Port Everglades in Transit - How to get out?

carlmm

How to get out of the port by public transportation or walking reasonable distances?

I will sail on tow consecutive HAL cruises in February/March and thus have a port day in Fort Lauderdale.

I would like just to walk out and do a bit of sightseeing by public bus, water taxi or just walking -from the information I found that looks to be nearly impossible.

The pier will probably be 26.

Is it true that both the nearest public bus station and the water taxi stop are on 17th street?

And that the distance is two miles or more to walk from the pier?

Is there really no shuttle like in other ports?

Any easier way to get to the interesting part of Fort Lauderdale without taxi and tours?

Any help will be appreciated.

How to get out of the port by public transportation or walking reasonable distances?

I will sail on tow consecutive HAL cruises in February/March and thus have a port day in Fort Lauderdale.

I would like just to walk out and do a bit of sightseeing by public bus, water taxi or just walking -from the information I found that looks to be nearly impossible.

The pier will probably be 26.

Is it true that both the nearest public bus station and the water taxi stop are on 17th street?

And that the distance is two miles or more to walk from the pier?

Is there really no shuttle like in other ports?

Any easier way to get to the interesting part of Fort Lauderdale without taxi and tours?

Any help will be appreciated.

Here's a map of the port: http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/MEDIA/Port-Map-REVISED-Jan-2015.pdf. Two miles looks about right.

I've never heard of a shuttle at Port Everglades. Most of the cruises that dock in Port Everglades are terminating - there are very few that are only docking for the day like in other ports. Granted there are cruisers lucky enough to do Back to Backs (in fact I was on a Princess cruise last February that had 800 of them!) but I think there just isn't enough demand to warrant a shuttle (potentially you would be losing so much time just riding the shuttle as it stopped at each terminal)

HAL usually docks at the south-east end (piers 24, 25 and 26). Port Everglades is not walker friendly (it is a container port too so lots of truck traffic) and depending what time of year you visit the weather can be a problem for walkers (summers are hot, humid and tropical with thunderstorms). As megr1125 recommended, take a taxi to 17th street to the Hilton Marina for the water taxi; or get off at the intersection of 17th and Eisenhower and wave the sun trolley down of the south side of 17th. For more info on what to see and do in Fort Lauderdale, check out http://www.sunny.org.

There are crew shuttle buses/vans that operate in Port Everglades. They will take you from the piers to the 17th street area. Get friendly with a couple of crew members and ask them where to catch it. The drivers do not care if you are crew or not.

It can be walked, its only a two mile hike to 17th street.

There is public transportation there.

I'm not sure for the average cruise goer, particularly on HAL, there is an "only" in front of 2 miles *grin*

It's not a good walk. There are lots of trucks there, as this is a container ports as well. And once you get past the curve around terminal 18 the sidewalks disappear. So you'll be walking on the road for parts of it. Not to mention they are doing construction on the road as well, so even that is iffy at some points. (Particularly at the intersection of Spangler & Eisenhower, which was either closed, or one skinny lane that trucks were squeezing through, last time I was there)

There are crew shuttle buses/vans that operate in Port Everglades. They will take you from the piers to the 17th street area. Get friendly with a couple of crew members and ask them where to catch it. The drivers do not care if you are crew or not.

I rode the crew shuttle last year (actually white van), the cost was $3.50 p.p. and the one I was on dropped me off in a shopping center across the street form the Embassy Suites on 17th St.