SuperBowl event onboard?

bloomcruisers

We've cruised before when the Super Bowl is being played and there has always been an event in the main theater/show area with the game on the big screen and tailgate type food. But all of our previous experiences have been when the game is on at night and the ship is at sea.

This year, we will be on the Solstice in New Zealand so game time will be about 2pm and we will be in port until 7pm. Does anyone know if the ship will still hold a Superbowl event since it is docked or will we need to try to find a pub somewhere ashore to watch?

I'm not sure how much interest there is in New Zealand for american football so it's possible that finding somewhere ashore may not be an easy task.

By my calculation the Superbowl kickoff should be 12:30pm NZ time. I have been onboard during a US Presidential Inauguration during the day while sitting in port. They had the largest lounge set up with coffee, lemonade, pastries etc. IF they can get the game, I would 100% expect it to be shown on the ship, and with some tailgate foods. I will be aboard a ship at sea in the Caribbean for this year's Super Bowl, and I know people would be disappointed (read howl in protest) if they didn't do their best to put the show on.

Thom

Hi Thom, they always show the Superbowl on Caribbean cruises:D..sea day or port day.

As for being in New Zealand? I have never been there.....but I know

Australia is about 16 hours ahead of the Eastern Time here in the US.......

Kickoff is about 6:30pm Eastern time.......so sometime the next day

by you.....Is New Zealand the same time zone as Australia?

I would check with Guest Relations after you board the ship and hopefully

they will know or will be able to find out the answer for you:)

Hi Thom, they always show the Superbowl on Caribbean cruises:D..sea day or port day.

As for being in New Zealand? I have never been there.....but I know

Australia is about 16 hours ahead of the Eastern Time here in the US.......

Kickoff is about 6:30pm Eastern time.......so sometime the next day

by you.....Is New Zealand the same time zone as Australia?

Yes that would be Monday afternoon in NZ. Ignoring Daylight time, NZ is GMT +12, Sydney/Melbourne are GMT +10, Adelaide is GMT + 9.5 and Perth is GMT + 8. SuperBowl kickoff is at 4:30pm in AZ, which is GMT -7. NZ & Oz should currently be on Daylight Time. So NZ would be +12 -(-7) + 1[for Daylight Time] or 20 hours ahead of AZ. I hope I got that right:rolleyes:

Thom

Edited by TravelerThom

By my calculation the Superbowl kickoff should be 12:30pm NZ time. I have been onboard during a US Presidential Inauguration during the day while sitting in port. They had the largest lounge set up with coffee, lemonade, pastries etc. IF they can get the game, I would 100% expect it to be shown on the ship, and with some tailgate foods. I will be aboard a ship at sea in the Caribbean for this year's Super Bowl, and I know people would be disappointed (read howl in protest) if they didn't do their best to put the show on.

Thom

Yes, you are right about kickoff time. My mistake was thinking kickoff was 8pm eastern time, therefore 2pm the next day in NZ. But if it is 6:30pm eastern then that makes it 12:30pm in NZ. Were you on a celebrity ship for that inauguration in port? If so, then I have hope.

You can, however, rest assured you will definitely get a nice game event in the caribbean since that is where we've enjoyed the parties on past cruises. No howling will be necessary.

I will do that but had hoped to know ahead of time if any land based planning would be needed. Some people on our roll call are taking a tour that includes going to a pub that will be showing the game. I prefer not having to take a tour to see the game.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm NOT the number 1 fan of professional sports. As a taxpayer I'm not happy paying to build stadiums to subsidize billionaire team owners and multimillionaire players (some who are coddled felons walking the streets solely because they can amuse the populace). I guess my main interest in this thread is just to figure out the technical time details - but I digress, and now return you to your regularly scheduled program:rolleyes::

I THNK the immediate pre-game show starts at 6pm EST, and the kick-off is at/about 6:30. I'm amazed at how much trouble I'm having finding game time, which should be a simple fact on the internet. IF the game is available by satellite in NZ (virtually positive that it is, and you say it will be in pubs there), then the next question is whether it is on a channel that Celebrity is paying for. Apparently viewing rights for commercial venues (which the ship is) are both expensive and complicated. There are separate fees for showing a movie (not sure about TV) in the theatre vs. in your room vs. on deck; if the ship purchases the rights to show a movie on deck and the weather turns nasty, they may not just move it to the theatre without paying for rights to show it there.

I'd check not only with Guest Relations, but even more to the point with the CD (who has responsibility for all ship board entertainment). The Superbowl is by far the biggest single day sporting event in the US, and I'm sure that Solstice will have a significant number of passengers from the US (maybe not as many as Australians, but still significant) who are interested. If the ship can show the Superbowl, I'm sure they will. One bad thing about seeing it on a ship is that you miss the advertisements, the Super Bowl being the ONE venue for ad companies to actually have new and maybe even interesting ads.

Looks like you will be in Dunedin, NZ during the event. NZ is perhaps my favorite country to visit (and I have been to over 100). I was on the Solstice Inaugural back in 2008, and have sailed on other times.

ENJOY:)

Thom

There is actually a media officer who is in charge of all of that type of entertainment onboard. That is the person I would check with, if Guest Relations does not know. It is true that the CD would know if there were an event planned. If there is no event (unlikely) then it could still be broadcast on the televisions if it is available in their satellite stream.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm NOT the number 1 fan of professional sports. As a taxpayer I'm not happy paying to build stadiums to subsidize billionaire team owners and multimillionaire players (some who are coddled felons walking the streets solely because they can amuse the populace). I guess my main interest in this thread is just to figure out the technical time details - but I digress, and now return you to your regularly scheduled program:rolleyes::

I THNK the immediate pre-game show starts at 6pm EST, and the kick-off is at/about 6:30. I'm amazed at how much trouble I'm having finding game time, which should be a simple fact on the internet. IF the game is available by satellite in NZ (virtually positive that it is, and you say it will be in pubs there), then the next question is whether it is on a channel that Celebrity is paying for. Apparently viewing rights for commercial venues (which the ship is) are both expensive and complicated. There are separate fees for showing a movie (not sure about TV) in the theatre vs. in your room vs. on deck; if the ship purchases the rights to show a movie on deck and the weather turns nasty, they may not just move it to the theatre without paying for rights to show it there.

I'd check not only with Guest Relations, but even more to the point with the CD (who has responsibility for all ship board entertainment). The Superbowl is by far the biggest single day sporting event in the US, and I'm sure that Solstice will have a significant number of passengers from the US (maybe not as many as Australians, but still significant) who are interested. If the ship can show the Superbowl, I'm sure they will. One bad thing about seeing it on a ship is that you miss the advertisements, the Super Bowl being the ONE venue for ad companies to actually have new and maybe even interesting ads.

Looks like you will be in Dunedin, NZ during the event. NZ is perhaps my favorite country to visit (and I have been to over 100). I was on the Solstice Inaugural back in 2008, and have sailed on other times.

ENJOY:)

Thom

My husband is in strong agreement with your opening remarks about taxpayer money subsidizing professional sports. And I am one whose favorite parts of the super bowl are the commercials and halftime show. As a college football fan who doesn't live in proximity to any pro teams, I don't really have any vested interest in the outcome of the game. But I enjoy it for the hooplaa. And since I don't care who wins, I always end up happy afterwards!

Yes, we will be in Dunedin. Since we are doing a 16 nt driving trip of both north and south islands after the cruise, we can afford to just enjoy the ship's event if they have one and not worry about needing to get to some tourist attraction. Our onboard included drinks package will help with that :)

Suprised at all the questions about this. Answer is a simple YES. Celebrity has all manner of satellite channels and will show the game. As to an event it depends on the timing. Was on a cruise some years ago in Australia and they agreed to show the final four in basketball on the TV. All it took was a request - probably lots of them - to see the event.

And yes, Denedn is wonderful. Miss NZ.