Seeking advice from anyone who has taken Princess land/cruise tour

PAsailors2

Our land portion is first, and we are trying to fit in a flight with glacier landing to avoid backtracking from Denali to Talkeetna unless it's necessary.

Pease look at what we've been given so far from Princess and advise as to what's doable:

8/7. 9:15am - train from Anchorage to Talkeetna. Arrive Noon. Transfer to McKinley Lodge (abt 1 hr - check in time is 3pm)

Would we have time for an excursion upon arrival, or must everyone be ready to leave right away for the lodge?

8/8 McKinley to Denali ( no time given but trip says approx 2 1/4hrs.) so we hesitate to plan anything for this day, unless your experience with the transfer would indicate there's time

8/9 We are at the Denali lodge full day with an already scheduled Princess tour which we need to upgrade - part of our pkg

8/10 Bus to Copper River lodge (9 hrs. With lunch on your own)

8/11 Copper River full day

8/12 Copper River to Valdez (3 1/2hrs - bus) Then Valdez to Whittier via catamaran (4hrs). We then join the ship southbound.

Thanks so much for your input. Great to rely on fellow CC members!

Sent using Forums

I'd go to the Princess website, sign in and see what tours are offered for your cruisetour. If you have time for excursions through Princess, you should have time for independent. Although you may have a problem with logistics (shuttle, taxi, etc) if you are independent.

HAL won't let you book excursions on their website if time isn't available.

I'd go to the Princess website, sign in and see what tours are offered for your cruisetour. If you have time for excursions through Princess, you should have time for independent. Although you may have a problem with logistics (shuttle, taxi, etc) if you are independent.

HAL won't let you book excursions on their website if time isn't available.

I don't know how Hal or Princess works but on Celebrity, you cannot book anything or upgrade anything for the cruisetour/land portion of your trip until you arrive in Alaska and meet with your land tour director. Therefore, I'm reluctant to book anything on my own.

If you call Princess and ask for their cruise tour desk, they might be able to give you an idea if excursion time is available. They may also share what land tours Princess will be offering you. You can use those "free times" to book excursions on your own!

We did a similiar tour a couple years ago. I'm not sure what you are asking about 8/7. If you want to stay in Talkeetna you need to verify Princess will have a shuttle bus later in the day to get you to the lodge. I'm not sure you need a tour at Talkeetna, it is a cute town to visit and walk around.

At Copper River lodge we took an independent trip to Kennicott McCarthy area using The Kennicott Shuttle. It is a twelve hour interesting day but I would caution it is a very bumpy ride on unpaved roads, not for the faint of heart.

We are independent travelers and rarely take ship excursions but we very much enjoyed the cruise tour with Princess.

We are going in July, 2015 and had the same type of dilemma as you are encountering. We were not offered the extended tour into Denali through Princess "due to time restraints". We were able to book a tour by ourselves and arrange independent transportation from the lodge to the Wilderness Access Center. When I specifically asked Princess then refund the price of the Natural History to our credit card ($198.00). We are paying for the Denali trip (no snacks or drinks, bring your own) and arrange transportation for $110.00.

Needless to say, we haven't gone yet so I can't comment on the actual logistics of this choice but on paper it looks great!

I also have to say I could have NEVER arranged this option without the assistance of the experts on this site!!

Edited by DentoAlaska

The flightseeing trips out of Talkeetna run until 9/10pm.

Since you're on a cruisetour, your luggage will get to the hotel without you, so why not hop off the train at noon in talkeetna and go flightseeing at that time, instead of riding 45 minutes out to the lodge and coming back again?

I don't know how late the Princess shuttle runs so you'll need to ask, or, perhaps the flightseeing vendor can offer a transfer option.

There are several flightseeing companiess listed in the Talkeetna Chamber. Look at each of them for the routes, aircraft types, cost, etc.

http://www.talkeetnachamber.org/

Edited by mapleleaves

Thanks! We knew CC members would come through! Yes, we are trying to avoid travel to the McKinley lodge and back to get a flight/glacier landing. We contacted the Chamber in Talkeetna who has already put us in touch with 3 tour companies. Our concern was the shuttle service to the lodge once we arrive in Talkeetna. The person with whom I spoke at Princess wasn't of much assistance - apparently we are "early" for such definitive time info.

Sent using Forums

Our land portion is first, and we are trying to fit in a flight with glacier landing to avoid backtracking from Denali to Talkeetna unless it's necessary.

Pease look at what we've been given so far from Princess and advise as to what's doable:

8/7. 9:15am - train from Anchorage to Talkeetna. Arrive Noon. Transfer to McKinley Lodge (abt 1 hr - check in time is 3pm)

Would we have time for an excursion upon arrival, or must everyone be ready to leave right away for the lodge?

8/8 McKinley to Denali ( no time given but trip says approx 2 1/4hrs.) so we hesitate to plan anything for this day, unless your experience with the transfer would indicate there's time

8/9 We are at the Denali lodge full day with an already scheduled Princess tour which we need to upgrade - part of our pkg

8/10 Bus to Copper River lodge (9 hrs. With lunch on your own)

8/11 Copper River full day

8/12 Copper River to Valdez (3 1/2hrs - bus) Then Valdez to Whittier via catamaran (4hrs). We then join the ship southbound.

Thanks so much for your input. Great to rely on fellow CC members!

Sent using Forums

You can not "backtrack Denali to Talkeetna". with a Princess cruise tour. Once you arrive in Talkeetna the day is yours with Princess running shuttle buses to the McKinley Lodge about every hour. You can schedule your flight easily, just tell the vendor you are arriving by train and go with their timing recommendation. The train leaves at 8:15am from Anchorage, not 9:15m

As a suggestion- I would just request a refund of the Natural History tour, then book YOURSEF on the tour of shuttle bus of choice. In the past Princess only told you the tour bus schedule when you got there.

We were not offered the extended tour into Denali through Princess "due to time restraints". We were able to book a tour by ourselves and arrange independent transportation from the lodge to the Wilderness Access Center.

We have the same dilemma in June. I know we don't want the shorter tour, I need to look into this as well. Not working with a TA, so I hope I don't screw it up! ;)

We have the same dilemma in June. I know we don't want the shorter tour, I need to look into this as well. Not working with a TA, so I hope I don't screw it up! ;)

The key to not "screwing" up is to know what you are doing. :)

Your first job is to verify your exact time of arrival and departure.

Get a refund from Princess.

Review and understand fully what is available http://www.nps.gov/dena

The above poster is taking a SHUTTLE bus into Denali. This is very different from the TOUR buses. Be certain to understand the differences and what each will involve with getting on each. Anything leaving from the Wilderness Access Center is going to require YOU getting there. Be sure to have plans in place for how.

Booking yourself is way superior than "upgrading" with Princess. YOU get to select exactly what you want and make the payments and reservations for the bus.

When I was trying to book excursions, I was frustrated with the lack of exact times in the Princess Personalizer. I found, upon looking into it further, that the confirmation email I received from Princess had a much more exact itinerary with est. arrival/departure times as an attachement- checking that may also help answer a few of your questions.

Check the detail for your CruiseTour. We are taking the same one earlier in the summer and go by bus from Anchorage to Talkeetna and train from Talkeetna to Denali. Your Travel Summary should have all the times listed. It would be nice if the train segment was Anchorage to Talkeetna, better chance for views of Denali. We have a 1pm flight scheduled from Talkeetna because the flight in Denali will not work with our other plans. If you do take a Shuttle from the WAC, expect long lines and get there early.

When I was trying to book excursions, I was frustrated with the lack of exact times in the Princess Personalizer. I found, upon looking into it further, that the confirmation email I received from Princess had a much more exact itinerary with est. arrival/departure times as an attachement- checking that may also help answer a few of your questions.

Our confirmation email only gave the times I listed on the query. That is why the planning question, as Princess when I called couldn't be specific with times I was asking about this far in advance. We have written to the Chamber of Commerce in Talkeetna hoping they may have had enough dealings with Princess land portion that they can advise about scheduling when we arrive. Appreciate your insight!

Sent using Forums

Our confirmation email only gave the times I listed on the query. That is why the planning question, as Princess when I called couldn't be specific with times I was asking about this far in advance. We have written to the Chamber of Commerce in Talkeetna hoping they may have had enough dealings with Princess land portion that they can advise about scheduling when we arrive. Appreciate your insight!

Sent using Forums

Call Princess again and ask for their cruise tour desk. There should be someone familiar with the pre cruise portion at that desk that can at least give you general times. Celebrity doesn't have a schedule either but were able to say things like depart after breakfast, arrive after lunch, have free time all afternoon...

After your last comment I went to my email to check which of my documents had the arrival and departure times. The document is titled "Booking Notification". Are you possibly looking at the wrong document? Or not scrolling down far enough? Our Itinerary including times is at the bottom of the document. I hope this helps.

After your last comment I went to my email to check which of my documents had the arrival and departure times. The document is titled "Booking Notification". Are you possibly looking at the wrong document? Or not scrolling down far enough? Our Itinerary including times is at the bottom of the document. I hope this helps.

Great observation! I am confused by the OP. If I go to My Princess, then Booking Summary, then Travel Summary, then Download and Print, all the times are there.

Check the detail for your CruiseTour. We are taking the same one earlier in the summer and go by bus from Anchorage to Talkeetna and train from Talkeetna to Denali. Your Travel Summary should have all the times listed. It would be nice if the train segment was Anchorage to Talkeetna, better chance for views of Denali. We have a 1pm flight scheduled from Talkeetna because the flight in Denali will not work with our other plans. If you do take a Shuttle from the WAC, expect long lines and get there early.

Are you referring to first hand information? Not sure where you are getting this information, but it's not accurate your "Denali" viewing reference. There is excellent viewing for the 30++ miles past the Talkeetna Spur Road, by BOTH the road and rail which parallel each other with common views.

You must be talking about the Princess Lodge shuttle bus? Plenty of times, I have seen no lines.

Thanks so much. Found it! You were right - hadn't scrolled down and accessed the PDF which does show times. Just the booking details do not - has to actually be in the PDF to print mode to see the times.

Sent using Forums

Are you referring to first hand information? Not sure where you are getting this information, but it's not accurate your "Denali" viewing reference. There is excellent viewing for the 30++ miles past the Talkeetna Spur Road, by BOTH the road and rail which parallel each other with common views.

You must be talking about the Princess Lodge shuttle bus? Plenty of times, I have seen no lines.

First hand experience. Talkeetna Spur Road connects Talkeetna with George Parks Highway south of Talkeetna. No views of The Great One north of Talkeetna from the train that I know of.

First hand experience. Talkeetna Spur Road connects Talkeetna with George Parks Highway south of Talkeetna. No views of The Great One north of Talkeetna from the train that I know of.

Sorry, you missed it. For general information, I will again state, there are plenty of views north of Talkeetna. You are giving wrong information.

Here is official information, since you are disputing mine. http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/OurTrains/DenaliStar/tabid/99/Default.aspx

Sorry, you missed it. For general information, I will again state, there are plenty of views north of Talkeetna. You are giving wrong information.

Here is official information, since you are disputing mine. http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/OurTrains/DenaliStar/tabid/99/Default.aspx

I guess we agree to disagree. I have traveled that route 5 times. I have never seen Denali north of Talkeetna on the train but twice south of Talkeetna. Seems strange that the Mountain would not be out in both places on the same day. Perhaps the trees have grown since Alaska Railroad did their website.