Are the Portions In Blu Super Small?

bvocruise

My wife and I are pretty big eaters and have always been full when leaving the dining room on all the lines we have sailed. I've read a lot about people leaving Blu hungry and switching to the main dining room. Is this pretty common? What other ways to people handle the small portion sizes? Do they order room service or hit the buffet after dinner to top off?

I guess big eater is a matter of perspective. I don't find the portions in Blu to be particularly small and I have certainly never left dinner there hungry. Never could I imagine hitting the buffet right after dinner.

I also think it's probably rare that anyone who paid for Aqua decides to switch to the MDR. I'm sure it happens though.

In any case--Blu is like any other dining venue on the ship. They will aim to please you, so if there is something you want more of, just ask.

They are not Blue Plate Special sizes if one can visualize a scenario of overflowing food on an oval plate.

From our last experience, many of the main offerings were served in a coupe bowl which may be the main reason so many are put off by the presentation because it is not an overflowing one. It's contained in the coupe and not extended to fill or even overflow the coupe.

So many have likened it to Nouveau Cusine that seems to be a diminishment of quantity.

There are still multiple courses offered in Blu. And as previously mentioned just ask if one wants to sample more to be satisfied with the dining experience.

I would classify myself as a "big eater" and will be dining in Blu for the fourth cruise in a few weeks. I have never left hungry and the food is very satisfying. You can order as much as you wish and can tactfully share entrees etc. The waitstaff is very attentive and will bring you additional meat etc upon request. Don't let the "clean cuisine" or spa food description discourage you I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I would classify myself as a "big eater" and will be dining in Blu for the fourth cruise in a few weeks. I have never left hungry and the food is very satisfying. You can order as much as you wish and can tactfully share entrees etc. The waitstaff is very attentive and will bring you additional meat etc upon request. Don't let the "clean cuisine" or spa food description discourage you I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I appreciate all of the responses. We have never gone hungry on a cruise and Blu sounds great. I'm a little nervous on the spa food menu but am up to give it a try. I can do without much meat and stuff for 11 days.

No, no, don't think of it as spa cuisine. And the portions are no smaller than the MDR. I remember one evening last Feb. the steaks were very tough and most people tried to cut and eat it, then just left it. some thing are hit and miss. It is a lovely room - enjoy!

No, no, don't think of it as spa cuisine. And the portions are no smaller than the MDR. I remember one evening last Feb. the steaks were very tough and most people tried to cut and eat it, then just left it. some thing are hit and miss. It is a lovely room - enjoy!

Steak, wow I was thinking of cucumber slices over tofu.

Oh, don't worry - they have a good menu of beef, chicken, veal, and fish. You will not at all feel like you are at a fat-farm, - not at all like that. I really don't think you save very many calories on a meal (if at all).

Have you seen the sample menu for Blu on the Celebrity site? It might help you feel a bit better about "doing without much meat and stuff for 11 days":

APPETIZERS

Grilled Tamarind Glazed Quail

Cinnamon Pickled Carrots, Tabbouleh Salad

Chilled Seafood Napoleon

Cucumber Carpaccio, Saffron Vinaigrette

BLU Cheese Soufflé

Candied Anjou Pear and Port Wine Reduction

SOUPS & SALADS

Chilled Avocado and Lemon Soup

with Poached Shrimp

Sweet Yellow Corn Velouté

Chile Oil, Cilantro and Chorizo

Baby Spinach Salad

Roquefort Cheese, Bloomed Craisins, Toasted Pecans,

Prosciutto and Black Pepper Emulsion

Marinated Tear Drop Tomatoes

and Bocconcini Salad

Basil, Argan Olive Oil and Balsamic Syrup

Daily alternative dressing / vinaigrette

SALAD ENTRÉE

Grilled Salmon Filet

and Endive Watercress Salad

with Basil Pesto

ENTRÉES

Orecchiette Pasta

Porcini Mushrooms, Vegetable Pistou and Basil

Blackened Ahi Tuna

Forbidden Rice, Baby Bok Choy, Spicy Onion

and White Sesame Seed Vinaigrette

Roasted Chicken Breast

Green Lentil Blini, Wilted Spinach

and Tomato-Garlic Emulsion

Pan Seared Filet Mignon

Celery Root Purée, Green Asparagus,

Cabernet Confit Shallots and Olive Oil Beef Jus

Daily Vegetable

Baby Poached Vegetables and Lemon Oil

CLASSIC FAVORITES

Broiled Atlantic Salmon Filet

Roasted Airline Chicken Breast

Grilled New York Strip

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-blu

We'll be sailing AQ on the Reflection in December and can't wait for Blu - but the Cafe al Bacio is calling my name for the "Ice Spaghetti Verde":

Pistacchio Sicilia Gelato with Cream, Toasted Pecans & Bitter Sweet Chocolate Sauce

Oh YUM :D

portions are big enough to share IMO, if you get an appetizer, salad or soup too, by the time the entree comes theres not much room left... we usually shared or if we didn't we both had half an entree left, & there's lamb, beef, chicken, it's absolutely not diet food. :)

Puhleeze! :rolleyes: One of the best filet mignons I have each year is during my cruises on X while dining in Blu. And because so often I can't finish it, I beg them to give me the smallest. I think that's been around 5.5-6 oz. Also their rack of lamb and short ribs are excellent. Enjoy Blu. I will be doing just that in a bit less than 3 months.

We were in AQ in Nov/Dec 2014 and we struggled with the portion sizes. Some dishes were very small (manicotti) and others were large (duck breast). We ended up ordering 4 courses each night, so that we had enough to eat if the entree was small. This worked well for us. Enjoy your cruise!

I think the staff in Blu will feed you until you 'pop'.

This was a statement made by my 20 year old godson who is well over six feet and can really really eat. We call him hollow legs but the staff in Blu defeated him. How I hear you ask? Well on the first night when he saw his first course he was horror struck and said...unfortunately during a lull in the general conversation...Hell I'm going to starve! From that moment on the wait staff saw it as their mission to feed him until he was full.

Let me assure you there is NO danger of you going hungry but be warned blu has been known to cause clothes to shrink ...or....is that the sea air?

Enjoy Blu, have a lovely cruise.

Puhleeze! :rolleyes: One of the best filet mignons I have each year is during my cruises on X while dining in Blu. And because so often I can't finish it, I beg them to give me the smallest. I think that's been around 5.5-6 oz. Also their rack of lamb and short ribs are excellent. Enjoy Blu. I will be doing just that in a bit less than 3 months.

Your comment made me chuckle in a good way.

On the Equinox in December, the protein item on the meal was adequate in Blu, but tight when it came to vegetables. I always ordered extra vegetables and a baked potato in addition to what was on the plate. I'm not sold on Blu, we had 3 of our 10 meals in the MDR as the offerings were more to our liking. One evening there was meat loaf on the Blu menu!

We loved BLU and are not exactly small folks. There were occasions when my 240lb husband left food on his plate because he was full. Not because he was tired of eating it.

One night we had their Veal Shanks and each one must have weighed over 1lb.

They were huge and delicious. This could definitely have been shared successfully.

Enjoy your cruise and just ask the Blu staff if you would like something else.

Carol