Coral princess obstructed view cabin

vcinmd

Hello. I am taking a cruise for the first time with my family, to Alaska in July. We are considering a cabin with a window, in order to have a glimpse of what is going on outside and provide some natural light. In an effort to save some money I am considering a cabin with obstructed view. It appears that all of the obstructed view cabins are on the Emerald deck....some closer to the public areas and elevators than others. Some obstructed views seem less obstructed than others (between life boats as opposed to one right in front of the view). With that said, does anyone have a photo they can share or experience with the obstructed view room on Coral Princess? Or is it not big deal...considering I am not looking for a full view anyway. Based on other reviews, it seems that much of the time sightseeing from the boat will and can be done in the public area. Many thanks in advance.

Besides checking to see if the cabin window is in between lifeboats also check what is above you and below as far as venues or cabins. Some cabins can be noisy if they are over or under lounges or showrooms.

how much is the price difference?

we originally booked an inside, was upgraded to an obstructed view, then again to a window.

i honestly hated the light, but i sleep in complete darkness at home.

we saw whales from our window and got a nice picture of an amazing lighthouse.

the price difference and your preferences would be most important.

We booked our first obstructed ocean view room on a cruise when they were the exact same price as an inside. Now we book them 80% of the time (the other 20% of the time we book a balcony) and have actually landed in an obstructed ocean view cabin maybe 25% of the time.

Terry

The price difference between inside and obstructed view is approx. $100...small. The price difference between obstructed view and full view is $300-$400.

What I am understanding from AE and sjm is there is chance they will change my room anyway, perhaps to something better once I make the reservation? I am totally new at this.

The price difference between inside and obstructed view is approx. $100...small. The price difference between obstructed view and full view is $300-$400.

What I am understanding from AE and sjm is there is chance they will change my room anyway, perhaps to something better once I make the reservation? I am totally new at this.

To me whether it's an obstructed OV or a regular OV, it only adds some natural light to the cabin & the limited view isn't something I'd pay much to have during a cruise. If we don't get a balcony, then we get an inside although for a month long cruise we paid slightly more to have natural light in our cabin during those 30 days. For us inside cabins are great for sleeping & then we go elsewhere to get a view. That allows us to stretch our cruising budget to enjoy more days onboard unless we get a great deal like on a 10 day cruise that cost us just $50/pp. more to upgrade from an inside to a deluxe balcony close to final payment. :D

Book the obstructed view ocean view category guarantee. You wiil pay the lowest price possible for a window cabin. You understand the worst view you would have out your window. It's likely you will be booked into a higher category window cabin (with a better view).

For the 2/5 cruise we are taking on the Coral, we booked BZ (obstructed view balcony) and were assigned BC about three days after final payment was due. It was a good deal and the cabin location is perfect for us.

One caveat regarding booking a guarantee: you have to be patient waiting for your assignment. It could happen anytime from right after you book until when you arrive at the pier to board. Also, plan to have the cabin you are paying for and then be pleased if you end up with a better assignment.

If you don't want to deal with uncertainty, select a cabin and book it when you make your deposit.

Good luck!

:D

Please explain, what do you mean Seafoam by "guarantee"? Do you mean that you don't select an exact cabin and then Princess assigns me something in that category? I see an obstructed view cabin that I would like E622 but based on your post I am unsure if I should request that when I do my reservation.

Please explain, what do you mean Seafoam by "guarantee"? Do you mean that you don't select an exact cabin and then Princess assigns me something in that category? I see an obstructed view cabin that I would like E622 but based on your post I am unsure if I should request that when I do my reservation.

Yes, go over the guarantee method of booking with your travel agent or the cruiseline before you book. You pay for a particular category and that represents the minimum category level that you will be assigned, and you then wait for Princess to assign your cabin. You know what you are paying, but you don't know which cabin or when between booking and sailing that you will receive your cabin assignment. As I stated before, if you don't care for that much uncertainty, then consider just booking a cabin (i.e. E622) when you make your deposit.

Well, I'm going to disagree with Seafoam. I do not book guaranties in obstructed view categories because the category has no relationship to how obstructed the view is. In your case, E622 is a better view but a lower category than many other obstructed view cabins. So if you took a guarantee in that class of cabin (I think it's OY), you could be upgraded to, say, E509, an OV category cabin. You'll see that E509 actually has a worse view than E622 -- cabin category goes by location on deck, not by what's outside the window.

The odds are always against a better upgrade into a higher class of cabin (obstructed to unobstructed; unobstructed to balcony); I would never count on an upgrade to secure me a good view. I say take E622, mark it "do not upgrade" and congratulate yourself on securing a view at a bargain cost.

On Princess' web site it is called "reserve". If you click that button, you don't know what cabin you will have until assigned.

Booking a GTY means you are gauranteed a cabin in the category that you book and will be assigned anytime up to a few days before sailing.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The odds are always against a better upgrade into a higher class of cabin (obstructed to unobstructed; unobstructed to balcony); I would never count on an upgrade to secure me a good view. I say take E622, mark it "do not upgrade" and congratulate yourself on securing a view at a bargain cost.

We don't count on getting upgraded, we book Obstructed Ocean View because we are happy with some daylight, the price usually isn't much more than an Inside and when we have had a balcony we always comment that we really didn't make much use of it.

We did 8 cruises in 2014, all on Princess. On two of the cruises (a B2B) we booked a balcony Guarantee BF and got a BE. Minor difference that In the past I wouldn't have realized that we were upgraded.

The other 6 cruises we booked Obstructed OV Guarantees.

On two of these cruises we got just what we paid for.

On one cruise we were upgraded to a full Ocean View.

On the other three cruises we were upgraded to Balconies. I didn't pay attention to the exact category of Balcony but all were fairly central on the ships.

We love Obstructed Ocean View!

Terry

The most crucial factor, one you have no way of knowing as a newbie cruiser, is how much time you'll actually be spending in the cabin. My husband and I usually book inside cabins, not just because we're thrifty but because we know we'll be involved in activities pretty non-stop throughout the day. Breakfast, Zumba, line dance, trivia, lunch, gym, trivia, tea, walking the promenade deck, maybe a lecture or film somewhere in there, hot tub before changing for dinner, and then the sun goes down. Honestly, just about the only time we spend in the cabin during daylight hours is to change clothes or use the bathroom. Last cruise we got upgraded to a very obstructed OV on the Coral. That merely meant that for the first few minutes after we were awake we didn't have a good view of, often as not, the ocean. Big deal. (And even when we've had a balcony, we generally didn't spend much time on it.) But I know lots of pax who wouldn't book anything less than a balcony. Different strokes.

If you expect to be exploring the ship and taking part in group activities, don't worry about too much about your view. If you need privacy and expect to spend lots of time alone in your cabin, then research the OVs available and book the most acceptable one. You will still be eligible for an upgrade to full OV and above (unless you say otherwise), but even with a guarantee, I sure wouldn't count on it.

Edited by shepp

• 1 year later...

I have searched everywhere, I cannot find a picture anywhere of an obstructed view cabin on coral princess! We are traveling Alaska in July, 9 of us, 3 cabins all OV in the coral, 512, 516, 520 I would love to see what one of those cabins looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Found exactly what I was looking for great site!!!

We are cruising in July as well! 9 of us, family trip all first timers, age 8-68! So excited!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 11 months later...
I am also booked on E318 on Emerald deck on Princess Coral this July. Could anyone post a picture of their obstructed view cabin please, it would be really helpful!

Welcome to Cruise Critic & if you click on this link you'll see the view of a lifeboat from E318.

https://sites.google.com/site/coralislandprincess/home/cabins-311--335