Beware When Booking Cruise with Decide Later Certificate

edeneyes

Last week I booked a cruise with a Decide Later Certificate that I had purchased in 2013. I had made a courtesy hold on a cabin and then called Royal the next day to finalize the booking. The price that they came up with was about $100 more than my Courtesy Hold price. I was on the phone with the agent for an hour or so and supposedly no one on their end could figure out why the difference. I just accepted the booking and they promised they would look into it and get back to me (they never did). When I studied my invoice, I noticed that the port taxes were about $100 more than what was showing on a mock booking for the cruise. I called Royal again last Saturday because the price dropped on my cruise and again the new price they quoted was about $100 more than my mock booking. The agent checked into it for me and determined that the port taxes for my cruise were higher when I purchased my Decide Later certificate so that amount was what their system was charging me. The agent promised that Royal would look into it and behold, on Monday My booking was updated with the current correct charge for the taxes. So when booking with one of these certificates, make sure you are being charged the correct current taxes. I guess that this would also apply to a specific cruise booked far in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One problem with the NextCruise certificate is they consider the booking date the date you purchased the certificate, therefore the rules in place at that time are used on when you actually book. Several years back when they had the fuel surcharge we had purchased one, when we booked they had removed the surcharge but I had to have my TA talk to them to get it removed from my pricing.

They have made the incentive to purchase a certificate without an actual booking so minimal that I will not bother with it again.

• 4 weeks later...
Do these still come with reduced deposits? I guess that would be the only real reason for me to want to purchase one of these..

Yes. The Open Booking certificate is still available for as little as 100.00. Once you add another person, it would be an additional 100.00. You are correct, with the way they have chopped the OBC down so much, this is really the only benefit of buying one.

It now takes a cruise of 15+ nights to get the 100.00 OBC on an open booking.

One problem with the NextCruise certificate is they consider the booking date the date you purchased the certificate, therefore the rules in place at that time are used on when you actually book. Several years back when they had the fuel surcharge we had purchased one, when we booked they had removed the surcharge but I had to have my TA talk to them to get it removed from my pricing.

They have made the incentive to purchase a certificate without an actual booking so minimal that I will not bother with it again.

"Old Rules" can actually be an advantage. If the certificate was purchased under the old rules it is still good for the higher OBC's. Don't remember when the rules changed but 2013 sounds pretty old. It might still be worth the extra. Unfortunately, one usually must remind the C&A representative of this fact:rolleyes: I have a few of these "golden tickets" left so I buy the new ones as insurance just incase I need to book a short cruise I will not have to use up one of the old ones (they are worth a lot more on long cruises).

It's now based on the type of cabin you get as well. If you get an interior it's not worth as much as a balcony. The length of the cruise matters too but it was always $100 for 7 days. I will no longer do this. We are diamond members and have always done the next cruise. We change back and forth from interior and balcony but it's not worth the hassle for $25.00. It's hard to get an appointment on the ship at times to do it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Old Rules" can actually be an advantage. If the certificate was purchased under the old rules it is still good for the higher OBC's. Don't remember when the rules changed but 2013 sounds pretty old. It might still be worth the extra. Unfortunately, one usually must remind the C&A representative of this fact:rolleyes: I have a few of these "golden tickets" left so I buy the new ones as insurance just incase I need to book a short cruise I will not have to use up one of the old ones (they are worth a lot more on long cruises).

I have a few of these too..and will use them wisely...I also purchase a few new ones when I'm onboard...the reduced deposit and the ability to use them for other family members is worth it to me.

It's now based on the type of cabin you get as well. If you get an interior it's not worth as much as a balcony. The length of the cruise matters too but it was always $100 for 7 days. I will no longer do this. We are diamond members and have always done the next cruise. We change back and forth from interior and balcony but it's not worth the hassle for $25.00. It's hard to get an appointment on the ship at times to do it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The amount of the Decide Later OBC is based only on the length of the cruise - if you book an actual cruise onboard, then it's a combination of the level of cabin and the length of the cruise.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/NextCruise/14037219_Onboard_NextCruise_Flyer_2015.pdf

Ok I have a question, I used one from 2012 to book a 7 day on the Adventure of the Seas for June 6th. All they told me was I had to pay another $100 for the deposit and they gave me $200 OBC and used the WOW BOGO half off deal. So should I have gotten more OBC since it was an old one? I still have 1 more from that old sailing to use. Perhaps I should just save it! I do not buy them anymore because I really forget I have them! Too old to remember !

Ok I have a question, I used one from 2012 to book a 7 day on the Adventure of the Seas for June 6th. All they told me was I had to pay another $100 for the deposit and they gave me $200 OBC and used the WOW BOGO half off deal. So should I have gotten more OBC since it was an old one? I still have 1 more from that old sailing to use. Perhaps I should just save it! I do not buy them anymore because I really forget I have them! Too old to remember !

IF you got $200 for 7 days good for you. Don't know if you would ever want to take a really long cruise but the other one would be "golden". On the other hand, booking on board is now even better so it can be hard to decide.

I thought it was called a Next Cruise Certificate. Has RCCL changed the name to Decide Later?

Who knows, they change the name so often I'm not sure they even know.

Yes. The Open Booking certificate is still available for as little as 100.00. Once you add another person, it would be an additional 100.00. You are correct, with the way they have chopped the OBC down so much, this is really the only benefit of buying one.

It now takes a cruise of 15+ nights to get the 100.00 OBC on an open booking.

Hi,

In addition to a balcony issue with our new booking with RCCL, we also have a 2008 issued Next Cruise certificate for $200. Last week I booked via RCCL travel person on the phone. We are Diamond. I paid a $500 cruise deposit for the WOW-BOGOHO Sale. No reduced deposit of $100 ( maybe for inside it's that price??, again, we just have a Balcony, no Suites). We have NO OBC either. I'm seeing that things are quite messy with our booking. Darn! Sigh ..... Bobbi

Hi,

In addition to a balcony issue with our new booking with RCCL, we also have a 2008 issued Next Cruise certificate for $200. Last week I booked via RCCL travel person on the phone. We are Diamond. I paid a $500 cruise deposit for the WOW-BOGOHO Sale. No reduced deposit of $100 ( maybe for inside it's that price??, again, we just have a Balcony, no Suites). We have NO OBC either. I'm seeing that things are quite messy with our booking. Darn! Sigh ..... Bobbi

You need to call and speak to someone in Resolutions...this doesn't sound right Bobbi.