Ports of call

sunshinegirl29

We were just in Belize and did cave tubing. We went to Trujillo instead of Roatan. Originally we were supposed to do Roatan. Our plan was the spend the day at Maya Key. You may want to read some of the reviews on the port of calls page to get some ideas on what you can do there.

Belize and Roatan are both very nice.

At Belize we've done cave tubing, as well as riding quads through the rainforest... Quite fun!

On Roatan, we took the catamaran sail with Jolly Roger company... it was an excellent trip.

Belize and Roatan offer some of the best snorkeling in this hemisphere. Go on a catamaran, get to a beach, and you will have a great time. The weak reviews you read about are from people who don't venture out away from the port area. Belize City is no great shakes, but a tour can take you past that to caves, zip lining and some fantastic ruins like Xanantunich. Roatan port area is also sketchy, but a short ride takes you to West Bay Beach, which is an authentic Caribbean Beach lined with small resorts. I liked it so much there that I went back for a week last Feb and am returning for another week this May.

I agree with those who are of the "get out and do something" crowd. In both places (and we have been to them 3 times) we take ship excursions. They offer great options. The port areas leave something to be desired, but that sure is going to change in Belize. In Roatan, not too far from port, there is a neat ivory museum, and right outside the port is a neat place that sells locally made wooden bowls.

We were just in both ports last week. I was tentative about each one, but because we stuck with cruise line sponsored excursions, I never felt unsafe.

In Roatan it is very run down just outside the port gates. Or maybe a better way to describe it would be to say that it is just an extremely poor area with a lot of signs about no drugs and no weapons on quite a few buildings. We took a van to the West End and did a Dolphin Encounter at a resort and it was safe and beautiful. I would not recommend walking around on your own outside of the port but going on an excursion you should be fine.

We never tendered to the mainland of Belize but rather tendered directly to Starfish Island, a private island for excursions. We never felt unsafe there at all as it was strictly cruise passengers and a handful of employees. I heard that the mainland wasn't much unless you took an excursion further inland.

That being said, I really have no need to go back to either port. We did the one excursion that appealed to us at each location. There is definitely no need for a revisit, but I don't regret going once.

We have also done both ports three times and loved them also! We have always taken encursions at both places, Roatan - beach breaks, little island/jungle break and did a private one to Little French Key (amazing) and in Belize, same thing....did cave tubing and did shark ray alley twice, lots of fun!!!! Even though this will be my 4th come going, we will still find fun excursions to do!!!

Leah

We did a ship excursion to Tabayana Beach in Roatan and it was a beautiful place to spend a day. DD snorkeled and loved it. I just enjoyed the beach and music. A good lunch was served and there was plenty of iced tea or lemonade free and a bar to purchase alcoholic drinks. I'd love to go back there again.

In Belize we did a ship excursion that was an airboat ride that was also fun.

We felt totally safe on both of the excursions.