Roatan?? Comments and Suggestions Please

At Sea 4Ever

Interpreter. Maya Key would be perfect for your day in Roatan and is within sight of the ship. Lots of activities, nice pool, expanded beaches, snorkeling great and a zoo of sorts. Your daughter will love it and water taxi comes and goes every 20 minutes. Just a short walk to the pier where it leaves. Google it.

Little French Key. You won't regret it. Beautiful, worth every penny. I did the jaguar interaction and it is a top five life experience.

And you can feel good about spending your money there. Instead of padding cruise line wallets, your money goes to helping an eco friendly animal sanctuary that rescues abandon and abused animals and gives them an amazing home. I have never seen animal enclosures that were so big and well maintained. The people at LFK truly have a passion for people an animals and it was so cool to go there and experience that.

You can even feel good about spending your money in the gift shop. I bought two ornaments there, made out of recycle garbage and part of the proceeds go to support the local orphanage.

It's such a good a place!!

We don't usually do excursions from the ship but we did one in Roatan. It was actually a decent price for what you got.

It was a beach snorkel tour to Tabanyana/West Bay beach with a snorkel tour and lunch included. They take you out snorkelling (right from the beach - no boat required) and once you've had a guided tour you can go back on your own as much as you want.

The reef is awesome - best snorkelling we've done! Food was pretty good and the beach was very nice. Drinks were a decent price as well. The only thing we didn't like were the beach vendors but if you ignore them it's not so bad. We'd do it again.

I could not agree more with the post above about how incredible Tabanyana/West Bay beach is. We were there about 4 years ago and about 7 years ago. It was probably twice as busy our last time, which made it not a pleasant as our first experience there, but we still will go back there next time we visit. We felt quite safe there both times we visited, once with our girls and once without.

We just took a cab with a bunch of other people to West Bay (travel in numbers for safety always). It was a beautiful island and had friendly people from our experience. When you get to West Bay, you are not permitted in the Tabanyana beach area unless on a ship excursion. That is where the best snorkeling is (by far). It is THE best shore snorkeling I have ever seen by a longshot. You are permitted to walk the beach right up to the private Tabanyana beach area (the far left area of the long beach - several miles), then you put on your snorkeling gear, head out into the water, and swim to the reef to the left.

Long story short...I feel totally comfortable visiting Roatan with my children and look forward to doing so again. It is a far better port than Belize in my opinion. Like on many of the islands, I would recommend leaving jewelery locked in the safe in the cabin and travel with a group.

We will be stopping here on our Next cruise on the Navigator in May. We will have our youngest daughter with is (will be 10 yrs old) so probably won't get to do much activities.

Another thumbs up for Victor Bodden here. I have a picture review of a day in Roatan here (starts at post #64):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2040556&page=4

I think you and your 10 year old would love this tour to play with monkeys and have a great beach afternoon. Have a great cruise! :D

I really enjoyed Roatan when we visited. It is not the safest island, but we traveled with Victor Bodden tours which has a great reputation, and we felt safe. I would stick to a tour with this island and wouldn't venture out alone. We did an awesome ziplining and snorkeling tour and really enjoyed it. I find Roatan is not as touristy as many of the ports. It's still relatively undeveloped and is a beautiful green, lush island.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

Never been before and wondering if it's worth getting off the ship? Is it a safe and clean port? Any places we should visit? We enjoy beaches and snorkeling! Is it a better port than Belize?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hands down this place has been our favorite port for years. We have done a lot of the things mentioned on here...West Bay for beach/snorkeling, Victor Bodden zip lining and animals, Maya Key for snorkeling/animals, Mahogany Bay for...to "park" lol, and Little French Key TWICE because it's just that damn good!

Check out the reviews in my signature line and they have tons of pictures in them. (Some of the older reviews may have a broken link to the additional pictures, but if you need any, let me know and I can point you in the right direction). :)

Hands down this place has been our favorite port for years. We have done a lot of the things mentioned on here...West Bay for beach/snorkeling, Victor Bodden zip lining and animals, Maya Key for snorkeling/animals, Mahogany Bay for...to "park" lol, and Little French Key TWICE because it's just that damn good!

Check out the reviews in my signature line and they have tons of pictures in them. (Some of the older reviews may have a broken link to the additional pictures, but if you need any, let me know and I can point you in the right direction). :)

We are thinking of doing Pirate Beach or an excursion at Fantasy Island Beach resort. Any experience with either of those? Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are thinking of doing Pirate Beach or an excursion at Fantasy Island Beach resort. Any experience with either of those? Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nope sorry. I have never even heard of Pirate Beach (have heard of Fantasy Island, but don't hear it mentioned often on here). Every place we have been in listed in my signature line. :)

We cruised with Carnival into Roatan and did Jungle Top Zip Line. It was amazing! It was near the other port, where no ships were docked that day so we had the place pretty much to ourselves. It was the best zip line experience we have had! I'd love to go back and we would do the same! Afterwards we went to Carnivals beach. It was really nice too. You'll have a great time!