Laptop to TV help

QMC(SW)

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on 26 January. We sailed on her before, in November, and I was unable to hook my laptop to the computer because there was no HDMI connection on the TV.

Anybody had any experience with this, and what do I need? Thanks!

USS Hoist ARS-40

USS Nashville LPD-13

USS Guam LPH-9

USS Saratoga CV-60

RCCL Majesty of the Seas 3/09

Carnival Inspiration 12/09

Norwegian Pearl 12/10

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 1/12

RCCL Majesty of the Seas 10/12 (Disembarked after a delay in sailing and port visit cancellations because of Hurricane Sandy) :(

RCCL Jewel of the Seas 1/13

Norwegian Epic 4/14 Trans-Atlantic

Caribbean Princess 11/14

In defense of our "Junior Cruiser" status on Cruise Critic! :D

To the best of my memory, the TV connctions are hardwired, and there's no user-accessible ports at all. If there is a USB in, you could watch slide shows but not streaming video. And I strongly doubt Princess is going to want (or make it easy for) passengers messing around with their TVs. But maybe someone else knows better?

The TV's on the Caribbean Princess are still the old style tube type sets and can be connected via HDMI or RGB cables. You have full functional choice of the input with the remote although the TV is very slow to react to any commands like even changing volume. Frustrating even to change channels. :(

You can see it's not dusted to often. :D

DSC09979%20TV%20800x600_zpsetggjvhc.jpg

DSC09866%20TV%20800x600_zpsqdwmljhl.jpg

DSC09865%20TV%20800x600_zpsmhzcakt4.jpg

DSC09862%20TV%20800x600_zpstqhgjaio.jpg

Hmmmm... I was onboard Caribbean Princess in December 2013 and my inside cabin had an LCD flat panel TV. It had an HDMI port in the back. Took a bit of doing to hook up the cable, but I was able to watch movies from my laptop.

There appears to be different AV input options on that TV shown.

Would a VGA to VGA work - assuming there is a VGA output on the laptop ?

The output of my WD-TV unit has an output that can be plugged into with cables to match anything the TV's on the ship have including a separate cat5 output.

I didn't try the VGA on the Caribbean Princess but I did have the cable in case they didn't have an HDMI input. I have been on some of their ships that didn't have an HDMI input (forget which one- maybe the Grand?) and utilized the VGA but the volume wasn't nearly as loud for some reason ?? - but it did work.

That's why I always bring cables for any possibility, now including a cat5 extender connector to connect to the existing inputs on the Royal & Regal that you can neither reach or change the HDMI input on those TV's. (but you can unplug their wall cable & connect your cat5 cable to it- but that's another situation.)

There appears to be different AV input options on that TV shown.

Would a VGA to VGA work - assuming there is a VGA output on the laptop ?

VGA to VGA would work, but you'd need an audio cable (male to male) as well for sound. Only HDMI carries both image and sound.

Hmmmm... I was onboard Caribbean Princess in December 2013 and my inside cabin had an LCD flat panel TV. It had an HDMI port in the back. Took a bit of doing to hook up the cable, but I was able to watch movies from my laptop.

You are on a cruise. Why would you want to sit in your room and watch movies?

DON

Don't see a DVI anywhere :confused:

I'm assuming your laptop has a hdmi output, as you are looking for a hdmi input.

DSC0986620TV20800x600_zps36daa169.jpg

circled is the HDMI or DVI input

a>

cable needed if you have HDMI output

there are also VGA to HDMI adapters too

I used the similar method on the CB last September

Edited by M4dC0w

I'm assuming your laptop has a hdmi output, as you are looking for a hdmi input.

DSC0986620TV20800x600_zps36daa169.jpg

circled is the HDMI or DVI input

a>

cable needed if you have HDMI output

there are also VGA to HDMI adapters too

I used the similar method on the CB last September

That blue plug is VGA, not DVI. The difference being digital signal and a few extra pins on DVI, among some other small things. You can convert DVI to HDMI, yes, but, you'll lose the carried audio of course.

The plug to the top left of that is HDMI, yes. They make a myriad of converters for this stuff. Monoprice.com has an excellent selection and is an awesome company for stuff like this. Some newer laptops have mini display port or mini dvi outputs, so you'll have to get the appropriate connector. They're usually only a few bucks on that site I just mentioned, plus shipping of course, so you can pick up a few for nearly any scenario. Small cables travel well :)

The catch will be if Princess, or any other cruise line, like many hotels have done, have blocked out the ability to change inputs to the PC (VGA) or other spare inputs. We stayed in a Westin recently that did that. Was fairly annoying.

Edited by tbonecopper

You are on a cruise. Why would you want to sit in your room and watch movies?

DON

Unless there's something going on besides bingo, shopping talks, fruit carving, drink mixing I choose to sit by the pool or elsewhere during the day & relax watching movies on my tablet that I don't have time to spend watching at home.

Also because after dinner, main show and possibly walking around checking out the buffet or other entertainment on the ship (which is getting very limited lately) you arrive back at the room only to find a movie that you may have wanted to see playing from the middle.

Quite annoying to say the least & I won't start watching a movie if the movie has begun for 10 minutes. If Princess had first run movies it might be a different story but anything they do show for the most part has already hit the DVD market so why not watch the same movie on my schedule......also there are loads of movies that Princess will never consider showing because of various reasons.

The catch will be if Princess, or any other cruise line, like many hotels have done, have blocked out the ability to change inputs to the PC (VGA) or other spare inputs. We stayed in a Westin recently that did that. Was fairly annoying.

On the Royal they of course have the newer on demand selections which worked out pretty good & at the time. Someone posted that they had Viewsonic TV's in the cabins & they very well might in some cabins (the crew does)and although you can't switch their input to the TV you can reach and unplug their HDMI cable very easily & use that input but only on the Viewsonics.

I was all ready to switch inputs but as it turned out the passenger cabins mostly have Samsung TV's and their fed my a cat5 input cable.:confused: Even if you could plug your HDMI cable in it couldn't be switched BUT their cat5 cable coming out of the wall can be disconnected & you could mult your own cat5 cable to their cable at that point. Unfortunately & wasn't prepared for that setup.

I've never see a TV fed by an Ethernet cable before.

Unless there's something going on besides bingo, shopping talks, fruit carving, drink mixing I choose to sit by the pool or elsewhere during the day & relax watching movies on my tablet that I don't have time to spend watching at home.

I don't even understand the question you're responding to.

How someone chooses to spend their time on a cruise is hardly

any of my business.

It does seem with Princess TVs that you have to be prepared for

any connection, and even then it's possible it won't work.

I don't even understand the question you're responding to.

How someone chooses to spend their time on a cruise is hardly

any of my business.

It does seem with Princess TVs that you have to be prepared for

any connection, and even then it's possible it won't work.

Some people like to sleep at the pool, some drink, some read and some just watch others- it's your choice. After so many cruises it get impossible to find something new & exciting to do each & every day. I guess I could sit there & watch the morning show on MUTS after my morning walk. :eek: