Are you guaranteed a table in the speciality restaurants with the UDP?

lozf4000

I have read somewhere that if you purchase a UDP you are guaranteed a table reservation in the speciality restaurants providing you give 24 hours notice, is that true? I presume if you leave it until the day before you could end up with a time that you don't want, in particular with the smaller restaurants (teppenyaki & Brazilian?)

Should we pre-book the restaurants so we at least get to experience them all at our chosen times then use the 24 hour guarantee to return to those we liked the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure how they could 100% guarantee every restaurant, every night. After all, each restaurant does have a capacity.

With that said, with the various complaints that show up here, getting into a speciality with or without the UDP has not come up.

- note, I have not done the UDP myself. Nor do we ever make restaurant reservations before we board, and most that we do are the same day, or the day before.

Not sure how they could 100% guarantee every restaurant, every night. After all, each restaurant does have a capacity.

With that said, with the various complaints that show up here, getting into a speciality with or without the UDP has not come up.

- note, I have not done the UDP myself. Nor do we ever make restaurant reservations before we board, and most that we do are the same day, or the day before.

Yes it has. People have posted not being able to get into specialties, especially on the final night of the cruise. I think it's more likely to become an issue with the free promotions.

As I had posted elsewhere for this question...

This isn't a "reservation priority" in the normal use of the term.

You are NOT guaranteed a reservation at a time of your choosing in the specialty restaurant of your choosing.

You ARE guaranteed a chance to eat at ONE of the reservation times (not necessarily chosen by you, depending upon availability) if you give them at least 24 hours notice.

(This make sense, as you've pre-paid for your dinners, so they really can't "shut you out" entirely. However, they don't have to give you your choice of seating times at a specific restaurant, on short notice.)

GeezerCouple

If you want to eat at a specific Specialty Restaurant at a particular time on a certain day, the sooner you make the reservation, the more likely you are to get exactly what you want.

On the other hand, they will usually do their best to fit someone in -->> unless they are really fully booked at the time/location you prefer.

With a limited number of tables, there's not much else that they could do, without turning away someone else who already *did* have a reservation.

Presumably, you would want to feel comfortable that it would not happen to you just because someone with a UDP wanted "your spot".

GeezerCouple

We only ran into a problem once and that was trying to book the last night at Cagney's. We did do it about 24 hours in advance but our concierge said it was full and there was nothing they could do. So later that night we are having dinner at the Italian restaurant and the hotel manager and customer service manager are making rounds to see how we are enjoying our cruise we casually mention that we were unable to get a reservation. We get back to the Haven and the concierge was falling over trying to appease us and gave us a multitude of times to eat at Cagney's.

As a side note when we were in Cagney's the next day at dinner it was more than half empty so I have no idea how they time their capacity but it seemed off to me.

Long story short you should be fine but book Cagney's early.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

A related question from a NCL newbie.

We have the UDP as a promotion (not prurchased separately) - staying in Haven.

Can I make specialty restaurant reservations online 100 days before (as if I had purchased the UDP package) without being charged for each reservation?

we'll be on a cruise in Europe at the time for a month so calling NCL to make these reservations is not an option - would like to do them online.

PS It's a 5 day cruise and would like to try 5 different restaurants - so we have less flexibility than on a longer cruise.

TIA

Can I make specialty restaurant reservations online 100 days before (as if I had purchased the UDP package) without being charged for each reservation?

we'll be on a cruise in Europe at the time for a month so calling NCL to make these reservations is not an option - would like to do them online.

PS It's a 5 day cruise and would like to try 5 different restaurants - so we have less flexibility than on a longer cruise.

TIA

Paul, I love seeing you here as you are asking all the questions I would..

Jancruz1

Yes, there is such guarantee in T&C of the package.

"Reservations are not required however table availability will be guaranteed for Ultimate Dining Package guests with 24-hour advance reservation."

http://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

I stand corrected on the "policy". But, I will still put considerable weight on the law of physics. Meaning - you can not seat more people than you have seats for. Not saying it will be a problem, but they do have limits.

We only ran into a problem once and that was trying to book the last night at Cagney's. We did do it about 24 hours in advance but our concierge said it was full and there was nothing they could do. So later that night we are having dinner at the Italian restaurant and the hotel manager and customer service manager are making rounds to see how we are enjoying our cruise we casually mention that we were unable to get a reservation. We get back to the Haven and the concierge was falling over trying to appease us and gave us a multitude of times to eat at Cagney's.

As a side note when we were in Cagney's the next day at dinner it was more than half empty so I have no idea how they time their capacity but it seemed off to me.

Long story short you should be fine but book Cagney's early.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

It may have been "half empty" because there were several cancellations, but that's not too likely, given the need for advance notice to cancel (or risk of forfeiting payment).

More likely, there were several (seemingly many) empty tables, because they seat on each half hour. So assuming a typical dining party takes more than an hour, they need to have some tables available for the "next half hour" and the "next hour", too.

And they also will hold tables for up to 15 minutes.

(I think they'll try to call to reach someone who hasn't shown up. After all, they *definitely* know who you are, unlike at a regular restaurant in "any city".)

Obviously, some people may linger longer, and some may stay a shorter amount of time, so they need to schedule based upon averages.

I think this would be especially tricky on a ship, with most people paying in advance (UDP or just "per evening").

GeezerCouple

I stand corrected on the "policy". But, I will still put considerable weight on the law of physics. Meaning - you can not seat more people than you have seats for. Not saying it will be a problem, but they do have limits.

Someone posted here that they guarantee a seat, but may not be the restaurant or time you desire.

Jan,

which cruise are you on?

if you happen to find out the answer via other channels, please let me know :)

I can find out tomorrow and will post here..We were supposed to go Venice to Houston in October but due to health reasons Stu said no more flying to Europe so we are going on the Dawn Boston to Boston September 11..14 days

Jancruz1

Last month we were in a Suite on the Spirit, and while strolling through the atrium, I inquired at the desk for dinner reservations at Le Bistro a few nites ahead for 7PM. They told me they could not do 7PM, but could do 9PM.

We spoke to our concierge later that day, and were booked for 7PM.

The place was 50-75% full at 7PM, & never filled up. I do not know why they schedule like this, but have had this same thing occur before. Where they say they do not have availability, but they do.

Cagneys is always booked up for the last nite of any cruise, late in the week. So if you want Cagneys for the last nite, book it right away when you get on the ship.

Went to Shogun Asian Fusion, it was empty, there was only one other couple there.

In the future when a large portion of folks have the dining package, I guess, forget getting into the most popular specialty restaurants, as they do not hold a lot of people. As 'garycarla' mentioned, the laws of physics will come into play in the future for reservations.

So finally, there will no longer be any wait for the MDR's, everyone will be trying to get into the specialty restaurants. :eek:

I have read somewhere that if you purchase a UDP you are guaranteed a table reservation in the speciality restaurants providing you give 24 hours notice, is that true? I presume if you leave it until the day before you could end up with a time that you don't want, in particular with the smaller restaurants (teppenyaki & Brazilian?)

Should we pre-book the restaurants so we at least get to experience them all at our chosen times then use the 24 hour guarantee to return to those we liked the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NO. We got shut out of Cagneys on the last night of our Getaway cruise, but they did make it up to us.

We had the UDP on the Getaway in August and almost didn't get into Le Bistro. I called 24 hours prior to make a reservation near the end of the cruise and was told they had no tables. I read that guarantee to them a couple times, which they totally ignored and kept saying there were no tables. So, I went down to the dining desk and magically 2 reservations opened up. While dining we noticed there were a couple tables that were never filled.

In the future I will make sure I have my reservations before I leave home. I'd rather just avoid the fight than have to get pushy to get what is due.

In the future I will make sure I have my reservations before I leave home. I'd rather just avoid the fight than have to get pushy to get what is due.

That is exactly why I asked what I did above (post #7) - prefer to make my reservations in advance before boarding.

DMH15...yes, you may order from the specialty restaurants and have it delivered to your room. I am not sure though if this is only limited to being in a suite. I would think if you had the UDP or paying for it individually it would be the same thing. But suite perks are pretty awesome and delivery of that may be reserved for suite guests only. Hopefully someone else can comment if it pertains only to suites.

DMH15...yes, you may order from the specialty restaurants and have it delivered to your room. I am not sure though if this is only limited to being in a suite. I would think if you had the UDP or paying for it individually it would be the same thing. But suite perks are pretty awesome and delivery of that may be reserved for suite guests only. Hopefully someone else can comment if it pertains only to suites.

Suites only, all others get the room service menu only.

It may have been "half empty" because there were several cancellations, but that's not too likely, given the need for advance notice to cancel (or risk of forfeiting payment).

More likely, there were several (seemingly many) empty tables, because they seat on each half hour. So assuming a typical dining party takes more than an hour, they need to have some tables available for the "next half hour" and the "next hour", too.

And they also will hold tables for up to 15 minutes.

(I think they'll try to call to reach someone who hasn't shown up. After all, they *definitely* know who you are, unlike at a regular restaurant in "any city".)

Obviously, some people may linger longer, and some may stay a shorter amount of time, so they need to schedule based upon averages.

I think this would be especially tricky on a ship, with most people paying in advance (UDP or just "per evening").

GeezerCouple

Restaurants which are "full", yet "half-empty" are usually that way in order to stagger the impact on the kitchen & the wait-staff.

They also seat on the 15 minute marks.

Stephen

TIA

Yes - I beleive so! I do not think the reservation system has any way to know "how" you got the UDP - but it will be listed for your booking.

I loved being able to book all our dinners and entertainment on line. Never done it that way - have usually just booked through the Haven Concierge once on board. But this time we are sailing with some non Haven guests and wanted to make sure we had everything coordinated! Worked PERFECTLY - even the "included" Illusionarum show the first night - with our UDP. Will probably do it that way next time too!

Edited by happy cruzin

Last month we were in a Suite on the Spirit, and while strolling through the atrium, I inquired at the desk for dinner reservations at Le Bistro a few nites ahead for 7PM. They told me they could not do 7PM, but could do 9PM.

We spoke to our concierge later that day, and were booked for 7PM.

The place was 50-75% full at 7PM, & never filled up. I do not know why they schedule like this, but have had this same thing occur before. Where they say they do not have availability, but they do.

The thing to remember is that NCL is Freestyle, and therefore people expect to be able to dine at their place of choice with NO reservations, as advertised. They cannot fully book any venue to max capacity (except for Teppanyaki which has very limited seating) and shut out every single cruiser who actually wants to dine with little or no planning.

So, while the number of tables allocated for reservations at any given time may be at max and you may be denied a "reservation", Freestyle folks are walking up and being seated. We have never in 6 cruises been shut out of a venue. We have sometimes waited a few minutes, but always got in, not in a suite, no UDP.