Can you pay corkage fee for wine with OBC?

Turtles06

We'll be sailing on the Gem out of NY in May. I know that we can bring wine on by paying a corkage fee of $15/bottle. I also know that you pay this at the dock after you clear security but before you actually check in, so my question is whether there's a way to use OBC to pay the corkage fee, or whether you must pay by other means (like cash or credit card) since you haven't actually checked in yet. Would love to be able to use some OBC for this, but not sure we can.

Thanks for any info!

If after security like at Whittier(Anchorage) Yes you can pay with the OBC

from your Sail & Sign account.

Have not encountered how it is done where you go through security and

then check in - how do they know which stateroom to bill the corkage to

since you do not have an account set up yet ?

We'll be sailing on the Gem out of NY in May. I know that we can bring wine on by paying a corkage fee of $15/bottle. I also know that you pay this at the dock after you clear security but before you actually check in, so my question is whether there's a way to use OBC to pay the corkage fee, or whether you must pay by other means (like cash or credit card) since you haven't actually checked in yet. Would love to be able to use some OBC for this, but not sure we can.

Thanks for any info!

The corkage fee goes on your onboard account. After security, but before you actually register, there is a table with crew members that count your bottles and write up a chit with your cabin number which you then sign, just as if you were on the ship. I don't have an answer as whether OBC can be used for that or not.

Yes, it is a normal onboard charge that is done as a manual receipt and actually charged later (they usually input those in one of the MDRs so in the first few days in the cruise, that is how the charge will show). They will just ask the cabin number and the charge will be made on the account of the first passenger in the cabin unless noted otherwise.

On different cruises, I've seen the corkage fee charge show up as both a restaurant and a bar charge. It probably depends on where the person is sitting when they enter the charges into the system. As said above, they just write up a slip of paper when you board. Usually it shows up on day 2 or 3 of the cruise on your account. And yes, your OBC can be used to pay for it.

Edited by MeHeartCruising