Cruise Newbie - Solo Traveller

USKiwi79

I've been living in Miami for eight years now and I've yet to go on a cruise. Thanks to NCL's new Studio rooms I can afford to travel as a solo traveller.:D

I like to research and I have found this site AMAZING and very helpful. I do have some questions that are mostly answered, but I am happy for any advice and tips.

#1 I sleep with a CPap machine with water. NCL did tell me they will supply a gallon of distilled water for me.

#2 I have a severe Tree Nut (almonds, walnuts, etc.).

#3 Security, as a single female this is important to me, for both on ship and on shore.

Thanks for any tips, ideas, advice and even funny stories. I'm excited and maybe a little too excited :D

1 and 2, I think you are right in addressing directly with the cruise line. As for security, I have traveled alone. Just be sensible. I always feel safe on the ship, but in port, I just use common sense. If traveling solo, I tend to book shore excursions throug the cruise line. You pay a little more, but there is an element of safety, and they won;t leave without you!

There are tons of resources, so happy planning!

I also would check into Carnival - they sometimes offer great rates for single guests, making it very affordable

Be sure to attend the Solo Gathering in the "Living Room" every night. The solos will gather and go down to dinner as a group, if you want to. There is also a bar in the Living Room that is staffed for a few hours in the evening and its a nice place to hang with others. There is a board there where people will invite people to join in on excursions OR if there is an interest in going to a specialty restaurant (upcharge restaurant). Often a bunch will go to the shows together and hang out at the FABBA and glow parties.

Security in the studio cabins is great, you need your key card to gain access to the studio hallway, so really only people who have cabins there should be in there.

As for excursions, you can check your roll call and see what others are doing and if they are looking to fill a van for a more private tour, or if they have booked non-cruise excursions you can see what they are doing and join in.

As for the food allergies: Please please contact the access desk BEFORE you cruise (about a month or so ahead) You should meet with senior restaurant staff to inform them, and they can go over the menus with you and you can order dinner the night before. Please come over to the Norwegian boards and post your questions about allergy accommodation because its something I don't have all the facts about, but others can help you with contact email address and general information.

Have a fantastic time!! I sailed EPIC last year from Miami and had a great time, I'm fairly shy and had no problems out of my element. :D

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Yes -- there is a special lounge for those of you sailing solo on a couple of NCL ships.

Check out the "solo" board at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

There was a thread about sailing solo -- check it out -- read post #14:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2146740&highlight=solo+cruising

I've been living in Miami for eight years now and I've yet to go on a cruise. Thanks to NCL's new Studio rooms I can afford to travel as a solo traveller.:D

I like to research and I have found this site AMAZING and very helpful. I do have some questions that are mostly answered, but I am happy for any advice and tips.

#1 I sleep with a CPap machine with water. NCL did tell me they will supply a gallon of distilled water for me.

#2 I have a severe Tree Nut (almonds, walnuts, etc.).

#3 Security, as a single female this is important to me, for both on ship and on shore.

Thanks for any tips, ideas, advice and even funny stories. I'm excited and maybe a little too excited :D

Be sure to check on other cruise line prices also. I cruise solo, and I found that the NCL studio cabins weren't always the cheapest way to go, plus the cabins are tiny.

RCI now has single cabins on some of their ships, and Carnival has a list of cruises that you don't pay a supplement. Since you are in Miami, you can probably find good pack and go deals.

I have cruised solo for several years and love it. Have fun.

Thanks for the replies. I contacted NCL and got a great reply regarding the food allergies and CPap.

I asked a police officer friend, who is an avid solo cruiser, regarding security and he reassured me and gave me the advice to watch what and how much I drink.

Now I just have to decide Western or Eastern Caribbean. Fortunately living in Miami I could do both as I'm not paying for flights and hotels.

Thanks for the replies. I contacted NCL and got a great reply regarding the food allergies and CPap.

I asked a police officer friend, who is an avid solo cruiser, regarding security and he reassured me and gave me the advice to watch what and how much I drink.

Now I just have to decide Western or Eastern Caribbean. Fortunately living in Miami I could do both as I'm not paying for flights and hotels.

or both :cool:

A CPAP machine forces air into your airway for people with Sleep Apnea. The water is for the humidifier. The humidifier is not on all machines. The water needs to be distilled. I got a reply from NCL saying they provide one gallon of distilled water for CPAP users.

If you have not been on a Caribbean cruise, either eastern or western offers interesting places to visit on a cruise. So pick a cruise that suits your budget and timeframe - in my experience every island is unique, and they are all interesting.

If you haven't joined your roll call, you really should. These folks are planning outings and excursions in your ports and can give you valuable info. As well, they may still have spaces available for activities they've organized. Plus, you will already have a group of friends when you get on board.

Have a great cruise!