for 4 days in Dubai before flying to Hong Kong to get the ship. We also have a post cruise package for Singapore for two nights. The total trip is 21 days.

Marion

We will be heading to Asia via Dubai in 60 days. Can you please share your secrets and words of wisdom about sailing on the Millennium. Since we haven't cruised on Celebrity in 7 years I feel like a Celebrity virgin. I am sure you all must have helpful hints that can make our cruise experience more rewarding.
They no longer provide ice buckets and water pitchers automatically in all cabins, but you only need to ask for them to get them.

They also stopped providing the jar of cotton balls and q-tips in the bathroom.

Instead, there is now a cardboard box of air containing 2 q-tips and 2 tiny pieces of cotton.

If you want more, let your stateroom attendants know and they will bring you additional boxes.

To save space in the bathroom, you can pack enough cotton balls for an entire week into one box, pack enough q-tips for a week into another, and discard all those extra cardboard boxes.

There is also a small piece of emery board in each box that you may want, but we just discard those.

The Cafe al Bacio has replaced the old Cova Cafe.

They still have the great croissants, plus other baked goodies free of charge.

There is a nearby station where they sell gelato now, but we are still very happy with the free ice cream up by the entrance to the buffet area.

The free coffee all around the ship seems a lot better now that they have changed to a different brand.

They stopped allowing smoking at the tables out on the stern of deck 10 on some ships, making the air back there much more pleasant.

I don't know whether or not they have done that on the Millennium.

No more pillow chocolates at turndown. Instead, we only got chocolate covered oreos on formal night.

It seems like we are getting more towel animals lately than ever before on Celebrity cruises.

They discontinued sem-formal nights entirely and now only have formal and smart casual nights in the main dining room.

Even on formal nights, the formal dress code now applies only in the main dining room; nowhere else on the ship.

They replaced all the bedspreads with duvets some time ago -- don't know if that was before or after you last cruised.

They also replaced all the old TVs with flat screens.

In the main dining room, they no longer put flowers on the tables and no longer do "show time" before the dessert orders and no longer provide mints as you leave the dining room.

The harpist is long gone, and on our latest cruises the string quartet (which had been downgraded to a string trio) had disappeared as well.

A nice change is that we no longer need to bring the life jackets to the muster drill.

The lobster tail on the last formal night had been replaced with lobster melange. Then it went back to the regular lobster tail again for a while, but it was back to lobster melange again the last time we cruised. No telling what it will be by the time of your cruise.

We really didn't mind either way as you can always ask for another piece of lobster tail if you want it.

By the way, we find that the quality of the lobster tail can vary tremendously, not only from cruise to cruise but even from one lobster tail to another at the same meal!

The same for the steaks in the MDR. Sometimes it seems like it is merely luck of the draw as to which you happen to get.

But that makes it easy to understand why one person will say the steak was tough while another on the same cruise will say it was tender and imply that the first person was just a complainer. :D

Edited by fleckle

• 2 weeks later...

The lobster was pretty ordinary last week very dry as if it had been in a bain marie

a lot of people had dinner in buffet not me

but I noticed sushi every afternon they use seafood extender in one of them that s something p&o aust would do anchovies only saw once they replaced them with a dried anchovy yuck

a tip go to pizzeria f I r real tomato s they are cherry but they come and go

• 1 month later...
I suggest that whoever Celebrity hired to do the design of the 11th deck passenger cabins that were added to the M-class ships apparently had never actuallly been on a ship...you see ships rock from side to side. There are no stops on the drawers to hold them closed...and there is no way to secure the balcony door in any position other than closed and locked and that, only from the inside.

Translated, that means that if you hit rougher seas, your drawers open and slam closed all night....and if there is any rocking side to side but it's nice out and you decide to sit on your balcony, the balcony door will slide open and closed.

So the duct tape is to tape your drawers shut...and the bungee cord to hold the balcony door fully open (I haven't found any way to hold the balcony door closed if you are outside unless someone on the inside locks you out.

Does this actually happen??? I'm expecting rough seas when we travel.

Don't forget that there is a solarium with a semi-therapy pool and hot tubs. It doesn't come close to the thalosotherapy pool on the Century but it's still a good place to relax under the cover during inclement weather. The Aqua Spa café is there as well.

We did not have either the door issues or the drawer issues on the Infinity. It's the ill fitting shower door in the majority of Aqua class cabins that comes as a surprise to new cruisers.

The Millie is really our favorite M class ship but that might have been the friends we were sailing with or the itinerary.

There are some itineraries that are best enjoyed at the Sunset Bar. Sailing through straits or narrow channels is spectacular back there.

Enjoy your cruise.

Does this actually happen??? I'm expecting rough seas when we travel.

No bungy cord or duct tape needed for our deck 11 cabin on the Millie last year. The balcony door could easily be locked open by putting the handle in the vertical position and the cupboard drawers were quite stiff. We didn't sail through any storms but we did have a couple of nights of moderate seas which caused some significant rocking and rolling.

The only thing we did experience was a persistent banging at night which we soon realised was the door of the unlocked safe swinging open and hitting the cupboard door.

If anyone has been on the Millenium within the past 6 months can

you verify if an outdoor movie screen has been installed for "Movies under the stars"? If yes, what deck and where is it placed?

The Summit now has a movie screen at the back of the ship on deck

11 above cabins.

If anyone has been on the Millenium within the past 6 months can

you verify if an outdoor movie screen has been installed for "Movies under the stars"? If yes, what deck and where is it placed?

The Summit now has a movie screen at the back of the ship on deck

11 above cabins.

There was no outdoor movie screen on the Millie in October.

• 1 month later...

We were on the Millennium 1-15th March, Hong Kong round trip. There isn't,t a cinema screen anywhere, even though it is advertised in the brochure as on level 3, think it should have doubled up with conference room but it didn't. They had a film one evening in the theatre!