Best Beaches at Tortolla and St. Maartin

KevinsCruising

Hi , We are going on the Gem on Jan 21st. Anyone know any place to have a great Beach Day at Tortolla and St Maartin? Haven't been to Tortolla in years and don't remember there name of the beach we went to and I have never been to St. Maartin.

Thanks

Cane Garden Bay in Tortolla and Orient Beach in St. Maarten.

DSCF8269_zpsacc136df.jpg

Orient Beach family side- the other end is clothing optional

Video of Cane Bay

Edited by C Cruise Dude
add more

I don't know about swimming in St Maarten, but if you like to take pictures, Maho Beach can't be beat! There's a strip of beach, a 2 lane road, a chain link fence and then the run way! The planes are really that close - I didn't photoshop that plane in there.

Maho%20Beach%203-M.jpg

Tortola we had a great day at Jost Van Dyke, make sure you try the painkillers.

St Maarten, I didn't care for Maho, but my son and husband enjoyed it for the planes. Last year we took the water taxi over and sat at the beach across from the port, it was a relaxing day with plenty of bars and restaurants. This trip we are trying Orient

In St. Maarten Orient Beach is absolutely beautiful. There are 2 sides to the beach. One side is clothing optional and he other is not. Lots of beach bars with chairs and umbrellas and cheap drinks.

For Tortola, if you have the opportunity to take an excursion to The Baths on Virgin Gorda do it. It has to be one of the most gorgeous places I've ever seen.

I think Cane Garden Bay was the beach I was at years ago. If I remember they said that pirates use to hide out in that cove. I need to find a picture of the bay from the beach then I will know if that is the one. I also think there was a rum distillery on the beach in a cave sort of that made cane rum. :rolleyes:

If you want an easy beach trip in St Maarten just take the water taxi from the port area to town. As you exit the landing area go to the right a out a block and ask for Miguel. He rents chairs and umbrellas. You can also order food from the restaurant and he will deliver it to you, and you can use the restaurant bathroom. The beach is right across from the ship's and we personally think it's beautiful!

Talked to a friend tonight who stayed on Orient beach over Christmas. Unfortunately Orient beach is inundated with seaweed. She said they are using backhoes to clear the beach every day. She recommended Frairs bay beach.

Ditto. We were there between Christmas and New Years and couldn't believe the seaweed, not on the beach and in the water. A taxi driver told us this had become a big problem recently.

I'll see if I can find a picture...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421003812.093600.jpg.ac909047bc380c822916f394fc0cfd9b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ditto. We were there between Christmas and New Years and couldn't believe the seaweed' date=' not on the beach and in the water. A taxi driver told us this had become a big problem recently.

I'll see if I can find a picture...[ATTACH']336196[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats good to know.

Thanks

Cane Garden Bay on Tortola is excellent.

In St. Martin. I felt that Orient beach is over rated, the beach was only OK and the surf was rough. Maho is more of an event than a relaxing beach, but worth at least one trip.

Our last stop in SXM did not dock until 1PM, and sunset was around 5. Due to the time constraint, we used the downtown beach and were pleasantly surprised. We were the only ship in port that day, so I don't know how it would be with multiple ships in port.

Cane Garden Bay on Tortola is excellent.

In St. Martin. I felt that Orient beach is over rated, the beach was only OK and the surf was rough. Maho is more of an event than a relaxing beach, but worth at least one trip.

Our last stop in SXM did not dock until 1PM, and sunset was around 5. Due to the time constraint, we used the downtown beach and were pleasantly surprised. We were the only ship in port that day, so I don't know how it would be with multiple ships in port.

I feel the same about Orient. I prefer no waves and Great Bay (downtown) is what I liked.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been to St Martin and the Caribbean a number of times..was there last summer and was told to visit Mullet Bay..ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Crystal clear pool like waters, white powdery sand. They have chair/umbrella rentals and the sell food. Right near Maho Beach where the planes land. No pushy vendors at all. This was our last stop and if I ever travel there again, will taxi straight there and spend the day!

I read in a review there is a beach in st. Marteen that is 10 minute walk from the pier. Is this true?

Make a left leaving the port and just stay on the sidewalk, and you'll make it to downtown (and the beaches) in about 10 minutes. There are lots of bars along the beach, as well as places renting chairs and umbrellas. We've done it the past two years in St. M and really enjoyed it both times.