Bringing Oxygen onboard

We are sailing with my parents and he requires oxygen for breathing problems. Are we allowed to bring small tank onboard? Do we need a note from doctor? Should we call or write RCCL before going so they are informed??

Thanks for help!!

Guest cruzr44
We are sailing with my parents and he requires oxygen for breathing problems. Are we allowed to bring small tank onboard? Do we need a note from doctor? Should we call or write RCCL before going so they are informed??

Thanks for help!!

Yes you need to inform them before you go. I do not believe you need a doctors note, but you can ask when you call to let them know you will be bringing oxygen aboard.

Yes you need to contact the cruise line as the couple that just sailed with us this April required oxygen and was told they would not be allowed boarding if they did not fill out papers in advance and have all the required medical docs. My friend opted instead of bringing tanks, to rent a machine that produces oxygen and has no tanks. I would ask about this from the company that you get your tanks from as I know that they had a branch in Miami. Sorry can't tell you the name but don't wait to contact the cruise line. Linda

Your TA may help, but they may not have experience with it, and therefore may not be much of a help.

Definitely call RCCL asap and ask about their policy. Do the same with your airline if you're flying to the port (the airline may provide O2, at a greatly inflated price, of course). Your parent's regular oxygen supply company may have useful info.

We flew to UK from US last year with one of my parents who required medical oxygen. Turned out the easiest and least expensive option was contacting a supplier in UK and having tanks delivered to hotel; possibly (hopefully) a similar option is available for cruise lines...

My FIL was on O2 for years before he passed away. When they traveled out here to visit us, their medical supply co had to call the TA/airlines, give the liter of O2 req. They also called a medical supply here to have equip delivered to our home. The day of travel, someone had to take him with his portable tank to the airport, wait with him at the gate (pre 9-11), the airline would board him, then give who ever drove him the portable tank to take home. We on the recieving end, already had the equip. delivered to our home, we filled a portable tank to take to the airport. Then we met the flight at the gate with a portable tank that an airline employee would take on the plane to give him while he deplaned. When their visit was finished and they were ready to fly home, we had to go again to the gate, wait for an airline employee to board him, get the airline O2 hooked up, then wait for the flight to take off. Then someone had to be at the other end with his portable tank waiting for the flight so he O2 for the way home.

This was about 6 years ago and If I'm not msitaken, the medical supply co. can contact the visiting city and set up your requests. And yes, my FIL needed a DR's note...maybe it was just his Dr. or his medical condition ??? (CHF)

It was worth it to see him travel and enjoy some of our warm winter weather from a cold winter in IL. :)

This site has generic information regarding cruising with O2. http://www.treat-copd.com/cruisingbysea.html

You CAN travel by air with oxygen, but you must contact the airline and have them provide the O2 and tanks. You are not allowed to bring your own canisters on any aircraft as it is a fire / explosion hazard (Valujet).

http://www.homeoxygen.org/airtrav.html

We rented a concentrator and small Helios pack from CareVacations.com. They had everything onboard and ready. They also met us at the airport with a tank and extra tanks for our pre-cruise stay. We did contact the airlines and used their tanks. You can not take your own on the airlines. The airlines charge for each leg of the trip. It was $60 per leg in 2000. Did have a bunch of paperwork from the doctors to send to Carnival. Very pleased with CareVacations.

Becky

Several years ago, after two bouts of pneumonia, my husband (who suffers from emphysema) was on oxygen for an extended period. We had to arrange with the airline to have an oxygen tank available for him on board as well as with the cruiseline for oxygen in the cabin - and this was pre-9/11. I'm not sure if he would have been allowed to bring his own oxygen on the ship, but we were flying and definitely could not bring it on the plane. All of this was arranged through our travel agent.

Archived