T Mobile on European cruises

littlelulu01

I know that making calls and using Internet generally goes thru a service like cellular at sea or the ships Internet but I am trying to figure out costs to text and Internet with the t mobile international plan.

Cruise to Alaska and Pacific Northwest that we took often had cell service available and there was no extra charges- it was not going thru ship service though and was not always available but texts would come through in the middle of nowhere and when close to land we were at times able to get Internet and make calls through local providers with no charges.

Daughter currently in Europe and the t mobile plan has been a lifesaver. It allows free data, some countries slower than others but its free, free texts as well. She just turns on iPhone 6 in whatever country and then gets to use local provider for free.

We are meeting up with her in the spring to go on a two week cruise and wondering if cell service will be available on the ship, not the cell service thru the ship at x $ per min, but if when on the ship the phone will pick up various local providers like it did in Canada, alaska and the Pacific Northwest? If a local provider shows available then we can use it free with tmobile but just not sure if that happens in Mediterranean. Any experience?

Call T Mobile and tell them where you are going to be cruising. They will likely have a talk and data package specifically for Europe and can set up your phone so that you will only have it for the time you are overseas. Usually you get like an hour of talk time and then unlimited texts or some such package. They also explained to me what settings to use on my IPhone for this. If you don't call them, then you could incur roaming charges for Europe which could be very costly. I did this for a cruise in the Caribbean - I didn't get a calling plan and racked up $400 for 2 brief phone calls and a couple of texts and also using the internet on my phone for about an hour to read emails. Luckily my phone company contacted me and when I explained what was going on - my 88 year old mom had a fatal illness and I was trying to keep in touch with the caregivers while I was on vacation for a week - they generously reduced the charges - they volunteered to do this - I didn't ask them and then they explained to me to call in advance of future out of country trips so they could give me an inexpensive package. On my next cruise I got the package - it was $60 for the week.

I haven't cruised Europe since I got T-Mobile but had great coverage in Eastern Europe -- Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania -- as we entered each country I would get a message about charges for text/data or voice. The EU countries were very cheap, and the non-EU country was still not bad.

I did not contact T-Mobile before going, it was just there! Better coverage than I have in rural Utah near my family!

The availability of data depends on the line but AFAIK if you can get data on the ship it's $15/megabyte (i.e., a ridiculous amount) but texts can be sent for 50 cents and received for free (or as part of your text allotment if you're not on an unlimited plan). Calls on the ship are $5.99 a minute pretty much universally with T-Mobile even if you have an Easy Choice plan that gives you 20 cents per minute on land.

Click on "Going on a cruise?" about halfway down this page and enter your ship's name:

http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

Your phone should have a provision to choose which network to connect to so you can select the land networks rather than the ship. I've been able to access land-based cell towers 20 miles or more at sea but if you accidentally make a data connection through the ship's cell towers it will cost a lot of money quickly so better to turn off all data unless you know you're not roaming on the ship's tower.

If your phone has WiFi calling capability it will cheaper to use that on the ship if you can make it work. WiFi costs 50-75 cents per minute that you're logged into the network depending on whether you buy a WiFi package.

Edited by Underwatr

The availability of data depends on the line but AFAIK if you can get data on the ship it's $15/megabyte (i.e., a ridiculous amount) but texts can be sent for 50 cents and received for free (or as part of your text allotment if you're not on an unlimited plan). Calls on the ship are $5.99 a minute pretty much universally with T-Mobile even if you have an Easy Choice plan that gives you 20 cents per minute on land.

Click on "Going on a cruise?" about halfway down this page and enter your ship's name:

http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

Your phone should have a provision to choose which network to connect to so you can select the land networks rather than the ship. I've been able to access land-based cell towers 20 miles or more at sea but if you accidentally make a data connection through the ship's cell towers it will cost a lot of money quickly so better to turn off all data unless you know you're not roaming on the ship's tower.

If your phone has WiFi calling capability it will cheaper to use that on the ship if you can make it work. WiFi costs 50-75 cents per minute that you're logged into the network depending on whether you buy a WiFi package.

It's my understanding *most* ships have a system in place that blocks out VoIP services like calling over WiFi, skype, facetime, etc etc as there is very limited bandwidth over satellite uplink. On the other hand, a phone call at sea using the "cellular at sea" system is just a cellular interface to the satphone system, so it should work fine. Data (such as VoIP) will have a huge lag, if it even works.

Just a thought on that. :)

T-mobile does have free international roaming though, on some plans and ships. http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html has more info on it; it's definitely plan dependent. but quite handy if you're roaming all over europe and don't want a 20,000$ phone bill when you get home :)

Edited by tbonecopper

I know on land that text and Internet is free with tmobile simple choice. Last bill was zero extra $ and she used phone for texting 580 texts, video and pic texts too and she also used 1.2 gigs of data all at no charge. Wifi calling has not been too good because Internet connection is usually a little too slow. The phone tells her welcome to orange, voda phone etc and she gets to use in the 130 countries for free. iPhone 6 automatically detects the provider.

Given this I would think that if a provider says available while at sea it will be free too as long as its in one of the 130 free countries (I think Croatia is one of the countries it won't be free) but the others we are visiting are free.

When we cruised in the us, Canada... The phone would ask if we wanted to use cellular at sea but you had to say yes and then knew if there was a charge. So in Europe I would think that while at sea the phone would do the same thing? Either say voda phone, orange.... Or if there was going to be a big charge it would ask your permission like welcome to cellular at sea?

On land, using a phone is much different than at sea. T-mobile likely doesn't give "free" cell at sea calls due to the satellite nature. It's a pretty expensive system.

The key here is to keep an eye on what is displayed on your phone. Cell at Sea or Voda. You'll definitely know if you're still connected to the Cell At Sea system or Orange, o2, Voda, etc The phone won't say Voda or Orange, etc etc while at sea. It will say "Cell at Sea" or similar. For example, you'll see AT&T, 901-18, Cellular at Sea, or NOR-18. (I doubt you'll see AT&T, since you're on t-mo) And definitely disable data roaming, or background apps like twitter, facebook, photo uploads, etc could cause a big data bill.

And definitely ask T-mobile if you have the necessary account option enabled, "World Class" I believe they call it. That will let you roam internationally.

Edited by tbonecopper

It's my understanding *most* ships have a system in place that blocks out VoIP services like calling over WiFi, skype, facetime, etc etc as there is very limited bandwidth over satellite uplink. On the other hand, a phone call at sea using the "cellular at sea" system is just a cellular interface to the satphone system, so it should work fine. Data (such as VoIP) will have a huge lag, if it even works.

Just a thought on that. :)

T-mobile does have free international roaming though, on some plans and ships. http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html has more info on it; it's definitely plan dependent. but quite handy if you're roaming all over europe and don't want a 20,000$ phone bill when you get home :)

Thanks. This t-mobile link says for our ship, NCL Jade, receiving texts are free but sending texts are .50 at while at sea. That's not too bad. Talking $5.99/min!

Thanks. This t-mobile link says for our ship, NCL Jade, receiving texts are free but sending texts are .50 at while at sea. That's not too bad. Talking $5.99/min!

No problem. The funny thing is, they probably aren't making much money on the sending/receiving of texts, and minimal on phone calls. Using a satphone to relay calls made/received via a cell phone system really is that costly.

Unlike on land, where they will charge 10, 20, or 50 cents per text sometimes, and the real cost is a fraction of a fraction of a cent. lol.

Definitely watch your data though. Esp when connected at sea. If you have an iPhone, and text a lot of other people with iPhones (blue bubbles, iMessage) or use apps like Facebook Messenger, Line, WhatsApp, etc - that's all going over data, not the system a regular text message goes over. Something to note, since it could add up pretty quick! Also, MMS or picture/video messaging is considered data.

On an iPhone, you can disable cellular data by going to Settings > Cellular > and sliding "Cellular Data" to the right. That will let you send/receive text messages and make/receive phone calls w/o worrying about data costs.

One of the important things to understand is that specific cruise lines have agreements with only some cellular service providers. My cellular service provider doesn't have an agreement with the cruise line I was on - this is why I racked up $400 in calls, text and internet. To avoid that on my next cruise I had to call them and buy a specific package ahead of the cruise.

On land, using a phone is much different than at sea. T-mobile likely doesn't give "free" cell at sea calls due to the satellite nature. It's a pretty expensive system.

The key here is to keep an eye on what is displayed on your phone. Cell at Sea or Voda. You'll definitely know if you're still connected to the Cell At Sea system or Orange, o2, Voda, etc The phone won't say Voda or Orange, etc etc while at sea. It will say "Cell at Sea" or similar. For example, you'll see AT&T, 901-18, Cellular at Sea, or NOR-18. (I doubt you'll see AT&T, since you're on t-mo) And definitely disable data roaming, or background apps like twitter, facebook, photo uploads, etc could cause a big data bill.

And definitely ask T-mobile if you have the necessary account option enabled, "World Class" I believe they call it. That will let you roam internationally.

Thanks. When she first arrived in Europe the phone was not working that great. I called and they said it was because it was locked. They unlocked it and it just started working great. They also enabled something, probably that world thing you are talking about.

The one thing I don't get is that a person could incur a huge data bill without committing. When we were on a recent cruise in the us I did not turn off data roaming or anything. I made sure not to say yes to cellular at sea and only texted or used Internet when it said Rogers, verizon etc. I had no extra charges. Granted most of the time the data was blocked and cellular at sea was the only choice and when this was the case I did not try and use, but occasionally, especially when close to land there would be data available that was free, ie not cellular at sea. When it was avail we would use and zero extra. With all the countries so close in the Mediterranean I would think that the same thing would happen, most of the time blocked and only ship service avail but occasionally voda phone or other provider avail.

No problem. The funny thing is, they probably aren't making much money on the sending/receiving of texts, and minimal on phone calls. Using a satphone to relay calls made/received via a cell phone system really is that costly.

Unlike on land, where they will charge 10, 20, or 50 cents per text sometimes, and the real cost is a fraction of a fraction of a cent. lol.

Definitely watch your data though. Esp when connected at sea. If you have an iPhone, and text a lot of other people with iPhones (blue bubbles, iMessage) or use apps like Facebook Messenger, Line, WhatsApp, etc - that's all going over data, not the system a regular text message goes over. Something to note, since it could add up pretty quick! Also, MMS or picture/video messaging is considered data.

On an iPhone, you can disable cellular data by going to Settings > Cellular > and sliding "Cellular Data" to the right. That will let you send/receive text messages and make/receive phone calls w/o worrying about data costs.

I guess the safest bet is to just disable cellular data when the ship is at sea. There is only a couple of full sea days, kids can do without for a couple days.

I'm amazed that we are able to communicate on land with the tmobile plan. Last year with verizon we ended up having to purchase SIM cards... And it was a real pain. This year I switched to tmobile specifically to have data and text free in Europe. Was not sure it would work right but it has exceeded our expectations and when I got the bill I was relieved that it truly was "free". was initially concerned especially because I was checking daughters use and she was burning up data and texting a lot.

Thanks. When she first arrived in Europe the phone was not working that great. I called and they said it was because it was locked. They unlocked it and it just started working great. They also enabled something, probably that world thing you are talking about.

The one thing I don't get is that a person could incur a huge data bill without committing. When we were on a recent cruise in the us I did not turn off data roaming or anything. I made sure not to say yes to cellular at sea and only texted or used Internet when it said Rogers, verizon etc. I had no extra charges. Granted most of the time the data was blocked and cellular at sea was the only choice and when this was the case I did not try and use, but occasionally, especially when close to land there would be data available that was free, ie not cellular at sea. When it was avail we would use and zero extra. With all the countries so close in the Mediterranean I would think that the same thing would happen, most of the time blocked and only ship service avail but occasionally voda phone or other provider avail.

Well, that all falls back to GSM. See, back in the day, when cell phones were created, we had one type of "service" - analog. Remember the car phones, with the huge antenna? Or a "bagphone"?

When the world transitioned to digital, most of it used a technology called GSM. Most of the world (i.e. >80%) uses GSM. In america, T-Mobile and AT&T use GSM. The others, use CDMA (Sprint and Verizon). Canada also has a few CDMA providers, and GSM. CDMA and GSM aren't really compatible with each other in the sense of roaming.

Verizon and Sprint actually have a large number of "world phones" which have chips in them to enable their customers to roam internationally on GSM networks. Since their "at home" tech is fairly proprietary. These phones usually have a SIM card in them used for international use, instead of domestic.

In Europe, you'll see Deutsche Telekom (spelling?), Voda, Orange, o2 , etc in many countries. They often have roaming agreements in place for their own customers who travel from the UK to France often, for example. This enabled a system that doesn't really "ask" you if it's okay to roam, lol.

Since the rest of the world grew up with this seamless roaming, it's innate to their nature to pay attention and check which network they're on. Unlike America, where *most* of us don't ever roam in our own country, let alone - internationally.

Sorry for the long post, :)

Edited by tbonecopper

If you find a ship where T-Mobile has free roaming I'd like to see it. Every one I've looked up is $5.99 per minute and $15 per megabyte when they have data service at all.

Well, that all falls back to GSM. See, back in the day, when cell phones were created, we had one type of "service" - analog. Remember the car phones, with the huge antenna? Or a "bagphone"?

When the world transitioned to digital, most of it used a technology called GSM. Most of the world (i.e. >80%) uses GSM. In america, T-Mobile and AT&T use GSM. The others, use CDMA (Sprint and Verizon). Canada also has a few CDMA providers, and GSM. CDMA and GSM aren't really compatible with each other in the sense of roaming.

Verizon and Sprint actually have a large number of "world phones" which have chips in them to enable their customers to roam internationally on GSM networks. Since their "at home" tech is fairly proprietary. These phones usually have a SIM card in them used for international use, instead of domestic.

In Europe, you'll see Deutsche Telekom (spelling?), Voda, Orange, o2 , etc in many countries. They often have roaming agreements in place for their own customers who travel from the UK to France often, for example. This enabled a system that doesn't really "ask" you if it's okay to roam, lol.

Since the rest of the world grew up with this seamless roaming, it's innate to their nature to pay attention and check which network they're on. Unlike America, where *most* of us don't ever roam in our own country, let alone - internationally.

Sorry for the long post, :)

Yeah, I just wish there was a website to google with definitive up to date instructions with; this is what you do, this works this does not work... Because even when I call provider and ask directly I get very different answers. Looking at the fine print on websites can also be confusing.

I just about had a heart attack a couple years ago with international fees charged using verizon so with daughter studying abroad tried to have it all set to work and switched to tmobile. Thought I had everything set up, had talked to tmobile a couple times, read their fine print etc and sent her off.

Upon arrival I still had to make a couple calls to get it running right. Add wifi calling, get phone unlocked get instructions on a few things. Granted tmobile customer service has been great so far but still a hassle had I not been here trouble shooting for her. I think it's all sorted out now for when we all meet up.

Yeah, I just wish there was a website to google with definitive up to date instructions with; this is what you do, this works this does not work... Because even when I call provider and ask directly I get very different answers. Looking at the fine print on websites can also be confusing.

I just about had a heart attack a couple years ago with international fees charged using verizon so with daughter studying abroad tried to have it all set to work and switched to tmobile. Thought I had everything set up, had talked to tmobile a couple times, read their fine print etc and sent her off.

Upon arrival I still had to make a couple calls to get it running right. Add wifi calling, get phone unlocked get instructions on a few things. Granted tmobile customer service has been great so far but still a hassle had I not been here trouble shooting for her. I think it's all sorted out now for when we all meet up.

Yea, it's definitely a tedious process. I think it varies so much because each cruise line uses a different provider for their satphone service. For example, MTNsat.com is pretty popular. But there are a few others. That could be why there's a lack of documentation. IMO, I'd use part of the post cruise survey to ask the cruise line to provide more information on this to their passengers. It's not really difficult to liase with the phone companies to get the info in sync.