Crew Welfare Fund

rafinmd

I'm happy you asked the question, Roy.

Many more people are now aware such a fund exists and may make the choice to contribute a bit next time they have a great cruise. :)

Thank you for the thread.

Can you use OBC to donate to the crew fund? I would rather do that then just use it up on extras for me. It's lovely that the crew gets together to chose items that make their "home away from home" a little less sterile and austere. They have so little time off, and I know they try to make the best of it!

I'm happy you asked the question, Roy.

Many more people are now aware such a fund exists and may make the choice to contribute a bit next time they have a great cruise. :)

Thank you for the thread.

I'm another one who didn't know about this. But will most certainly 'add to the pot' on my next cruise. What a lovely idea :)

Can you use OBC to donate to the crew fund? I would rather do that then just use it up on extras for me. It's lovely that the crew gets together to chose items that make their "home away from home" a little less sterile and austere. They have so little time off, and I know they try to make the best of it!

I am 99% sure the answer is yes. Another possibility would be to adjust the HSC upwards. Either is attractive to me, but I am more personally attracted to the Crew Fund idea.

Roy

Great thread Roy.

I have seen the funds on all of the ships I have been on and am glad to hear that all the ships have them as per Copper.

For the cynic that thinks it isn't necessary, didn't you have a staff fund at work? We certainly did for special things whether it be flowers if something happened to a staff member, parties, lunch room, whatever and yes, our employer paid for the lunch room stuff. The bottom line is that these funds are morale boosters at times.

I too was stunned that Oceania didn't have one when I read it on their boards. I, for one am glad that HAL does.

All our birthday cakes, Christmas parties and flowers are paid by petty cash. I guess I have generous employer and its not a big corporation like Hal

I'm sure they would come in useful. The crew of the Ryndam helped an orphanage in Honduras before Christmas. Every child was "adopted" by a crew member who bought personalised presents for them. Those who couldnt choose a child ( because they were quickly " taken "up) donated money to buy essental supplies. Others donated supplies such as soap, shampoo clothing ect. The response was immediate and very generous. No child was without this Christmas. Not sure if mattresses were donated but if offered they would have been snapped up. Those with nothing and existing on donations only are extremely grateful for what is willingly donated. Nothing to do with the crew fund I know but just wanted to point out that what is not required by one is very much treasured by those who have little

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Very nicely put, boone2.:)

Checked with Captain Scott re the Crew Welfare Fund:

"Making a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund is easy – you can give money to the Purser or if something is to be auctioned the Art Auctioneers do it then the money goes to the Purser. We auctioned the old charts off that way, we’re all electronic now."

So... there you go. Easy way to do it. You might even have a reason to attend one of the Art Auctioned.:eek:

Stephen

When we were on the Westerdam early December 2013, it was just shortly after some of the massive weather systems had caused such great destruction.

We always give extra cash to all our stewards, waiters, etc. - but in addition to that we really wanted to help the crew in general and not knowing any better solution, we decided to give to the crew fund.

I must say, our concierges in the NL were confused and unsure about it. One said such a thing does not exist, the other said he thought it still did. In the end I put several hundred dollars in an envelope addressed to the head purser; it also included a note stating the money was for the crew welfare fund. I gave it to the concierge for delivery. This was on day 2 of the cruise, but I never heard another word . :confused:

I assume it found its way to the right place and person, and people were just too busy to acknowledge, but it made me a little unsure about how well that process is known and works.

When we were on the Westerdam early December 2013, it was just shortly after some of the massive weather systems had caused such great destruction.

We always give extra cash to all our stewards, waiters, etc. - but in addition to that we really wanted to help the crew in general and not knowing any better solution, we decided to give to the crew fund.

I must say, our concierges in the NL were confused and unsure about it. One said such a thing does not exist, the other said he thought it still did. In the end I put several hundred dollars in an envelope addressed to the head purser; it also included a note stating the money was for the crew welfare fund. I gave it to the concierge for delivery. This was on day 2 of the cruise, but I never heard another word . :confused:

I assume it found its way to the right place and person, and people were just too busy to acknowledge, but it made me a little unsure about how well that process is known and works.

Hmm. That would send red flags up and ring alarm bells for me. I cannot believe a handsome contribution like that went unacknowledged.

Checked with Captain Scott re the Crew Welfare Fund:

"Making a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund is easy – you can give money to the Purser or if something is to be auctioned the Art Auctioneers do it then the money goes to the Purser. We auctioned the old charts off that way, we’re all electronic now."

So... there you go. Easy way to do it. You might even have a reason to attend one of the Art Auctioned.:eek:

Stephen

Oh wow. I so would have loved to purchase one of the Antarctica charts. That would have been so cool. I just love charts.

Thanks for the practical information, Stephen. jayisgerman, that would raise a red flag with me as well. I know when I donated to the fund for Typhoon Haiyan, I got a nice letter, and I always do when I donate to the Crystal Fund.

Roy

Thanks for the practical information, Stephen. jayisgerman, that would raise a red flag with me as well. I know when I donated to the fund for Typhoon Haiyan, I got a nice letter, and I always do when I donate to the Crystal Fund.

Roy

Hmm. That would send red flags up and ring alarm bells for me. I cannot believe a handsome contribution like that went unacknowledged.

Thank you, Rafin and Lizzie. Yes, I was not sure really how to react to it, because I thought it might be poor etiquette to ask about it after the fact. Anyway, I gave with an open heart and I can only hope it all did find its intended recipients and made a small difference. :) Perhaps next time we will just go directly to the Purser instead?

Thank you, Rafin and Lizzie. Yes, I was not sure really how to react to it, because I thought it might be poor etiquette to ask about it after the fact. Anyway, I gave with an open heart and I can only hope it all did find its intended recipients and made a small difference. :) Perhaps next time we will just go directly to the Purser instead?

I think you said you gave cash. There's a possibility your name got disassociated from the contribution.

Roy