which airlines do you prefer

Dreamer115

So many Canadians hate Air Canada and love WestJet. I refuse to fly WestJet. Every flight I have had with them has been late, and the cabin crew were so jaw-droppingly unprofessional it beggared belief. Air Canada may not be perfect but they've done a lot better in my experiences.

I don't fly Westjet ever...I did once or twice and was not impressed with the service, the seat booking arrangements, the professionalism or lack thereof of the cabin crew..felt like I was in a day care.

Also, they are generally more expensive than AC anytime I book and they were the first in Canada to introduce baggae fees for travel in Canada...

So Air Canada is the lesser of the 2 evils imho.

Wish we had more options like they do in the US!

OP- Also check Bellingham (BLI)...there are an increasing number of flights and airlines to service the Vancouver market. There are not a ton of choices, but all you need is a flight that works for you.

I'm unclear on the post about "lowest end planes". Assuming it means seat comfort, entertainment, etc. in the past few years AA and Alaska have both purchased new aircraft and/or refurbished cabins. The comments may be outdated, especially since the same post rates Southwest higher (and they are bottom of the list for in-flight amenities).

Last comment, I fly from the LA area to Vancouver once a year. The additional roundtrip fare to YVR is only $30-70 more than SEA and is cheaper than the price and extra time that ground transportation from SEA up to Vancouver would require. This may not be true for travel originating in Canada due to different tax rules.

Edited by kenish

...And always the best prices.

Going DEN-FLL, non-stop on United was $146 PP one way. Non-stop on Southwest was $166 PP one way. First piece of luggage free free for us on United due to a credit card perk, so that's not a concern. Spirit nonstop was $114 PP non-stop. Spirit left at 11:40 PM, so I didn't even try to find out what the baggage fees were.

Southwest was offering up a connection for $133 PP, but that left at 5:30 AM. As always, you pay for convenience.

From one BC'er to another, you should always look at Seattle departures first... always. Only once out of over 10 times (upcoming March) have I scored a flight deal out of YVR to an embarkation port (HOU, FLL, MIA). 3hr drive has saved me $200-$500pp.

AA airlines: lowest end planes, many with no entertainment or movies

Delta: really nice planes and Atlanta connection very nice terminal. One of nicer of mass market US airlines imo

Southwest: sometimes best prices, nice comfortable planes

Alaska: more like American Airlines, lower end for me

United: decent planes but not as nice as Delta, Houston airport is also a great layover hub airport. United connects from YVR.

Best customer service I ever had, saved my butt getting to a cruise same day when plane encountered mechanical failure... taxi'd me free of charge to another airport, with food vouchers, and onto competitor American Airline flight in order to get me to cruise on time. Did this from the tarmac on my cell. I couldn't thank them enough. I try to look for United first everytime now unless another carrier's price is too low to refuse. When someone saves your butt from missing your cruise (think cost, stress, time missed to get to next port... especially if a couple of sea days first!!), I'll give United my business first if I can

Thanks for your response. Lots of info here. I did check Seattle and way cheaper to Quebec. But when you consider hotel and parking in Seattle then the savings dwindle and the extra time and it just didn't make sense as we will be gone 3 weeks. I have heard many comments here about Southwest being good, not an option for us. Looks like Delta or American home and Air Canada to get to Quebec.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Connie

Unless they don't fly there or fare difference is just too much, we always fly United or Star Alliance partners.

SF is a United hub and when we were both working (including being Premier Execs or 1K), United treated us very well.

If for no other reason than to keep replenishing our banked miles, we will stay with United.

That's why we always try to fly AA or One World. Once you get to a certain level of eliteness, it's hard to give it up. As current Platinums we get double miles, free Main Cabin Extra seating upgraded more frequently and 2 free checked bags. As lifetime Gold, I get.... a free checked bag.

If they service the airport we always choose Southwest for cruises-- bags free and liberal on the allowance plus you can change flight no fee-- example--last November we cruised RT out of San Juan-- we had read all the CC recommendations about taking an afternoon flight out of San Juan so we booked a 3:30 PM flight.

We arrived at the airport at 8:45 am and were able to score a 10:45 SW flight with no Change fee or added fare!!! And we were very very glad to not have to sit around at SJU for 7 1/2 hours....

You have to buy a certain fare level to get a free same day change on SWA - it's normally $75. Still less than one of the legacy carriers if you don't have status, but it's definitely not free unless you book their business class equivalent (which IMO is a joke) or have A-list status.

Last year I had a choice of AA or SWA to fly R/T to SJU for a cruise. I initially chose SWA because it was less expensive, but quickly came to realize that:

I would have to be on the same plane, with 2 stops, for ten hours. With a 30 minute turnaround, I wouldn't have been able to get off the plane at either stop, either. And they only serve nuts and pretzels, so I'd have to either stock up at SJU or be the crankiest bi!ch you have ever known by the time I got home.

So I cancelled (banked the fare, since it was nonrefundable, but at least there was no fee to do so) and booked AA in FC for double the price, but infinitely more comfort. And used the SWA credits for a couple of short haul flights. Anything over 3 hours and they are not in the running for me.

And they are no longer a low-cost airline, nor is Jet Blue. They just aren't legacy carriers.

As to the original question, for the same price and the same amount of time, I would pick American because I have status. I would even fly them for a nominal extra or a longer flight. But that's all because of status. If I didn't have any, it would depend on the routing and what seats I could pick at the time I book (I'm an aisle gal).

If you could choose an airline if the price was the same which would it be and why?

American, United, Delta, Air Canada, Alaska

I have only flown Alaska and would like to find out which may be better.

Thanks

Connie

There is no one definition of "better." It depends entirely on what is important to an individual person. Are you trying to rack up air miles? Or use them? Does the flight itinerary matter to you? i.e. are there enough flights out of your home airport on a given airline that you can choose what time you leave? Number of connections? Particular airport preferences where you connect? Does it matter to you if you are on a smaller regional jet for all or part of your flight? etc. etc.

If you are flying coach and you are looking for someone to say that XX airline has tons for legroom, much wider seats, fantastic food or the like, forget it. They are all pretty similar, so figure out what's important to you. If you don't care about using/earning miles, I'd be looking at the itinerary times/connections as a 2nd factor after price. But that's just me.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, this is a moving target. Things change, but at the moment:

I like Southwest and Alaska.

I avoid United, Delta, and American.

To Europe, I use British Airways, but have had good luck with Lufthansa.

Never say never, as I'm using United to Cancun next fall. Sometimes the route dictates the airline. Southwest is hard to beat with no baggage fees, great re-booking policy, and about a third of my flights are free with their FF program + their VISA card.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Let's face it.....You are never going to get a useful answer. It depends on so many variations: a screaming kid next to you can totally ruin your flight, bad weather can cause huge delays, they ran out of your favorite sandwich on board, the baggage carousel at the airport broke down, you name it, and there is not very much the airline can do about it. What is "better" is personal, different for everybody, and can be different every time you fly too. And most people on this forum only fly once a year or a few times a year to go on holiday, what do they know about consistent quality based on one performance? I worked for many airlines more than half of my working life, and I don't have the answer either.

What I do know, is that every day at the airport, I checked in loads of whiny people who were always saying that they were flying with the competition next time. When checking in for airline X, they claimed the quality was nothing like airline Y. Next, I manned the check-in desk for airline Y where all the whiners complained they were going to fly with airline X next time.:D Most western airlines are fairly similar, like waterbug already said.

Just look at the answers you got....one writes "I only fly American" whilst the next writes "I avoid American at all cost". Now that is helpful for you.....The truth of the matter is that we are talking about a few hours in coach on fairly similar airlines, not about life-changing decisions. I agree with Waterbug: look at the itinerary and the price that works for you.

It seems most here agree about Southwest. That is what I was looking for. Thanks for your opinions. Flights are booked.

Connie

Maybe next time ask "I want to book Southwest. Opinions?"

Southwest was not even mentioned in your original question, the choice was American, United, Delta, Air Canada, Alaska.

It seems most here agree about Southwest. That is what I was looking for.

Maybe next time ask "I want to book Southwest. Opinions?"

Southwest was not even mentioned in your original question, the choice was American, United, Delta, Air Canada, Alaska.

And had the OP asked about Southwest specifically, I would have been one of the minority NOT claiming a love affair with them. They're fine, I have flown them and may again, but it's not my airline of choice for assorted reasons. As I said before though, "best" means something different to everyone and "best" for me is not Southwest. :)

If you could choose an airline if the price was the same which would it be and why?

American, United, Delta, Air Canada, Alaska

I have only flown Alaska and would like to find out which may be better.

Thanks

Connie

Personally depends where you are flying to/from? I prefer Delta.. for their no-nonsense low low rates.. We fly from Portland, Maine to Miami or Fort Lauderdale for less than $250 return all taxes/fees included. When we last flew in October grand total rate was $203 per person return. Hard to beat. Have been tempted to fly out of Boston to Miami this coming April. Delta has rates of $183 return right now.. wowsers !!! really hard to beat that..

I heard that Spirit airline is dirt cheap.. but you pay for EVERYTHING.. you even pay for carryon.. So if you decide to fly with Spirit be warned..

I think we will stick with Delta for now.. No complaints here..

The only airline I would never use again is Air Canada. I can't think of one thing that impressed me about them. Flight was an hour late even though the plane was at the gate two hours before takeoff. Get this, they forgot to take on water after the last flight came in. Service was slow. Inflight entertainment was on the internet so if you didn't have a tablet, or smartphone, you had to rent one from them. Paid extra for exit row seats and there was only about two inches of extra leg room. Kept it so cold in the plane it felt like a meat locker. Food was pathetic. This was on a 7 1/2 hour transatlantic.

We flew Air Canada once.. and I can agree with EVERYTHING you are saying.. and I will add this.. the crew are snobby ! Very poor customer service.. seemed to just go through the motions with no heart.. one lady even glarred at us when we asked for a napkin.. omg.. thought she was going to slap my daughter when she asked for a blanket because it was so cold.

Yes they seem to be my main choices. Prices are comparable for all. From Florida to Vancouver BC in Nov of this year. Price seems to be going up every few days so need to lock down the air part of this trip.

If are in Vancouver.. you will find way way cheaper rates if you drive to Seattle and fly out of there. We live in PEI, Canada and we drive to Portland, Maine (8 hrs) then we overnight at cheap motel and its still way cheaper for us to fly out of rather than Charlottetown, Moncton or Halifax. Save low on aircosts, drive to Seattle, overnight and you'd still save money flying out of Seattle. Flights out of Canada are sooooo expensive to anywhere.. (unless you are in Toronto of course)