Worried about having to Cancel Cruise

tipfamily

I've been on this board everyday for the past several months reading all of your posts. I have scheduled my first cruise on the Valor on May 28, 2006 for a graduation present, 5 year anniversary celebration, and a well-needed vacation. However, my husband just got laid off today and is looking for a new job. Now, I'm afraid that wherever he finds a new job that they will not allow him to take off for a week in May being that he is a new employee and does not have vacation built up. Anyone take a cruise after starting a new job? Do you think they will let him take personal/sick days by then? Please give me hope!!! Thank you for your thoughts.

I'm sorry for your dilemma... but we have no way of knowing :( That is up to his employers... however, what he can do is if he receives an offer, he can tell them that the condition of accepting the job is they allow him to take his already scheduled vacation... then he doesn't have to worry about it... if the employer says it is a no-go, well... what is more important, a job or cruise???? Good luck, hopefully he will find something quick!!

Yes, same thing just happened to one of my gals that is cruising with me. She accepted a new job only on the condition they would allow her to take off for this cruise we have planned over 1 year. It's a go, she got the job & is cruising with me in Oct!! :D

Happy sailing,

T.

I've been on this board everyday for the past several months reading all of your posts. I have scheduled my first cruise on the Valor on May 28, 2006 for a graduation present, 5 year anniversary celebration, and a well-needed vacation. However, my husband just got laid off today and is looking for a new job. Now, I'm afraid that wherever he finds a new job that they will not allow him to take off for a week in May being that he is a new employee and does not have vacation built up. Anyone take a cruise after starting a new job? Do you think they will let him take personal/sick days by then? Please give me hope!!! Thank you for your thoughts.

A condition of employment from your husband's point of view would be that your existing cruise plans be honored for vacation time off. If the employer will not agree, then I guess he has the same choice anyone does that is seeking employment - accept or keep looking. I really hope it works out in your favor - cruising is a wonderful way to spend time off but corporate America is more and more about the bottom line any more.

My husband is a job hopper and, since we've always planned our vacations very far in advance, has had that problem a couple of times. He's never had a problem getting the time off unpaid. I think his current job may have even gone ahead and paid him anyway.

This also happened to myself, after they had hired me I told them I had booked vacation. They let me go but it all depends on the employer and wait til you are hired to tell them.

I am only quoting this as an example, not meant to be a slam.

I would highly recommend that the vacation be brought up early in the negotiations. Any employer worth their salt would be happy to include this in the job offer. Bringing this up in adavance rather than after accepting the job indicates the the prospective employee has good chacter and integrity.

Good Luck

As an employer, I assume when I hire someone that they may have already made vacation plans ahead of time. I usually ask in interviews. If I really like the person, I would probably still hire the person regardless of their plans.

Depending on the timing of hire and their plans, they may not qualify for vacation pay. New hires will start earning vacation days after 6 months. Of course every company is different but I can tell you I don't like to be surprised after I hired someone.

In short, if your husband is upfront with his prospects that he has already booked and paid for a vacatiion/graduation, I am sure there won't be an issue.

Good luck!

I've switched jobs while I had a pending cruise, and I've always been upfront with my prospective new employer and told them my plans. I've never run into a problem. I've always assured them that if I don't qualify for vacation time, I'd take it without pay. I've always gotten the job and the vacation time off.

BTW, we'll be on the same cruise (Valor 5/28/06). Our youngest is graduating from college and we've made it a tradition to always take the kids on a cruise when each one finishes college. The last one was two years ago, and not only did we bring our four boys, but they brought along 4 of their friends (their friends paid their own way, of course). This time we'll have our four boys and 3 of their friends. We can't wait!

As a human resource manager in a large, well-known corporation, I've encountered this situation many times. I agree with cubdaddy: don't surprise me after you're hired. However, don't introduce yourself in the interview by stating that if hired you'll need a week of vacation!! Once it looks like things are going well and it might be a mutual fit, bring the topic up as benefits are discussed. Every company has some things that are negotiable and some things that aren't. If it's a reasonable request (a pre-scheduled, prepaid vacation with the employee offering to use any available vacation and take the rest unpaid if necessary or something similar to that), we always work with the new employee, which hopefully validates their decision to join us and makes for a good relationship going forward. However, a smaller company might be less able or willing to accommodate the request.

I'm a professional recruiter and run into this situation frequently. I've worked in an agency (re: headhunter) environment and worked with all sizes of companies, and now I'm employed by the Fortune 13 company. In all my years of doing this, I've never seen an employer fail to make an offer to their candidate of choice because of a pre-planned vacation.

When your husband gets the offer, he should tell the company that he would love to join, but he does have a vacation already planned he wants to make them aware of. I'd be shocked if they don't accommodate him.

I agree that it should be brought up before being hired. Sometime in the interview process, NOT as a surprise later. Over the years, I've hired many people who had planned vacations. I worked around this IF I really wanted to hire the person.

This happened to me in Jan. of 2004. I was interviewing for the position (which I now have), and explained up-front that I had booked a week's vacation in Cancun for May of that year. I was hired and was allowed to take my pre-planned vacation with a pro-rated vacation pay. I'm sure you will be just fine, and good luck to your husband in finding a new job!

Reading all of your responses gives me much hope. What I really should be concerned about is hoping he gets a job so we can finish paying for the cruise!! :rolleyes: But, I am determined to make it happen one way or another!! Thanks for all of your well wishes!! I really appreciate everyone's kindness on these boards and am so glad I found Cruise Critic. I've been keeping my eye open for any group cruises going on May 28 because I would love to go on a Cruise Critic group cruise!! :D

Archived