Does a larger ship really decrease seasickness noticeably?

CnKinChatt

Get Center Mid ship rooms.Plus consider a land vacation instead. Secrets that are not so secret are crackers and slices of apple. Keeping food on your stomach and not drinking to the point of getting tipsy. My daughter was sea sick once on the first ship on the first day she was on but it was rough.

After a few she'll either get used to it or be land bound. If your really worried go on the Allure or Oasis.

A2Mich - I'm not convinced either so this will be an experiment, however, since we aren't big on over-medicating I'm hoping some of the more natural options will work. I remember that when I was pregnant ginger pills DID help with nausea, so I will be bringing some form of ginger (available in gum and essential oil, as well as pill form). Also, I've read that rosemary, peppermint and fennel help with nausea. I also plan on bringing the following: Motion Eaze, Acu-Strap sea band bracelet, and Dramamine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the advice. I'd rather try some of those remedies, yet still have neck ozone available if needed. I don't care much for the side effects of most medications myself, so would rather try other methods first, and if they don't help at all or enough, would have the meds just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The overriding issue is the weather, but conditions being equal, regarding rocking motion:

Larger ship > smaller ship

Newer ship > older ship

Larger ships rock less due to size.

Newer ships rock less due to technology that dampens the actions

A room lower in the ship and near the center of the ship will be the most stable in any ship.

You have the > going the wrong way.

my five cents worth - we just came back from the Voyager of the Seas. It was noticeably more stable than the Rhapsody of the seas which we sailed on 12 months ago. Same time of year, same weather conditions, same sea conditions. I cant comment on the particular ships you are looking at but for us the bigger ship was definitely more stable. We were in midship cabins on both cruises. We stopped taking our seasick tablets on Day 2 of our 14 day cruise on the Voyager.

• 1 month later...
Thanks:) yes...I think we WILL be going with the bigger/newer ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The single biggest help for motion sickness is to get out and look at the horizon. Sitting in an inside cabin or public venue is the worst. Motion sickness happens when the messages your brain gets from your eyes doesn't agree with the messages from your inner ear. The inner ear senses the change in pressure as you move, so it says "moving", but your eyes look at the wall (which is moving with you) and says "not moving". If you look at the horizon, your eyes now say "moving", and things are better.

The single biggest help for motion sickness is to get out and look at the horizon. Sitting in an inside cabin or public venue is the worst. Motion sickness happens when the messages your brain gets from your eyes doesn't agree with the messages from your inner ear. The inner ear senses the change in pressure as you move, so it says "moving", but your eyes look at the wall (which is moving with you) and says "not moving". If you look at the horizon, your eyes now say "moving", and things are better.

I am just the opposite - if I'm outside or looking out the window and see the horizon going up and down, up and down, I need my little sick sack next to me. If, however, I'm inside (in a theatre, or even in the cabin with the curtains drawn), I tolerate the motion much better. I still rely on meclizine (Bonine) to help me to enjoy all the lovely days we are on a cruise ship.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)