Rccl Hold On Debit Card

I talked to royal carib(were doing voyager in 2 weeks)because my 77 year old fatherinlaw doesn't believe in credit card-so we finally got him a debit.The cruise line will charge your totals nightly so there is no hold on your card(so that if you have automatic deductions coming in back home -theres no freeze on your account)you can still use your card in port-but the big kicker is DON'Tgo over your daily limit between charging on the seapass and in port.Follow those rules and you will do just fine.:eek:

From checking our bank acount on a daily basis we never found any hold put on our acct untill the last day the total charges were 'held' The finial charges went through a couple of days after we got off the ship.

AS far as the limit on your debit card just call your bank, let them know you will be out of the country on a cruise and you would like your daily limit increased incase of an emergency. You should have no problem with this at all.

Bev

It's a very good idea to call your bank and/or credit card company to let them know where you will ge going, and the dates you will be gone, and that you plan to use your cards. if your debit card or credit card does not have a history of foreign purchases, your card might be denied charges, as the bank or credit card company might assume it's been stolen.

It's a very good idea to call your bank and/or credit card company to let them know where you will ge going, and the dates you will be gone, and that you plan to use your cards. if your debit card or credit card does not have a history of foreign purchases, your card might be denied charges, as the bank or credit card company might assume it's been stolen.

Exactly!

How timely! I have been reading every post ever written here about this very subject. I get so many different reports, so I have called RCCL 2x in the past 2 weeks, spoken to two different people, had my travel agent check it out, and even called my bank and spoke to the branch manager. Here is the scoop I have gotten:

We leave 9-11 for our cruise on Explorer. I used our Visa check card (that says "check card" at the top, and "debit" above the Visa logo, for our SeaPass account.

I will have money in my checking account available when we leave, but I also get paid direct deposit in the middle of the cruise. Naturally I am worried about some large amount being "preauthorized" or a "hold" being placed on my card at check in, and thus overdrafting my account and having massive fees hit all week. Hence, my search of this website and my phone calls to RCCL and my bank.

RCCL, "Guy" tells me on 8-16, after verifying with a supervisor, that RCCL does NOT place a hold amount on your Visa check card upon check in.

Travel Agent tells me the exact same thing the next day, and advises that I verify this as I check in at the Pier.

RCCL, "Kristen" tells me today, once again verifying with a supervisor, that RCCL does NOT place a hold amount or charge anything to your Visa check card upon check in. Kristen did tell me that all internet charges are immediately charged to your account, however, when you use the computers. I personally will be checking my online checking website the first days after checking in to ensure no hold was placed. I feel confident at this point it will not be. Also, Kristen told me that if I talk to the check in at the pier, they will confirm that nothing will be charged to my checking account on day 1.

I called my bank, I have a $1000 daily charge limit. So on that Saturday night or Sunday, when they charge my total amount to my Seapass, as long as it is under $1000 (gosh let's hope so! LOL) I will not have a problem. I also told my bank where I would be and they told me that won't be a problem either.

I know others have said that yes, RCCL charged their card. I don't know if they said "Visa" or not. I think if I was simply using a "debit" card that was not linked to Visa, they probably would. But I am not, mine says Visa.

Good luck on your cruise!

Rachel

I'm confused. Does "putting a hold" on your account mean they charge a random sum of money? How could this possibly work for a debit card? Wouldn't it make you overdrawn?

Why can't you just "pay off" your SeaPass at the end of the cruise, with your method of choice, and not give them anything for during the week?

A hold does not overdraw your account. But if the amount of the hold (the amount you owe the cruise line) exceeds your balance it will be denied and they shut off your ship account. I found this out when Bank of America decided to shut my card off after a purchase in Aruba. Tried to get a shake at Johnny Rockets and was denied. Luckily the pursers office let me use the ship phone for free to get my card re-activated.

The poster above said 'except for tips', I didn't think RCCL had auto tipping:confused:

From what I found on the Royal Caribbean website & their 2005-2006 Caribbean Cruise Vacation Planner from my TA, tips can be paid the following three ways:

Prepaid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

Added to your onboard SeaPass account to be paid with your credit or debit card.

Paid in cash in the envelopes that will be provided in your stateroom for you to give each staff person the last night of the cruise.

Kat 060104_emM12_prv.gif

I will probably just put money on my SeaPass at the beginning of the cruise and replenish it periodically. However, I am cruising with my parents (I'm 17) and our room is adjoined to theirs. They will be paying for our tips at the end of the cruise. Will they be able to put our tips on their SeaPass or should we/they bring cash for that?

Archived