Uniworld Egypt 2015

Wendy The Wanderer

In your above post you said that CSA is not covering Canadians anymore. Were you talking about coverage for the river cruises only or about all cruises. I wasn't sure and we have CSA coverage for our next ocean cruise. I checked with my TA and CSA and they cover Canadians. So was it just river cruises?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
In your above post you said that CSA is not covering Canadians anymore. Were you talking about coverage for the river cruises only or about all cruises. I wasn't sure and we have CSA coverage for our next ocean cruise. I checked with my TA and CSA and they cover Canadians. So was it just river cruises?

Thanks

Hi, sorry, your question got lost and the thread got bumped down to page two.

I was told by my TA that CSA does not cover Canadians for cruises, period. Or at least I assume so.

This happened when I booked my Tauck trip for 2016 and the subject came up. I went with Tauck insurance because my TA had just been informed about this. I'd be interested in hearing when you bought your CSA policy. I suspect this change is quite recent (perhaps January 1st?)

Meanwhile, I'd be interested in hearing any more tips from folks who have been to Egypt about apparel and anything else useful. My TA says she wears "safari clothes", i.e., a good hat, loose, light clothing, long pants.

Anyone have a sense of how formal/informal Uniworld is in the evening?

Here's what they have in the 2015 Egypt Cruise Companion about what to wear (sounds more casual than the European Uniworld trips):

For daytime attire, we recommend layers of casual, loose-fitting, lightweight clothing, which allow for easy adjustment to temperature changes. As a show of respect, we ask that guests be mindful of the local culture and dress modestly whenever going ashore. Short-sleeved shirts, Bermuda-style shorts, and dresses (knee-length or longer, with sleeves or worn under a shirt) are all perfectly acceptable; tank tops, sleeveless shirts or dresses, and short shorts or skirts are not. Whenever visiting mosques, ladies should have their shoulders and knees covered. Hats, sun block, and sunglasses are essential in Egypt, as are comfortable walking shoes with good ankle support or sturdy sandals. For evenings, any resort-type wear is appropriate (no shorts at dinner, please). You may wish to pack a lightweight jacket for chilly evenings, and at least one “smart casual” outfit for dining out in Cairo and for the onboard Gala Dinner.

Thanks "Wiz", for the link, I had not seen this. Great information.

I'm wondering if they will send us one in the mail, since we're booked. Of course I can print it, or just read it online, but wondering why we don't have one (maybe it's in the mail--our mail gets forwarded from Canada down here to Florida and can take six weeks to do so, yes you read that right!)

Wendy

Uniworld doesn't send a hard copy of the guide until final payment and when you receive your documents. At least that was my experience. So I used the online while planning but took the hard copy with me on the trip. Nice size for traveling.

Wendy

Uniworld doesn't send a hard copy of the guide until final payment and when you receive your documents. At least that was my experience. So I used the online while planning but took the hard copy with me on the trip. Nice size for traveling.

Thanks, I finally figured that out, reading the guide. It's fine online, but will be good to have for the trip, for sure. I was able to ascertain that onboard gratuities are not included on this trip, which surprised me somewhat, but I understand that Egypt is different. I was also able to ascertain that we don't buy the optional excursion to Abu Simbel until we are in Cairo.

They mention gratuities in dollars--does anyone know if we can use the local currency instead? Or euros perhaps?

It mentions $2/day for the airport rep.--does that mean we tip them $4 when the meet us coming or going? That's a bit confusing.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I've fairly experienced at ocean cruising, but so far have never been on a river cruise. So perhaps my inexperience has led me to some wrong ideas.

For ocean cruises one of the big divides between different lines involves what is included in the fare. "All included" basically means that alcohol, gratuitities, etc. are all taken care of. The fares for such "luxury" cruises are higher. Some luxury lines even include all excursions.

The mass-market lines have lower fares, but charge for everything. Even water.

Sometimes by the time one is done with all the add-ons, a mass-market cruise is not appreciably cheaper than the luxury one. But the hassle of signing for drinks, dealing with staff who always have their hand out for tips, etc. is something I love to avoid when I can, and I am willing to pay for the convenience and improved ambiance.

I recall being on Radisson cruises, before they changed their name to Regent. Even then they considered themselves to be a luxury line. But, they used to charge for a beer with lunch. Although the amount of money was trivial, it felt chintzy.

I have been assuming that our booked (for now) Uniworld cruise in Egypt was a "luxury" one: certainly the price seems to indicate that. However, now I find that they are intending to charge for alcohol, and that gratuities are not included. Wendy is more forgiving than I, and is saying to me "Well, I guess Egypt is different." I'm feeling like I used to feel when Radisson charged me five bucks for a beer with lunch.

I've long wanted to see Egypt, and am not threatening of "take my ball and go home" if Uniworld doesn't change their policy. But I am re-considering, and my enthusiasm for the trip is somewhat diminished.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

I'm not 100% sure of the reasoning behind it, but Uniworld's all-inclusive trips outside of Europe are slightly less all-inclusive than the European itineraries. I said the Danube with them in September, and the only thing I signed for and received a bill for on-board was a massage in the spa. Everything else was included in the fare I paid. We did not choose to take any of the handful of optional excursions, which also come with a separate (affordable) charge ... there were plenty of options among the included excursions.

We're taking a Vietnam/Cambodia trip with them in December, and it's a bit different. Tips are not included, (looks like they'll run about $300 for 2 people for a 15-day trip). Beverages are included with meals, and non-alcoholic beverages and domestic spirits are complimentary throughout the day, but if you want a pre-dinner wine or cocktail, it looks like you'll pay. This seems to be how their fares are structured outside of Europe, and if you look closely at their "all-inclusive" advertising, it always includes "in Europe" as a post script.

I've been on mass-market ocean cruises where you sign for everything. Even outside of Europe, that does not appear to be the experience with Uniworld.

A few things about Egypt, water, our hotel, and Uniworld.

We chose to go to Cairo two days early, mostly to adjust to the different time zone, and just to "get a feel" for Egypt. Because the Uniworld Hotel was the Marriott, we chose to stay there for the extra days. Very beautiful hotel, great included breakfast, excellent security, and good location.

Once we joined the tour, our group of only 6! had an excellent guide, an Egyptian university prof whose name was Ramadan. He stayed with us for the entire 13 day experience, and was instrumental in letting us know the "lay of the land", thus keeping us out of harm's way. Uniworld always provided us with cold bottled water, both onboard the ship (River Tosca), and on the shore excursions.

Prior to our trip, we visited the local travel health clinic, which was funded by the Provincial government health ministry, and were prescribed Dukoral to prevent gesture-intestinal distress on the trip. I guess is worked, as I ate street food in Cairo, and did not become ill at all.

Our Uniworld trip did NOT include alcohol, so we, usually in concert with the other four members of our group, would buy wine at our meals on board the ship. The local wine, with brand names such as Pyramid, were fine, definitely not up to French standards, but just fine for enjoying with a meal. There was no tipping expected on board, and no charges other than the wine that I can recall. However, at the end of our trip, the six of us put our heads together, and decided to give our guide a handsome tip, as we felt that he had gone beyond the call of duty, and had really enhanced our experience.

Finally, we did eat in local Egyptian restaurants, enjoying Kebbe, Taboule, Lamb Mishwe (kabobs), Chickpea stews and so on. Very reasonable prices, local beer available, and lovely atmosphere, much more attractive to us than say "Roy's Steakhouse" at the Marriott.

And, I know I've already said finally, but the approach to Abu Simbel on Lake Nasser is a "bucket list" experience. I would never take the bus or the plane to Abu Simbel, as it just would not be the same. We did attend the sound and light show, it was spectacular.

A few things about Egypt, water, our hotel, and Uniworld.

We chose to go to Cairo two days early, mostly to adjust to the different time zone, and just to "get a feel" for Egypt. Because the Uniworld Hotel was the Marriott, we chose to stay there for the extra days. Very beautiful hotel, great included breakfast, excellent security, and good location.

Once we joined the tour, our group of only 6! had an excellent guide, an Egyptian university prof whose name was Ramadan. He stayed with us for the entire 13 day experience, and was instrumental in letting us know the "lay of the land", thus keeping us out of harm's way. Uniworld always provided us with cold bottled water, both onboard the ship (River Tosca), and on the shore excursions.

Prior to our trip, we visited the local travel health clinic, which was funded by the Provincial government health ministry, and were prescribed Dukoral to prevent gesture-intestinal distress on the trip. I guess is worked, as I ate street food in Cairo, and did not become ill at all.

Our Uniworld trip did NOT include alcohol, so we, usually in concert with the other four members of our group, would buy wine at our meals on board the ship. The local wine, with brand names such as Pyramid, were fine, definitely not up to French standards, but just fine for enjoying with a meal. There was no tipping expected on board, and no charges other than the wine that I can recall. However, at the end of our trip, the six of us put our heads together, and decided to give our guide a handsome tip, as we felt that he had gone beyond the call of duty, and had really enhanced our experience.

Finally, we did eat in local Egyptian restaurants, enjoying Kebbe, Taboule, Lamb Mishwe (kabobs), Chickpea stews and so on. Very reasonable prices, local beer available, and lovely atmosphere, much more attractive to us than say "Roy's Steakhouse" at the Marriott.

And, I know I've already said finally, but the approach to Abu Simbel on Lake Nasser is a "bucket list" experience. I would never take the bus or the plane to Abu Simbel, as it just would not be the same. We did attend the sound and light show, it was spectacular.

I second your experience, except we went with Vantage and our guide, also a university teaching Egyptologist, was Magid and he too was with us for the entire trip and was absolutely marvelous, although our group was 40 something. We went several years before you and obviously things are different now. We weren't given anything but warnings and instructions in the event we got sick and then Magid ( his wife was a pharmacist) had pills called Antinal that worked very well for the 1 or 2 people who got minor cases. The food in the restaurants we ate in was wonderful!!!! Although at that time, there was no wine or alcohol served on or off the ships (Omar al Khayyam and Crown Jewel) or in the restaurants, we were given several bottles of water every day. Tips were not included, and have not been included on any of my 6 Vantage trips to date. We always pay local tour guides and drivers as we go and the ship gratuities are paid prior to disembarking and divided amongst the crew.

We were originally supposed to fly to Abu Simbel (which was included in our itinerary) but at the last minute we were told we would fly to Aswan and then bus across the desert the rest of the way. It was kind of a long ride, but I'm so glad I experienced it! We got to see sand dunes and a camel caravan (and had armored trucks in front and back of us)! Our ship sailed from Abu Simbel for the Lake Nasser cruise, so while we didn't get to see the statues from the river on arrival, we did see them on leaving and it is a breathtaking sight to be sure.

Quite often the tours in countries other than Europe do not follow the normal guidelines. We just returned from Myanmar with Grand Circle and no alcoholic beverages were included except the welcome drink and the farewell party.

These boats are not owned by the cruise company; they are leased and the guidelines for the country who owns them must be followed. In Myanmar we had no Grand Circle employees except for our Program Director. Was the same situation in Russia and China.

Thanks guys for all the great info, everyone. Rick & Lynn, we also took Dukorol last year when we went to Laos and Thailand (but I still got sick.) I guess we should take it again for this trip, although it's not covered by *our* provincial health insurance, but luckily is by our extended health care insurance. I do intend to find Antinal as well. As I think I've stated elsewhere, we both love Middle Eastern food, so will be happy to try local food. If we had to sail on a ship, however, with no alcohol at all, we would choose another boat, period. We will probably bring our alcohol allotment with us from Paris, where we're staying for 4 nights pre-Egypt. I'm hoping the Four Seasons where we'll be staying will have a bar, lol!;)

Quite often the tours in countries other than Europe do not follow the normal guidelines. We just returned from Myanmar with Grand Circle and no alcoholic beverages were included except the welcome drink and the farewell party.

These boats are not owned by the cruise company; they are leased and the guidelines for the country who owns them must be followed. In Myanmar we had no Grand Circle employees except for our Program Director. Was the same situation in Russia and China.

It does seem highly variable outside of Europe... A&K used Sun Boat III for us in Egypt, but all wine/beer were included. It was pretty much all Egyptian wines, but they were OK. That was probably a money losing proposition for our group... ;) There was a group of 6-8 of us who used to stay up late in the bar most nights.

As I think I've stated elsewhere, we both love Middle Eastern food, so will be happy to try local food. If we had to sail on a ship, however, with no alcohol at all, we would choose another boat, period. We will probably bring our alcohol allotment with us from Paris, where we're staying for 4 nights pre-Egypt. I'm hoping the Four Seasons where we'll be staying will have a bar, lol!;)

We have stayed at both Four Seasons in Cairo (on the A&K trip) and yes, they both have bars. No worries. I don't know how much you can bring into Egypt as we didn't need to worry about that.

And the local food was delicious! We were both surprised by how much we enjoyed everything. At the end of the trip, we went out for dinner with another couple to a local restaurant for a real adventure.

Thanks guys for all the great info, everyone. Rick & Lynn, we also took Dukorol last year when we went to Laos and Thailand (but I still got sick.) I guess we should take it again for this trip, although it's not covered by *our* provincial health insurance, but luckily is by our extended health care insurance. I do intend to find Antinal as well. As I think I've stated elsewhere, we both love Middle Eastern food, so will be happy to try local food. If we had to sail on a ship, however, with no alcohol at all, we would choose another boat, period. We will probably bring our alcohol allotment with us from Paris, where we're staying for 4 nights pre-Egypt. I'm hoping the Four Seasons where we'll be staying will have a bar, lol!;)

Hi Wendy: I don't know about Dukorol, but I do know that Antinal was pretty much "Nile Specific"....it was available OTC just about everywhere and it was very inexpensive....I wouldn't worry about insurance covering it but I do know you could NOT get it in the US. Apparently "Pharoah's revenge" is caused by a microbe that is only found in the Nile, and since all of the water in Cairo, Aswan and Luxor comes from the Nile and their water treatment is not like Canada's, America's or most of Europe's, we are susceptible to it while the Egyptians are not because they're used to it. In any event, you don't take Antinal as a preventative, you take it when you have symptoms and then they go away!!!! :D

Hi Wendy: I don't know about Dukorol, but I do know that Antinal was pretty much "Nile Specific"....it was available OTC just about everywhere and it was very inexpensive....I wouldn't worry about insurance covering it but I do know you could NOT get it in the US. Apparently "Pharoah's revenge" is caused by a microbe that is only found in the Nile, and since all of the water in Cairo, Aswan and Luxor comes from the Nile and their water treatment is not like Canada's, America's or most of Europe's, we are susceptible to it while the Egyptians are not because they're used to it. In any event, you don't take Antinal as a preventative, you take it when you have symptoms and then they go away!!!! :D

Kitty, yes, Dukorol is not available in the U.S. I know this because we had to bring refrigerated doses (it's an oral vaccine) down to Florida with us last winter so we could start taking the doses in January before our trip to SE Asia. It's a protection against enteric e-coli. It probably cost about $100 in Canada. Not worried about insurance for Antinal, and I will certainly look for it in Cairo. I know my TA keeps it on hand for her clients, and I'm betting that the tour guides with Uniworld may do the same.

Kitty, yes, Dukorol is not available in the U.S. I know this because we had to bring refrigerated doses (it's an oral vaccine) down to Florida with us last winter so we could start taking the doses in January before our trip to SE Asia. It's a protection against enteric e-coli. It probably cost about $100 in Canada. Not worried about insurance for Antinal, and I will certainly look for it in Cairo. I know my TA keeps it on hand for her clients, and I'm betting that the tour guides with Uniworld may do the same.

I wouldn't be at all surprised Wendy, you don't need a prescription to buy it and when we were there I was under the impression that every TM and ship had a supply because it was easier for THEM to carry it than to hold up everything while you go buy it! Is Dukarol like a vaccine that you take once and you're immune forever? I'm not familiar with it, but then I haven't gone to SE Asia! I know we got a bunch of vaccines before we went to Egypt, but I'm wondering if they were really necessary....although now I don't ever have to worry about Hep. A or typhoid!!