Planning NCL Alaska cruise May 2015

radnur918

We were there in '09 on the Pearl out of Seattle...

1. Get a balcony! The views are just amazing! If the budget will allow, a Haven suite is even better.

2. Whale watching in Juneau is highly recommended. I think there's a tour that takes you to the Mendenhall Glacier and then out to see the whales (with a no-whale, no fee guarantee!).

Skagway is the place for the train. There's a tour that takes you up to Carcross in the Yukon and you get the train back. Well worth considering.

3. Victoria is cool and there's a wonderful gelato store right by the bus stop.

4. Did I say get a balcony? ;)

There's really nice alcoholic hot chocolate in a souvenir travel mug that's well worth the money, usually offered during the Glacier Bay trip.

Don't short-change yourself and do what you want. At least for us, it was a trip of a lifetime and we just felt we wanted to do and see everything and we did and saw most of it. We did not do a cruise-tour, but given the opportunity, we would if we went again.

Edited by Guindalf

I'm on the Sun for a Northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward. We will visit both Hubbard AND Glacier Bay.

I am one that doesn't think you have to have a balcony. We'd rather put that money towards excursions and our following land trip. The excursions in AK are costly - especially compared to ones in the Caribbean, but worth the money to experience the real Alaska. Don't just hang around the port itself.

Formal clothing isn't necessary on Norwegian. Some feel eating is specialty (upcharge) restaurants is, but we do not. We usually will only eat in one the entire cruise.

The most important advice I can give you for the cruise itself is to join your roll call! They should have a meet & greet on the first sea day. If someone on the roll call coordinates with Norwegian, officers will attend & give a talk and refreshments are provided.

Edited by GORDONCHICK

The Pearl is a great choice. And as someone said, do get a balcony room. We've gone last week of May twice. We like that. Daylight hours much longer. Alaska cruise weather cannot be predicted. First time was warm and sunny the entire cruise. The next time was cool and drizzly, as Alaska should be. We love the Pearl. If you can think of specific questions, ask away.

I am doing The Jewel in early May for a 9 day cruise. I can not wait.

Me too! Very excited.

I found the Alaska board extremely helpful. Also, I went to old Alaska roll calls and read them. Make sure you find your roll call and follow the thread.

Ideas, tips, etc?

Go to the Alaska Board... read the posts for a pages or so.

Watch these boards and read posts back a few pages.

Read reviews of those that have taken an Alaska cruise.

You will find way more information than you can think of.

I loved the Pearl in Alaska and we also did the Glacier Bay experience. We had an outside view the first time in Glacier Bay and it was just fine. Bring layers (not a big parka), gloves/mittens, a scarf and a hat. Smart wool socks are a great investment. You can see a lot of what you want at the Marjorie Glacier by walking around the promenade deck. Remember that the ship turns around at that point so both sides of the ship can get a good view of the calving.

The last time we went to Alaska/Glacier Bay was on another cruise line and we had a balcony. Here was our strategy: we walked around to get a good view of the Marjorie Glacier when our side was turned away and then we ran upstairs to get something from the buffet to "carry out" to our balcony while the ship turned. We sat on our balcony enjoying the calving. The ranger programs are great but I would only go to the afternoon one if the weather was inclement. My husband stayed in the room/balcony and got some tremendous photos/views while I was in the theatre. Be sure to buy a good book- I forgot the name of the best one but it was sold in the ships' bookstores and it has a great map of the inside passage.

Be sure to go on whale watch in Juneau. We did Harv and Marv and they were great although there are some other private tours with equally good ratings.

Skagway is fabulous. I would recommend the train/van route to the Yukon for an amazing day. We rented a car on our second trip to Skagway because the highways are easy and in good shape.

To us, Ketchikan is for a trip to the temperate rain forest and to go buy some canned salmon- we had it shipped back home and it is our treasure.

Victoria is nice but most people do not recommend going to Butchart Gardens if you are just there for the evening as you don't see much and the entrance fee is high for your short time there. Enjoy the lovely city.

I thought our cruise on the Pearl was the best of our three Alaskan cruises. Don't listen to people who say that certain cruise lines do Alaska better because they have more experience there. That logic didn't translate into reality except for a slightly better dock/berth area in one port. Enjoy!

I will be on the Pearl's Glacier Bay cruise on May 24, 2015. Should you choose this sailing or any other, be sure to check out the roll call boards where you can talk to others who will be on the same sailing about what excursions to do and other tips, hints, and possibly a Meet & Greet (a chance to meet fellow CruiseCritic members and passengers on board)

I highly recommend a Port (left) side balcony room as that is where most of the action is in Glacier Bay - going in. My second choice would be an aft balcony (or suite) on deck 10 or an aft port side corner mini suite on deck 11.

Read up on the ports here: www.cruiseportinsider.com

Figure out what interests you the most and gear your excursions around them. Each town on your trip has some sort of special item(s) they are known for. Ketchikan - Misty Fjords, Creek Street, Fishing, Native Culture.

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier, Gold Mines, Whale Watching , Skagway - Gold Rush History, White Pass & Yukon RR

Don't be afraid to book outside of the cruise line - tour operators in AK provide better tours at similar prices (sometimes cheaper). They will get you back to your ship on time.

I am doing The Jewel in early May for a 9 day cruise. I can not wait.

We are also doing the 9 day on the Jewel. You may want to consider this cruise. It is very unusual for the first cruise of the year to be a Seattle round trip and it is a 9 day to boot! The port times are wonderful and we also go to Glacier Bay (the Jewel usually does Tracy Arm outside of Juneau). We will be sharing the ports with a single ship or no other ships so we don't have to fight the crowds. :D

Just thought I would throw out this as an option. This is our 6th Alaska cruise with NCL and we have been on both the Pearl and the Jewel. They are the same class ship and are very similar.

We are getting so excited for this cruise :D

Hey there neighbor on our upcoming cruise! (sc2011) There were several posts added while I was typing this. I had to fix a typo so I thought I would add a quick hello as I see you posted. :)

Edited by kdzkatz

I agree with previous posts-don't scrimp on your excursions. We did the first time, and regretted it when we got home. Although we did do the "Deadliest Catch" excursion and it was fun, esp. since we are fans of the show. The second time, on the Pearl, we did whale watching in Juneau, and our young adult children did ice climbing on a glacier. They will never forget that excursion! My son and I did a helicopter ride up to glacier and got to walk around and see some cool stuff. The views when you are in the helicopter are amazing. If you are adventurous, the rock climbing/repelling is good. As well as the zip line and ropes course. This was in Skagway. My daughter and I enjoyed Butchart Gardens. We went second week of June. Not everything was in bloom yet, but it was still enjoyable. Have a blast! We love the Pearl,have sailed her twice!