After Final Payment Bookings

mcrcruiser

It really depends on when you're cruising. On high demand cruises, such as the Caribbean during spring break, the chances of getting a lower price are very low and the chances of prices going up even more are high. That is because these cruises typically sell out so the cruise lines don't have much inventory to sell.

If you are cruising during a time period when demand for your itinerary is low then the chances are better that the cruise will not sell out. If this happens the cruise line will probably discount their inventory of cabins to sell them before the sail date.

This is a simple supply and demand situation and is no different than what the seller of any goods would do - particularly if those goods become no good after a certain date.

I keep telling myself that one of these days, I'm just going to book airfare. I'll book a departing flight on a saturday and a return flight on a sunday. And then wait and wait and wait.

And then I will call a TA a few weeks before the departing flight and ask what the best deal is they can get us on for a cruise departing on that Saturday or Sunday.

And if we can't get a deal, then worst case, is we have a hotel stay in Fort Lauderdale.

Sounds like a plan, right?

Unfortunately, I'm too much of a planner to leave a holiday to chance like this.

Maybe if you can drive to the port. We are going on the Constellation at the beginning of Feb. Airfare is now $1400 per person to Fort Lauderdale, but when we booked it was $300 per person.

I find that mostly everything goes up, even cruise fares.

Maybe if you can drive to the port. We are going on the Constellation at the beginning of Feb. Airfare is now $1400 per person to Fort Lauderdale, but when we booked it was $300 per person.

Just curious.....Couldn't believe those prices so I checked PHL to FLL in early Feb and found fares under $300 on several airlines. Did by any chance you hit the first class fare button?

I have great luck, especially with suites. I also had great luck on an inside ands Qua this summer on Summit. I booked friday for a sunday departure and got an Aqua for $1200 as a solo.

I booked an inside end of summer on Summit, for $449 pp 3 weeks out.

I did read an article in the last 6 months from the RCL brass associated with a quarterly earnings release that they were working on a plan this year to stop people from this habit, however. I'm crurious to watch this fall's caribbean sailings especially.

I sailed Sille Nov 30, and at final payment in September, there were still 56% available cabins, we sailed with about 15% left, so they sold 40% of the total cabins after final payments, at steep discounts near the end too., though last minutes bookings don't get the 123 perks either....so factor that into pricing models.

I booked CLE-SJU for my San Juan Jan 24 cruise just a couple weeks ago, I think Dec 29 I booked. $310 per person. Direct flights both ways on United.

Other than Trans Atlantic cruises ,do you feel that you get a better price deal with Celebrity ,when booking the cruise after final payment ?
It can also depend on the competition. Where there are many ships offering similar cruises, it is much easier to pick up those great last minute closeout price drops than for a unique itinerary.

But even then, it sometimes happens, especially if you qualify for one or more of the special categories that will often be discounted even though the regular price remains high.

Last cruise was an off season 10 nighter and the price never got lower than we originally booked. Take that back it got to $50 less but without the beverage package. And this was between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Now when we want to take a last minute we have to look elsewhere because it is usually the May timeframe and Celebrity doesn't do the Caribbean in May. But there are great deals to be had last minute. I usually tell work I am going one of two weeks then wait until 2 weeks before and book.

Speaking of after final payment prices, for anyone who does not mind an inside cabin it looks like Celebrity is offering some really nice prices right now on their Cybersale.

For example

5 night Caribbean cruises on Constellation for $289 or $299 per person

or 7 night cruise on Reflection for $499.

The flight that I am taking on US Air at the beginning of Feb. 1 is $750 to Fort Lauderdale and coming back it is also $750 for coach. They are both on Sundays,

Just curious.....Couldn't believe those prices so I checked PHL to FLL in early Feb and found fares under $300 on several airlines. Did by any chance you hit the first class fare button?

We just booked an early March round trip FLL for a little over $200 on United from Chicago. We were waiting to see how prices on Connie were trending and decided if all else failed we would just do a land trip. First time we ever tried this, although we had talked about doing so for years. As always, we plan to fly in at least a day before if not more. Because of cruise crowds Sat and Sun in and out of FLL or MIA are always more expensive. We were frustrated in booking the cruise as at the time the 123 go all-inclusive started in April. Then X changed the dates to include March and we went ahead and booked our cruise.

Your best bet at determining how prices will go after final payment is to see how the inventory is trending. If there are a lot of cabins open, then prices will likely fall. For popular cruises, there is almost no chance of that, except perhaps literally the last few days.

It is interesting to hear that RCI wants to change the practice of discounting cruises after final payment. I guess I just don't understand how they could get away with this without adversely impacting their bottom line. I guess there has to be a break-even point where they are better off sailing with an empty cabin, but I am guessing that is only for very low end cabins. I am sure there are some people (especially drive to port residents) who wait for last minute deals, but in my naivete I would guess that these same people would just not cruise if they couldn't get the deals. cle-guy you always have good business perspective - what are your thoughts on this?

Edited by phoenix_dream

In follow-up to what Cle-Guy mentioned, I just wanted to verify something I've been wondering about. For discounted fares after final payment, you CAN'T take advantage of 123 or similar promos, correct?

GENERALLY this is the case. It depends on the 123 dates and timing, one may get lucky and find a cruise that gets just under the existing deadline. 123 promos tend to have start dates that are 2-3 months from the date they come on offer, thus ruling out immediate bookings.

Also sometimes the fares are of a discounted code that itself excludes the addition of perks. Sometimes fares will decrease but NOT be of a discount nature that excludes 123, if you can find one of those early on in the 123 Promo period, you MAY get the 123, but if you wait, you will likely find a further discounted cabin fare, sans 123.

I'd say in 95% of close-in cruises, 123 won't apply due to the timing of the offer.

Current 123 in USA says cruises must be booked Jan 14-Feb 28 for cruises departing March 2015-April 2017. So it's possible you could have booked Jan 14 a cruise end of march and got it, but if you book next month for one that leaves in early march, it is too late to apply.

Edited by cle-guy

We just booked an early March round trip FLL for a little over $200 on United from Chicago. We were waiting to see how prices on Connie were trending and decided if all else failed we would just do a land trip. First time we ever tried this, although we had talked about doing so for years. As always, we plan to fly in at least a day before if not more. Because of cruise crowds Sat and Sun in and out of FLL or MIA are always more expensive. We were frustrated in booking the cruise as at the time the 123 go all-inclusive started in April. Then X changed the dates to include March and we went ahead and booked our cruise.

Your best bet at determining how prices will go after final payment is to see how the inventory is trending. If there are a lot of cabins open, then prices will likely fall. For popular cruises, there is almost no chance of that, except perhaps literally the last few days.

It is interesting to hear that RCI wants to change the practice of discounting cruises after final payment. I guess I just don't understand how they could get away with this without adversely impacting their bottom line. I guess there has to be a break-even point where they are better off sailing with an empty cabin, but I am guessing that is only for very low end cabins. I am sure there are some people (especially drive to port residents) who wait for last minute deals, but in my naivete I would guess that these same people would just not cruise if they couldn't get the deals. cle-guy you always have good business perspective - what are your thoughts on this?

I'm seeing the new All-in 123 as their way of lessening post final payment discounts and filling ships sooner.

I think what they are doing is getting people to fill higher cabin categories sooner (several cruises I am watching already have all Concierge Aqua and suites sold, even out in 2017) for premium pricing, thus leaving nothing but relative bargain priced lesser cabins people will flock to, thus ships will fill sooner.

This ALSO allows them to raise the fares on remaining lesser cabin inventory to some extent, and perhaps this rise on lesser cabin fares will make up for discounting others, and although they may sail with some empty cabins, they will have same revenue, but save the expenses associated with the cabin food, cleaning etc...) thus be ahead bottom-line.

I also think the cruise lines have figured people are going to cruise, no matter, and some are just waiting toll the end to book, so perhaps they figure keeping fares steady post final pay,went, people are still gonna book them, sure some wont' but many plan a vacation and are taking it none-the-less, albeit unhappy they didn't get the bargain they are used to getting. And certainly I think week out, they will sell anything to anyone for any price, look for lots of local discounting then....

Will be interesting to see how it works. I think it will be successful in the Caribbean, where people can get easy flight to, less so though in Europe and other destinations.

GENERALLY this is the case. It depends on the 123 dates and timing, one may get lucky and find a cruise that gets just under the existing deadline. 123 promos tend to have start dates that are 2-3 months from the date they come on offer, thus ruling out immediate bookings.

Also sometimes the fares are of a discounted code that itself excludes the addition of perks. Sometimes fares will decrease but NOT be of a discount nature that excludes 123, if you can find one of those early on in the 123 Promo period, you MAY get the 123, but if you wait, you will likely find a further discounted cabin fare, sans 123.

I'd say in 95% of close-in cruises, 123 won't apply due to the timing of the offer.

Current 123 in USA says cruises must be booked Jan 14-Feb 28 for cruises departing March 2015-April 2017. So it's possible you could have booked Jan 14 a cruise end of march and got it, but if you book next month for one that leaves in early march, it is too late to apply.

Makes total sense, thanks. Honestly I find that by booking early & taking a promo I do about as well (and sometimes better) than booking last minute without a promo. I guess it really just depends on the sailing though.

The flight that I am taking on US Air at the beginning of Feb. 1 is $750 to Fort Lauderdale and coming back it is also $750 for coach. They are both on Sundays,

PSA - If you have a few extra days, not on a tight schedule, you could have booked Amtrak out of Philadelphia for $226 round trip each person.

We did this a few years ago out on N. Carolina for about $190 round trip- Was about 17 hours each way I believe but $750.00 under the airfare at the time. Charlie :)

PSA - If you have a few extra days, not on a tight schedule, you could have booked Amtrak out of Philadelphia for $226 round trip each person.

We did this a few years ago out on N. Carolina for about $190 round trip- Was about 17 hours each way I believe but $750.00 under the airfare at the time. Charlie :)

And I don't think the train has any luggage restrictions, do they? I've always wondered.... but the train from Cleveland is just not convenient for anything. Stops once a day at like 3:25 am or something.

Other than Trans Atlantic cruises ,do you feel that you get a better price deal with Celebrity ,when booking the cruise after final payment ?
Yes, I would guess that for 90% of sailings, you will get your best stateroom at the best price by booking 14 to 60 days prior to sailing.
It really depends on when you're cruising. On high demand cruises, such as the Caribbean during spring break, the chances of getting a lower price are very low and the chances of prices going up even more are high. That is because these cruises typically sell out so the cruise lines don't have much inventory to sell.

If you are cruising during a time period when demand for your itinerary is low then the chances are better that the cruise will not sell out. If this happens the cruise line will probably discount their inventory of cabins to sell them before the sail date.

This is a simple supply and demand situation and is no different than what the seller of any goods would do - particularly if those goods become no good after a certain date.

The supply and demand situation is highly favorable for the buyer for the overwhelming majority of cruise sailings. Very few cruises, even peak season cruises over spring break or Alaska or Europe in the summer, sell out and most of them will have a fire sale after final payment. From my experience, I would only book early for Christmas/New Year holiday and exotic locale sailings, but almost NEVER for Caribbean, Alaska or Europe.

X's current 123Go promo applies to March 2015 sailings so it's perfect for those of us waiting for spring break deals AND wanting the promo! :)

I'm seeing the new All-in 123 as their way of lessening post final payment discounts and filling ships sooner.

I think what they are doing is getting people to fill higher cabin categories sooner (several cruises I am watching already have all Concierge Aqua and suites sold, even out in 2017) for premium pricing, thus leaving nothing but relative bargain priced lesser cabins people will flock to, thus ships will fill sooner.

This ALSO allows them to raise the fares on remaining lesser cabin inventory to some extent, and perhaps this rise on lesser cabin fares will make up for discounting others, and although they may sail with some empty cabins, they will have same revenue, but save the expenses associated with the cabin food, cleaning etc...) thus be ahead bottom-line.

I also think the cruise lines have figured people are going to cruise, no matter, and some are just waiting toll the end to book, so perhaps they figure keeping fares steady post final pay,went, people are still gonna book them, sure some wont' but many plan a vacation and are taking it none-the-less, albeit unhappy they didn't get the bargain they are used to getting. And certainly I think week out, they will sell anything to anyone for any price, look for lots of local discounting then....

Will be interesting to see how it works. I think it will be successful in the Caribbean, where people can get easy flight to, less so though in Europe and other destinations.

You're absolutely right that 123Go is being used as a prop to keep fares high, to try to move more inventory and to do it all sooner. Unfortunately what I think is happening is that the early bookers are paying more while the cruise lines don't really sell that many more staterooms. And the post-final-payment discounting is just as heavy as it has been for the past several years. And they NEVER sail with empty staterooms because they just put them on fire sale a week or two prior to sailing at the lowest possible prices!

As I wait to book our spring break cruise, I can see that various ship inventory is no better, and perhaps even worse, than in any past spring break period despite 123Go having been available for most of the previous several months. I just think there is way too much supply and way too little demand for cruises at the early booking price points--even with perks. I used to value a cruise at $180-$200 per person per day for a peak season cruise (i.e. spring break, summer, etc.). Now, my expectations are to never pay more than $100-$120 per person per day for a peak season cruise for a good verandah stateroom! In 2013, we paid just $110 per person per day for a nice C3 in Europe for a July sailing. The game has changed for the savvy.

Edited by Terpnut

You're absolutely right that 123Go is being used as a prop to keep fares high, to try to move more inventory and to do it all sooner. Unfortunately what I think is happening is that the early bookers are paying more while the cruise lines don't really sell that many more staterooms. And the post-final-payment discounting is just as heavy as in the last several years.

But what they are doing, is selling the premium cabins up front first, leaving cheaper cabins to the end, so people will perceive value as time goes on, having ability to book cheaper OV and Veranda cabins near the end, versus finding a lot of premium Concierge AQ and suite cabins left on offer.

In essence they have pushed the guaranteed number of cabins they would sell into all premium cabins, leaving space in the cheaper cabins, automatically generating higher fares, and having better ability to sell left cabins to bargain hunters. The have pushed their ADR (Average Daily Rate) up even if they don't sell any more cabins than last year.

But what they are doing, is selling the premium cabins up front first, leaving cheaper cabins to the end, so people will perceive value as time goes on, having ability to book cheaper OV and Veranda cabins near the end, versus finding a lot of premium Concierge AQ and suite cabins left on offer.

In essence they have pushed the guaranteed number of cabins they would sell into all premium cabins, leaving space in the cheaper cabins, automatically generating higher fares, and having better ability to sell left cabins to bargain hunters. The have pushed their ADR (Average Daily Rate) up even if they don't sell any more cabins than last year.

I'm not sure what you mean by "premium cabins up front first", but early bookers don't fill all the suites, aqua-class and concierge-class, so late bookers have plenty of premium choices in suites, aqua-class, concierge-class and sunset verandahs at fire sale prices, while the early bookers pay a premium for that Cat 1A hump cabin. The only saving grace for early bookers is that they can often upgrade but oftentimes they paid so much that they can't upgrade because you can only do it if there is a higher category stateroom for $1 more! So in the end, who gets both the best stateroom and paid the least? Edited by Terpnut

I'm not sure what you mean by "premium cabins up front first", but early bookers don't fill all the suites, aqua-class and concierge-class, so late bookers have plenty of premium choices in suites, aqua-class, concierge-class and sunset verandahs at fire sale prices, while the early bookers pay a premium for that Cat 1A hump cabin. The only saving grace for early bookers is that they can often upgrade but oftentimes they paid so much that they can't upgrade because you can only do it if there is a higher category stateroom for $1 more! So in the end, who gets both the best stateroom and paid the least?

But now the current all-inclusive 123, this is exactly what's happening, I'm following a few cruises between now and 2017, and a couple have already sold all concierge and above, likely due to the all-in plan.

People who in the past would book a veranda because they found no real benefit to concierge cabins for the increased fares are saying, "well for $50 more I'll go concierge now that I can get all 3 perks".

The all inclusive 123 perks (you get all 3: beverage package, OBC and gratuities) require concierge and better cabins to book, otherwise you pick only 1.

But now the current all-inclusive 123, this is exactly what's happening, I'm following a few cruises between now and 2017, and a couple have already sold all concierge and above, likely due to the all-in plan.

People who in the past would book a veranda because they found no real benefit to concierge cabins for the increased fares are saying, "well for $50 more I'll go concierge now that I can get all 3 perks".

The all inclusive 123 perks (you get all 3: beverage package, OBC and gratuities) require concierge and better cabins to book, otherwise you pick only 1.

I'm not sure which specific sailings you are following but I haven't seen that happen with any Caribbean or Europe sailing I am following. For example, take a look at any number of February or March 2015 Caribbean sailings (all well past final payment) and you will see plenty of availability for ALL categories--including aqua and concierge-class. So 123Go AI did little to help move all this inventory because IMHO the early booking fares were simply too high.

As to your point about concierge class previously not offering much for $50pp more, this was perhaps valid a long time ago, but current pricing with 123GO AI already factors the promo in so there really isn't any true incentive to book concierge or aqua-class from a purely financial perspective. IOW, it is not true that a C3 is only $50 pp more than a 1A--the actual fares are much further apart! Case in point for 3/28 Reflection sailing:

A2 for $1349 including 123Go AI 3 perks

C2 for $1299 including 123Go AI 3 perks

C2 for $1099 with no promo

2C for $949 including 123Go w/only 1 perk

2C for $799

As you can see from the above, the concierge class is not a slam-dunk. Many people might prefer the regular verandah with no promo and pocket the $500 pp. Perhaps they don't drink. And if you do drink alot, the 2C for $949 with a drink package seems to be the best value amongst them! Alot depends on how you value a specific perk or set of perks, but everything is priced and bundled with a promo, and tiered incrementally to move every category evenly. So I don't think 123Go favors moving premium staterooms!

Edited by Terpnut

Thanks every one for your posts :). This is a very good discussion point about cruise & air prices ;).

Us retired folks need good deals & personally living here near the San Diego & or Los Angeles ports ,we prefer not to fly ;which would boost our cost;) . We have been on 63 cruises ,so we have done most sailings we wanted to do :D