Texting from IPhone 6 on ship

Trobrah

I just want to ensure that I have this right. I don't plan to make any phone calls. In order to be able to text and not incur any data charges go to Settings >Cellular>Turn off Cellular Data>Leave Voice Roaming on. Turning off Cellular Data turns off voice roaming. Correct

Thanks,

Jay

I just want to ensure that I have this right. I don't plan to make any phone calls. In order to be able to text and not incur any data charges go to Settings >Cellular>Turn off Cellular Data>Leave Voice Roaming on. Turning off Cellular Data turns off voice roaming. Correct

Incorrect. Disabling data and/or data roaming does nothing to voice/texts. (iMessages are different matter as those are not texts but instant messages sent using data connection on the phone and use Apple's server infrastructure unlike regular texts that use phone operators' infrastructure and SMS servers.)

In order to be able to use texts, you need to have regular roaming on (which it is unless you put the phone in airplane mode).

I'd like to jump in here with a question, if I may. With the new internet packages that charge by the MB, instead of by the minute, I'm wondering about leaving my phone connected to the ship's WiFi (making sure that automatic updates and alerts are turned off) and then using iMessage to text. I'm thinking that this would be cheaper than paying texting rates. I have no idea how much data iMessages use, but it can't be much, can it?

Is this feasible?

I'd like to jump in here with a question, if I may. With the new internet packages that charge by the MB, instead of by the minute, I'm wondering about leaving my phone connected to the ship's WiFi (making sure that automatic updates and alerts are turned off) and then using iMessage to text. I'm thinking that this would be cheaper than paying texting rates. I have no idea how much data iMessages use, but it can't be much, can it?

Is this feasible?

No. You will be charged for the time you are connected at 75 cents a minute (less if you have a package plan). The ship charges by the connected minute, not by the amount of data you use.

If you want to use wi-fi to text, the only way to do it is to connect, send the text and then disconnect again, costing you about one minute (assuming the text goes through quickly).

If you use Airplane mode and then turn wi-fi on, you eliminate the worry of connecting to a data link on hte ship and incurring huge bills.

Why not do what most people do? You're on vacation. Turn the darned phone OFF and enjoy yourself. Facebook will wait a week! You can always connect if you are in a US port for much less than the ship will charge.

Is this feasible?

It's feasible and doesn't use much data. As long as you are only texting people that have iMessage (iOS users), you'll be ok. Android phones would not get your texts unless they have a sketchy app installed that I would never use or recommend anyone use.

No. You will be charged for the time you are connected [...] not by the amount of data you use.

You are mistaken, on Breakaway they are testing megabyte-based billing instead of the traditional minute-based one. That hasn't been seen on any other ship though.

EDIT: But if albertamom is referring to their next cruise (based on their signature) on Jewel, then they are billed by the minute as before.

Edited by Demonyte

You are mistaken, on Breakaway they are testing megabyte-based billing instead of the traditional minute-based one. That hasn't been seen on any other ship though.

EDIT: But if albertamom is referring to their next cruise (based on their signature) on Jewel, then they are billed by the minute as before.

...and that is what I'm answering! There's no point in telling someone what they may be able to do on a different ship to the one they're sailing on, so not mistaken at all!

...and that is what I'm answering! There's no point in telling someone what they may be able to do on a different ship to the one they're sailing on, so not mistaken at all!

If the ship isn't mentioned in the post itself, it is not said that they refer to that ship - or if you have a working crystal ball, I'd like to get one too.

Many users here don't even see signatures as the forum usage on phone and tablet apps grow all the time.

Thank you! Here's another example of me making an assumption, when I should have checked my facts more. I assumed that because the Jewel has gone through the Norwegian Next enhancements, and is using the iConcierge app, that it was using the new internet package system, as well. :o

No. You will be charged for the time you are connected at 75 cents a minute (less if you have a package plan). The ship charges by the connected minute, not by the amount of data you use.

If you want to use wi-fi to text, the only way to do it is to connect, send the text and then disconnect again, costing you about one minute (assuming the text goes through quickly).

If you use Airplane mode and then turn wi-fi on, you eliminate the worry of connecting to a data link on hte ship and incurring huge bills.

Why not do what most people do? You're on vacation. Turn the darned phone OFF and enjoy yourself. Facebook will wait a week! You can always connect if you are in a US port for much less than the ship will charge.

Thank you! I will definitely NOT use it in this case. I'm quite comfortable unplugging, especially because my family will all be with me on this cruise, and I don't even use facebook. However, I do have teenagers, and staying in touch with friends is very important to them. We made out fine buying an internet package on the Dawn, and they would check into facebook once a day. We'll do that again. :)

If the ship isn't mentioned in the post itself, it is not said that they refer to that ship - or if you have a working crystal ball, I'd like to get one too.

Many users here don't even see signatures as the forum usage on phone and tablet apps grow all the time.

So by your logic, if YOU can't see a signature, then the response is wrong?

Don't need a crystal ball to view the entire post, sig included!

I tend to try and answer a question based on ALL the information available, so please don't shoot someone for giving information based on the facts, not what you personally perceive it as being, and keep your snarky criticism to yourself.

Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Is this feasible?

Just off the BA this morning and when I signed up for the 300mg plan for $39 the Internet officer was very happy I was just using my wifi only iPad on the ship and not my iPhone

Just too much stress worrying about the data usage but even with the iPad she went over my iPad to make sure things like FB etc were not constantly updating like they normally do. Trust me it WILL eat up the mg and there is no need to waste it like that. Texting ...facetime audio ....and checking emails should be sufficient for the majority of pax to keep it touch and I left a kid and husband at home and we did fine.

My iPad stayed in airplane mode and when I wanted to text or read email or do an audio FaceTime ( video will eat up the mg btw) I simply switched out of airplane mode and into wifi. Then back to airplane mode when done

glad I had the iPad and didn't need the phone until debark

Btw latitudes members get some free mg just ask her to add them on for you its not a problem at all

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off the BA this morning and when I signed up for the 300mg plan for $39 the Internet officer was very happy I was just using my wifi only iPad on the ship and not my iPhone

Just too much stress worrying about the data usage but even with the iPad she went over my iPad to make sure things like FB etc were not constantly updating like they normally do. Trust me it WILL eat up the mg and there is no need to waste it like that. Texting ...facetime audio ....and checking emails should be sufficient for the majority of pax to keep it touch and I left a kid and husband at home and we did fine.

My iPad stayed in airplane mode and when I wanted to text or read email or do an audio FaceTime ( video will eat up the mg btw) I simply switched out of airplane mode and into wifi. Then back to airplane mode when done

glad I had the iPad and didn't need the phone until debark

Btw latitudes members get some free mg just ask her to add them on for you its not a problem at all

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for such an informative update. That sounds perfect. Great idea to use the iPad instead of your phone. It's too bad that it won't be available on the Jewel. :(