KSF, order of passengers & cancellation

TwinsXTwo

Cruise is in 11 days, my son is listed as the second passenger, cruise was booked with KSF with passengers 3-5 free (in my case). Now, son may not go.

What's my penalty? Is there one if we are going from a booking of five to a booking of four, canceling the person listed second on a KSF booking?

I booked 4 with the same promo. We added a 5th later and paid regular price for him (son's friend). Not too long before our sail date he couldn't go. His mom got port fees and tax back. I think it was about $169 for a 9 night on the Gem she got back. I thought she would of lost it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, we have insurance, but not the cancel for any reason kind.

I don't want a refund, I just don't want to pay more... It's truly bad luck - had I listed him as passenger 3,4, or 5, there would be NO issue.

I have to pay $800 more for just the 4 of us to go.

Why isn't he going? He just got his bball schedule today and he will miss 3 of 8 games if he goes. The cruise was a surprise Christmas present. I had no idea bball meant so much to him. My husband, his Dad, doesn't cruise so son wants to stay home with his Dad and play bball.

And I'm screwed.

Can I ask how old this son is? Is there a chance he will be playing in the NBA some time soon? If not, tell the kid he's going to see the some of this giant world, and have a vacation with his family. He can dribble a basketball some other time.

I don't want a refund, I just don't want to pay more... It's truly bad luck - had I listed him as passenger 3,4, or 5, there would be NO issue.

Why isn't he going? He just got his bball schedule today and he will miss 3 of 8 games if he goes. The cruise was a surprise Christmas present. I had no idea bball meant so much to him. My husband, his Dad, doesn't cruise so son wants to stay home with his Dad and play bball.

And I'm screwed.

You don't have to pay more. He just doesn't show up.

Can I ask how old this son is? Is there a chance he will be playing in the NBA some time soon? If not, tell the kid he's going to see the some of this giant world, and have a vacation with his family. He can dribble a basketball some other time.

He's 10 and has his Father's support to stay home and keep him company...:rolleyes:

Just removed 2nd and 4th passengers out of 5 for a cruise that is leaving Saturday. Passengers 3-5 were free "taxes only" our total fare remained the same. We are able to file insurance and will supposedly receive the full fare the 2nd passenger paid. Taxes are being credited by NCL. I don't understand why your are being told you have to pay additional. Like others said, if you don't need to take him off for insurance reasons, then just do a noshow

He's 10 and has his Father's support to stay home and keep him company...:rolleyes:

Well then, Dad probably is ok with paying the extra money? If Dad wants to spend the $800, it shouldn't be a problem?

And if he "sprains his ankle", insurance is going to want the Dr. statements/bills.

Edited by rvsullivan

And I'm screwed.

$800 more? What kind of cabin are you booked?

And if he "sprains his ankle", insurance is going to want the Dr. statements/bills.
Doesn't sound like insurance is an issue here. OP is not looking for a refund of son's cruise fare, just trying to avoid an additional charge resulting from the re-shuffling of the passengers in the modified booking. No-show sounds like the best solution to me, and no reason needs to be given.

$800 more? What kind of cabin are you booked?

Family ocean view on a kids sail free package - guest 1&2 are full fare, but my guests 3-5 are 'free' and that's the problem, the kid who is not going was NOT listed as guest 3,4 or 5, he is listed as fare #2. Therefore, NCL sees this as a cancellation of fare #2 with full penalty, and then my 'free' guest #3 now becomes #2, but #3 didn't pay a fare yet, so now when #3 becomes #2 that person now has to pay the fare of #2 which was forfeited when #2 cancelled.

And they won't just replace him from the #2 position with my #3 person and then cancel him as #3.

Clear as mud, right?

Doesn't sound like insurance is an issue here. OP is not looking for a refund of son's cruise fare, just trying to avoid an additional charge resulting from the re-shuffling of the passengers in the modified booking. No-show sounds like the best solution to me, and no reason needs to be given.

Correct. I don't want a dime back. I just don't want to pay more because of 'the luck of the draw' where I put son in position #2 and not 3,4, or 5. Passengers 2-5 are all minors and I could have posted them in any order, I just happened to list son as #2.

Family ocean view on a kids sail free package - guest 1&2 are full fare, but my guests 3-5 are 'free' and that's the problem, the kid who is not going was NOT listed as guest 3,4 or 5, he is listed as fare #2. Therefore, NCL sees this as a cancellation of fare #2 with full penalty, and then my 'free' guest #3 now becomes #2, but #3 didn't pay a fare yet, so now when #3 becomes #2 that person now has to pay the fare of #2 which was forfeited when #2 cancelled.

And they won't just replace him from the #2 position with my #3 person and then cancel him as #3.

Clear as mud, right?

I got it:) If this happens again, come back here and we'll advise to have him be a no show rather than cancel. You did the honest thing, but the other way works without new charges.

I agree. I am an equipment manager in the athletic dept at a school. Our kids miss lots of games because of vacations.

This is such helpful info! We're looking at different cruises on NCL out of Houston. DH is prone to last second migraines and canceling plans. Learned solo sailing carries full double occupancy fare anyway. So whether we sailed as a couple or me as a solo, it wouldn't change the fares?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is such helpful info! We're looking at different cruises on NCL out of Houston. DH is prone to last second migraines and canceling plans. Learned solo sailing carries full double occupancy fare anyway. So whether we sailed as a couple or me as a solo, it wouldn't change the fares?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The answer is most of the time. There are a few exceptions, ie. if your ship offers the studio cabins, the rate is for 1 occupancy, and occassionally you will see deals that offer a solo for less than double occupany. But, if you book 2, planning for you both to go, and then end up going solo, that is most likely what you would have paid to go solo anyway.