Beverage Package Preorder Fee?

SuzD123

This is not intended to start a lengthy debate of the pros/cons of the value of the beverage packages or the "downfall of RCCL" or anything else negative.

My DD and I sailed in April 2014 and enjoyed the Ultimate Beverage package...actually I preordered the Premium package and once onboard upgraded to Ultimate (I suppose it was a "Why Not" moment of weakness). Anyway, we will be sailing again in August 2015 with my DH and her BF and I was just looking into preordering beverages again. However, this time I noticed something that I do not recall from before or maybe I just wasn't observant last time. When selecting the Premium package for one of us the charge is $343 ($49 per person per day for 7 days)...with an additional service charge of over $51. So I cancelled the order and decided to do a bit more investigation before committing.

Again...I do not recall an additional service charge when I preordered for our last cruise. I am wondering...did I just not see last time? Is this a change? Is there the same fee if we wait and book the package onboard? Just curious.

This is not intended to start a lengthy debate of the pros/cons of the value of the beverage packages or the "downfall of RCCL" or anything else negative.

My DD and I sailed in April 2014 and enjoyed the Ultimate Beverage package...actually I preordered the Premium package and once onboard upgraded to Ultimate (I suppose it was a "Why Not" moment of weakness). Anyway, we will be sailing again in August 2015 with my DH and her BF and I was just looking into preordering beverages again. However, this time I noticed something that I do not recall from before or maybe I just wasn't observant last time. When selecting the Premium package for one of us the charge is $343 ($49 per person per day for 7 days)...with an additional service charge of over $51. So I cancelled the order and decided to do a bit more investigation before committing.

Again...I do not recall an additional service charge when I preordered for our last cruise. I am wondering...did I just not see last time? Is this a change? Is there the same fee if we wait and book the package onboard? Just curious.

Royal changed the terms a few months ago and now adds 15% to the prices. Most of the prices went up a bit, but the Ultimate package actually went down with the change.

Edited by clarea

Royal changed the terms a few months ago and now adds 15% to the prices. Most of the prices went up a bit, but the Ultimate package actually went down with the change.

Thank you Bob. This was exactly what I needed/wanted to know. That and that I wasn't dreaming. ;) I definitely knew the gratuities were included, but the fee structure change I was not aware. The more I think about it...I think at the time the Premium was billed as $55 per person/day and the Ultimate was $65. This makes more sense now since they are $49 and $55 respectively. So doing the math...you are exactly right.

I wonder...is there the same service fee if we wait to order onboard?

Thank you again! :)

I was wondering if the 15% they added was for gratuity?

wv4dmb...maybe, but I doubt it. When I purchased it last time, it was billed as gratuities already included. I think the intent has been to make it as all-inclusive as possible. Sounds like just an adjustment in their business processes since it is still a relatively new offering...just over a year now.

Sue

Edited by SuzD123