Crab Shack - ALL YOU CAN EAT?

dvcmember

We are on the Ruby now. Went to the Crab Shack Tuesday. The crab was excellent - some of the best I've ever had. The waiters kept insisting I have more, which I did to the point of bursting. I could eat only about half of the shrimp. Looking back, I should have skipped the soup, hush puppies, and shrimp before the crab. Today in Juneau, I saw a menu at a popular crab restaurant where the price for one crab leg was $35. A three pound bucket of legs was $110. I felt I certainly got my money's worth at $20 in the Crab Shack. It is offered three nights on this cruise.

I also concur with this sentiment. Not very impressed with the Crab Shack at all on the recent Island Princess cruise.

It was all you can eat, but after finishing the first bowl, we just didn't want to have any more. And I am a big seafood fan.

The quality of the crab is what you get at the supermarket with the frozen crabs. Very salty and the meat is soft.

Not sure why the Crab Shack gets all this fan fare, maybe for folks not able to eat/get the fresh seafood it may be a good option, but for anyone that has eaten or know what fresh seafood is, the Crab Shack is a big pass.

Look at whats in it. The king crab is caught off Alaska, taken out of state for processing then shipped frozen wherever including back into Alaska - ditto snow crab. That means in Alaska the only fresh crab is either right off the boat (unlikely) or the Dungeness. Regardless of where you are certain types of seafood were most definitely frozen.

Edited by Emperor Norton

My mistake - it hit me last night out of the blue! It wasn't the Ruby where we had a bad Shack experience. It had to have been the Coral.

Re: difference between Tracey's Crab Shack and the Ships Crab Shack. No comparison. Yes, Tracey's is more expensive but it's fresh, local and such a treat. Worth every dollar and calorie.

Why does 1 ship continue to operate like this? :rolleyes:

Obviously its obvious. :cool:

I find it amazing, Keith. In 19 Princess cruises, I have never seen such a disregard for passengers or food that was absolutely inedible.

Cheers, Denise

I was on the Crown December 2014 and it definitely was not all you can eat ,we were a party of six and we asked for more crab legs and we were told by the waiter and head waiter that we could not have more unless we wanted to pay 20 more dollars .QUOTE=dvcmember;45223583]Sailing on the Regal next month and want to dine during the Crab Shack event. Does anyone know if the seafood is unlimited or pre-portioned? I love cab legs, but one set will not justify the $20 cover charge.

To get back to the OP's original question, isn't ALL the food on board all you can eat?

Not that I have the appetite for it, but you can even order two steak dinners, or even three in Crown Grill. (Now maybe they would call a stop at some point, :D). You can order more servings in MDR and extra desserts. You can stuff yourself full of burgers and pizzas. You can try every item on display in the IC show case - and then start all over again.

:eek:

If you order 2-3 dinners at Crown Grill, I imagine that they would charge you for them, though. It seems that some ships will let you have all you can eat at the Crab Shack for no extra surcharge and others won't.

We had a very nice meal at the CS on Sapphire in 2014, and a mediocre one on Golden last month. On Sapphire I remember the food being hot and tasty while on Golden the crab was too salty and too hard to get out of the shell. And the portions were obscene IMO - we each left over half behind.

If you order 2-3 dinners at Crown Grill, I imagine that they would charge you for them, though. It seems that some ships will let you have all you can eat at the Crab Shack for no extra surcharge and others won't.

Hi Jean, thats exactly what I do in the CG. I order a ribeye/lamb chops/lobster. Or some version of that.

Have never been questioned. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I find it amazing, Keith. In 19 Princess cruises, I have never seen such a disregard for passengers or food that was absolutely inedible.

Cheers, Denise

Was Jean Paul Musiu the maitre d on your cruise? I often wonder how he keeps his job.:rolleyes:

I've done Crab Shack twice. Once on the Star in 12/2013 and once on the Grand in 12/2014. I enjoyed both times. I have to admit I'm not a crab expert, but I eat a lot of seafood. Both times we had more food than we could eat and I'm not a skimpy eater. I'm sorry so many have had bad experiences. I think food, in general, can vary depending on who is working on each individual ship. The first picture is from the Star. The second two are from the Grand and we had another pan with crab...three altogether.

DSCN1613.jpg.340cc7695fc363fe7b29f72a310540bc.jpg

DSCN3548.jpg.511361b38dd6731b470db9bbb462c391.jpg

DSCN3547.jpg.217297557d2eda18ec12ccd33c830d68.jpg

Edited by KruzPrincess