Charge for Lobster Formal night Freedom

The Canuks

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the lobster tail and how well it was cooked in the MDR. I only ordered it on formal night, but if I had known how good it was, I would have ordered it on other nights. I honestly expected it to be overcooked and tough but it wasn't.

For summer 2015, the cheapest balcony for a 7 day cruise is 3,000 + tax. Even with free grats and 350 in OBC, you're still paying for your lobster, no matter how you cut it.

If you can afford Oceania, good for you, but there is no reason to tell us to talk to a TA about your cruise line of choice since 99.99% of the readers and contributors on the Carnival boards have absolutely no interest in Oceania.

Just looked at O website and there does not appear to be any 7 day O Caribbean in summer 2015 (maybe I missed something). There is a 7 day in March, which is $2600 (including tax) for balcony including airfare.

But, to make a fare comparison with mass market, let's subtract air credit of approx. $500/person and about $150/person in OBC and $100 in gratuities (TA or O) and value of beverage package plus a couple of specialty dinners at about $100. You are now at $1750 before subtracting any incentive a top O agent can get for "first time O customer - let's say another $200 (approx. 10% of after air credit cabin cost). Your bottom line is now $1550 for O. This rivals many mass market lines and is certainly far less than the $8k I seem to remember somebody posting earlier (?).

Carnival may still work out to be cheaper. But then you need to look at the qualitative values - the far better food and amenities, and the lack of all the things that turn so many of us off: the hordes, announcements, art shows, photogs, "prom" nights.

My main point is that a smart shopper should take a look at premiums like O. They are not as far out of reach as some CC folks would have you believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just looked at O website and there does not appear to be any 7 day O Caribbean in summer 2015 (maybe I missed something). There is a 7 day in March, which is $2600 (including tax) for balcony including airfare.

But, to make a fare comparison with mass market, let's subtract air credit of approx. $500/person and about $150/person in OBC and $100 in gratuities (TA or O) and value of beverage package plus a couple of specialty dinners at about $100. You are now at $1750 before subtracting any incentive a top O agent can get for "first time O customer - let's say another $200 (approx. 10% of after air credit cabin cost). Your bottom line is now $1550 for O. This rivals many mass market lines and is certainly far less than the $8k I seem to remember somebody posting earlier (?).

Carnival may still work out to be cheaper. But then you need to look at the qualitative values - the far better food and amenities, and the lack of all the things that turn so many of us off: the hordes, announcements, art shows, photogs, "prom" nights.

My main point is that a smart shopper should take a look at premiums like O. They are not as far out of reach as some CC folks would have you believe.

A lot of the value you assume people will use may not be the case. Many people don't need to fly. Many people drink sparingly or not at all. Incentives from "a top O agent" may not be gotten. And not everyone needs or wants a balcony. Nope, not as great a value compared to what you try to claim.

What's wrong with "prom night"? I got lucky on "prom night"! :D

Edited by Out to sea!

You can pay extra and order lobster from the steakhouse.

I have nattered a bit in the past about the quality of the lobster served in the MDR, and have not ordered it in years because I thought it was not up to my standards. Last November on first elegant night, I was not thrilled with much on the MDR menu, so I said WTH, I will give the lobster a try again.

I really liked it! It was cooked nicely, and not dried out. I was pleasantly surprised. And the shrimp that come with it are good too. For those with bigger appetites though, you may want to order more than one, which I saw many people near me doing. One was enough for me though.

I would not pay extra for lobster on that night, but it is a nice option if you are hankering for lobster on a different night when it is not available on the regular menu.

just wondering why this is being posted on a carnival thread ??

Are you an agent looking for bidness - perhaps a stealthy rep from Oceania ?

just wondering - maybe I'll head over to the Oceania threads and post about Princess and HAL -

Hello

I am hoping someone can clear this up for me prior to my cruise on the Freedom (Jan 25 2015). I have read 2 member reviews that stated they were charged for Lobster in the MDR.

Please someone let me know for sure if Carnival has resorted to charging for the Lobster tails on formal night in the MDR?

Thanks

The Canuks

Another member that is wrong, there is no charge for the lobster from the MDR menu on Cruise Elegant Night, the lobster is smaller and mushy and comes with a few shrimp, the lobster from the Steakhouse is larger and firm, you can order it in the Steakhouse for $35 or off the MDR menu for $20, not to be confused with the Cruise Elegant Night lobster.

Another member that is wrong, there is no charge for the lobster from the MDR menu on Cruise Elegant Night, the lobster is smaller and mushy and comes with a few shrimp, the lobster from the Steakhouse is larger and firm, you can order it in the Steakhouse for $35 or off the MDR menu for $20, not to be confused with the Cruise Elegant Night lobster.

So this is updated/different information from the previous posts in this thread, I'm confused.

just wondering why this is being posted on a carnival thread ??

Are you an agent looking for bidness - perhaps a stealthy rep from Oceania ?

just wondering - maybe I'll head over to the Oceania threads and post about Princess and HAL -

No -just saw the lobster question in the "unread" folder and wanted to share some experience.

Interestingly, you'll find many mentions of Princess et al. on the O board

So this is updated/different information from the previous posts in this thread, I'm confused.

No it is not.

Option 1: Rock lobster tail entree on the menu in the Main Dining Room on the first cruise elegant evening. No additional charge.

Option 2: Maine lobster tail available to purchase for $20 in the Main Dining Room any evening, including the first cruise elegant evening.

Option 3: Maine lobster tail available as an entree on the menu in the Steakhouse (also includes appetizer, salad, and dessert) for $35 per person.

No it is not.

Option 1: Rock lobster tail entree on the menu in the Main Dining Room on the first cruise elegant evening. No additional charge.

Option 2: Maine lobster tail available to purchase for $20 in the Main Dining Room any evening, including the first cruise elegant evening.

Option 3: Maine lobster tail available as an entree on the menu in the Steakhouse (also includes appetizer, salad, and dessert) for $35 per person.

Thanks, I was asking the member who posted that ;)

FLATBUSH.... I was responding to your post back on #24 of this thread when you had mentioned an Alaska cruise. That was the summer one for 3000 that I found online with grats and 350 in OBC. I will agree that people should take blinders off and see what other options that are available such as the 123 promotion from Celebrity. But in reality it's too much of a leap to assume that the average Carnival cruiser would even be remotely interested in Oceania.

No it is not.

If I am wrong I'm sure I will be corrected, but option 2 I believe is a 1 1/2 pound lobster for 20 in the MDR, not a tail

If I am wrong I'm sure I will be corrected, but option 2 I believe is a 1 1/2 pound lobster for 20 in the MDR, not a tail

I could be wrong as well. I just was going by what my MDR waiter told me on the last cruise, but they could be misinformed as well.