Train to Citavecchia from San Pietro

ican82

We are doing a DYI tour of Rome from a RC cruise in June, and want to make sure that we make it back to the port on time. We will be touring the Coliseum in the morning, then the Vatican in the afternoon.

My concern is getting onto the return train at 5 pm on a weekday. Will we be able to get on at San Pietro, near the Vatican? Or should we go earlier and backtrack to Termini to make sure that we can get on that train?

The ship departs at 7 pm.

We are doing a DYI tour of Rome from a RC cruise in June, and want to make sure that we make it back to the port on time. We will be touring the Coliseum in the morning, then the Vatican in the afternoon.

My concern is getting onto the return train at 5 pm on a weekday. Will we be able to get on at San Pietro, near the Vatican? Or should we go earlier and backtrack to Termini to make sure that we can get on that train?

The ship departs at 7 pm.

Taking a train at 5 is cutting things a bit tight for a 7pm departure (which usually means you must be aboard by 6:30). Italian trains do not always run on time...and you would have little margin to implement a "Plan B" to get back to the ship on time. As to taking a train during the afternoon rush hour, the worst case is that you would have to stand on the train.

Hank

Thank you Hlitner and Euro cruiser. I understand your point about not having a plan B, so we will look at the 4:30 train as our goal and have the 5:00 train as the backup. We will shorten our Vatican visit accordingly.

My wife and sons are fine with standing on the train if necessary, so I will grin and bear it.

I have to say that I spent several days researching our Rome options over the last few days while home with the flu, but everything I needed to know has come to me in the last few hours while reviewing these forums. Many thanks to the two of you, as well as Cruisemom42, Slidergirl and many others.

If you're already at the Vatican, I highly recommend taking the train from the Roma San Pietro station. You MAY have to stand part of the way, but it's lie,ly that you will find separate seats at a minimum. The time you waste getting back to Termini, and the zoo there, just isn't worth it IMO. Our rule of thumb us too take the second to last train back to the port!

This is what was suggested to us before our trip and so we did it this way. We were told to do the Vatican in the morning getting of at St Pietro station (got the 8:44 am train missed the 8:01 by 5 mins :( even though we were off the ship as soon as possible and walked as fast as we could to the train station! We arrived about 10:00 had a tour booked at 10:30 we were rushed to get there!) After the Vatican went on Metro to the Spanish steps , Trevi fountain, saw the Pantheon and several several other churches on the way ended up at the Colisseum already had our tickets but unless you are doing a specific tour can show up at anytime.

We wanted to head back to the ship from the Termini as I was told if it is full they will not even stop at St Pietro so I figured we would be safer knowing we were on the train headed back not wondering if they we full and stop for us at St Pietro. The train was EXTREMELY crowded and my hubby did have a girl trying to feel in his pockets (so beware) Boarding time was 6:30 and we made it to the ship at 6:25 a little too close for comfort!

Thank you CathyCruises and Tidygirl. I hate to backtrack to Termini, but I don't want to take the chance of missing the train. I guess a shortened Vatican visit is better than an overnight train ride to Naples.

Edited by ican82

This is what was suggested to us before our trip and so we did it this way. We were told to do the Vatican in the morning getting of at St Pietro station (got the 8:44 am train missed the 8:01 by 5 mins :( even though we were off the ship as soon as possible and walked as fast as we could to the train station! We arrived about 10:00 had a tour booked at 10:30 we were rushed to get there!) After the Vatican went on Metro to the Spanish steps , Trevi fountain, saw the Pantheon and several several other churches on the way ended up at the Colisseum already had our tickets but unless you are doing a specific tour can show up at anytime.

We wanted to head back to the ship from the Termini as I was told if it is full they will not even stop at St Pietro so I figured we would be safer knowing we were on the train headed back not wondering if they we full and stop for us at St Pietro. The train was EXTREMELY crowded and my hubby did have a girl trying to feel in his pockets (so beware) Boarding time was 6:30 and we made it to the ship at 6:25 a little too close for comfort!

If this ever happened, it is extremely rare.

The train could be quite full, but they will open the doors (after all, what if a passenger needs to get off?).

I have found with regional trains (and metro lines) that if you stand close to the very front or very back of the platform, those cars tend to be the least crowded. The ones in the middle fill up the fastest.

Yes I don't know it it ever happens but I sure didn't want to find out! Then try to figure out how to catch up with the ship!

A taxi from Rome will still get you there in time. I never travel on my own to Rome by train without having the taxi dispatch number with me.

Thank you Cruisemom42: I will go back to the original plan of aiming for the 4:30 train at San Pietro, with the 5:00 train as a backup.

I have enjoyed your posts while researching this trip. In fact I found one from 2009 that gave the full itinerary for a DIY day trip to Rome that was almost exactly the itinerary that I had taken several days to plan. Wish I had found yours first.

Cruisemom speaks with much wisdom! Those of us who do a lot of independent travel (especially off a cruise ship) like to preach about having a "Plan B" (and sometimes even a Plan C) in case something goes wrong with the normal planning. We always have the phone number of the ship's local agent (so we can call if something goes wrong) and either have alternative options for getting back to the ship or a plan on the best way to catch-up to the ship the following day (unless its a day at sea). I should add that there also some folks who will actually plan on not returning to a ship so they can spend more time ashore. One popular plan is if a ship is going between Naples, Civitavecchia or Livorno. For example, one can leave the ship in Livorno, spend a nice long day in Florence, enjoy an excellent dinner in Florence, and then take a morning train to Rome...enjoy that day and catch up to the ship that afternoon in Civitavecchia.

These overnight options actually work in many parts of Europe and can be a lot of fun for those who want a little more short time and desire to enjoy a good local meal.

Hank