River cruise insurance

reps23

My husband (68) and I (66) will be taking a river cruise from Paris to Prague in May. Medicare does not cover medical insurance in Europe. Our Blue Cross Blue Shield policy will cover 80% of medical payments in Europe. We paid for our trip on our Mileage Plus Explorer visa card which covers up to $10,000 for each in cancellation and trip interruption insurance. We used mileage for our plane tickets.

I was thinking of only purchasing Medical Evacuation Insurance. Would appreciate any thoughts you may have on this idea.

We don't have Medicare yet, but we do have BC/BS, and I used GeoBlue Voyager to cover any medical expenses that our BC/BS would not pay on our river cruise last year. I didn't have to file a claim, but their enrollment process was very easy. They sent a blank claim form in case it was needed and also a really nice list of their approved physicians and hospitals in every city and country we traveled to.

https://geobluetravelinsurance.com/

Edited by Suzanne123

My husband (68) and I (66) will be taking a river cruise from Paris to Prague in May. Medicare does not cover medical insurance in Europe. Our Blue Cross Blue Shield policy will cover 80% of medical payments in Europe. We paid for our trip on our Mileage Plus Explorer visa card which covers up to $10,000 for each in cancellation and trip interruption insurance. We used mileage for our plane tickets.

I was thinking of only purchasing Medical Evacuation Insurance. Would appreciate any thoughts you may have on this idea.

Just know that it's not a question of just handing over your BC/BS card when receiving medical care as you do here in the States.

You will be required to pay out of pocket and then you file for reimbursement from BC/BS when you return to the States.

I'm not sure that is always the case. Maybe I am missing something, but this is from their web site:

GeoBlue has an elite network of doctors from most every specialty ready to see you in over 180 countries. Only a small fraction of doctors around the world meet GeoBlue’s exacting standards—participation is by invitation only. We seek out professionals certified by the American or Royal Board of Medical Specialties who speak English, and we factor in recommendations by over 158 Physician Advisors from all over the world.

We assemble in-depth provider profiles so our members can choose with confidence, and we put formal contracts in place to ensure preferred patient access. GeoBlue doctors and hospitals bill us directly so you don’t have to worry about filing a claim.