Chair Hogs Rule

Scotchick

On several cruises my wife and her sister and I have wanted a table in the buffet. We were not able to find one because people had left items either on the table or chairs and had then gone to the line. I use a walker, and cannot stand for long. We have moved items to the floor and sat down with our trays. The waiters have found another place for the items. Yes, people get upset when they come back, but too bad. Dining tables are not storage areas.

That's not cool at all, especially if they were in line to get their food. One of us usually sits at the table and waits for the other to come back - just to avoid situations like that, although I admit I have never witnessed anyone doing that, thankfully.

Edited by SissasMomE

its real simple - I take my crap - leave it by the edge of the pool or someplace - swim and frolic - and when I am done if I see a chair that's not being sat it after a while - I sit in it -

I have NEVER been told that's my chair - as the chair hogs know what they did was wrong and the will not make a issue -

Not sure if there is official wording, doesn't matter as the staff will never enforce it at the risk of offending a customer....

Soooooo true!!!

I was on the Epic last week went on deck to get coffee and there was a couple that were taking the lounge chairs and setting them up themselves. Watched them save 10 chairs.

Back to cabin then breakfast and back to deck 2 hrs later and THE CHAIR HOGS still weren't back.

Gotta live ME first peeps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have NEVER been told that's my chair - as the chair hogs know what they did was wrong and the will not make a issue -

Umm, not always (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2096222). I guess "issue" is up to interpretation. The poster certainly chose not to make an issue (and has my ultimate respect for his choice). Obviously, telling someone "it's my chair" doesn't have to be verbal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Rhea98

On several cruises my wife and her sister and I have wanted a table in the buffet. We were not able to find one because people had left items either on the table or chairs and had then gone to the line. I use a walker, and cannot stand for long. We have moved items to the floor and sat down with our trays. The waiters have found another place for the items. Yes, people get upset when they come back, but too bad. Dining tables are not storage areas.

This is incredibly rude! Since you use a walker, feel free to sit down in one of my chairs in the buffet until your other family members can find an empty table, but please do not remove my items. I sail solo and always eat breakfast and dinner in the MDR. At lunchtime, I am usually in the pool area, so I take my towel, hat, sunglasses, lotion, bag, etc. and find a table (two-top) in the buffet area and then get in line for my lunch. I would find it very difficult to do this carrying all of my items that I used on the pool deck. Please be more considerate.

This is incredibly rude! Since you use a walker, feel free to sit down in one of my chairs in the buffet until your other family members can find an empty table, but please do not remove my items. I sail solo and always eat breakfast and dinner in the MDR. At lunchtime, I am usually in the pool area, so I take my towel, hat, sunglasses, lotion, bag, etc. and find a table (two-top) in the buffet area and then get in line for my lunch. I would find it very difficult to do this carrying all of my items that I used on the pool deck. Please be more considerate.

Agree with you 100%. Like I said, usually one of us stays with the table, but there is NO reason to remove someone's belongings when they are in line to get their food. None. Beyond rude.

Agree with you 100%. Like I said, usually one of us stays with the table, but there is NO reason to remove someone's belongings when they are in line to get their food. None. Beyond rude.

I agree with you 100% too... I consider the situation at the buffet to be very different from the deck chair and lounger hogs by the pools.

Odds are that no one is saving a table for themselves all day in the buffet by leaving their stuff there (let alone getting up at 7AM to do it). Once they get their food, come back and are done eating, most people leave and don't linger all day. Moving someone's stuff from the table in the buffets is simply unacceptable.

On Breakaway in June, we monitored a set of chairs near the pool for about an hour that only had used towels on them. No one returned and we asked the people sitting next to them if they saw anyone there recently; they said no. We removed the towels and set up shop. 15 minutes later, a family came over and started to argue with us that we were in their chairs. We nicely said that the pool attendant said no one was there for over an hour so he removed the towels (a lie about the attendant but whatever). They continued to argue with us and then stole 2 of our towels right from our chairs since they take your cabin numbers down when you get towels and you're supposed to return them or be charged (I don't think they ever really charge). I wasn't planning on getting into a fist fight so just declared them slobs and grabbed new towels. Pathetic!

I have no problem with people getting up early and nabbing a bed at the pool, as long as they don't leave it for hours on end whilst other people are looking for a bed. My husband and I will even split up and go for lunch on our own in order to keep our beds by the pool or else we take our towels and completely vacate the bed and go for lunch together. We can always find another bed even on another deck. I also think that people who don't arrive at the pool until 11 or 12 in the day have totally unreasonable expectations of securing a bed in a prime spot at that time of day. It doesn't work like that!:p:p:p

I also think it's rude to remove a person's belongings at a dining table. How do you know that they hadn't been sitting there well before you arrived and hadn't just gotten up to get more food? The crew cleans the table pretty well at times, even taking empty cups and silverware, so personal belongings might be all that remains after that. I wouldn't be happy to come back with my food and find you had moved my things so you could sit down wherever you pleased.

Rude is setting your belongings down and leaving, period. If someone in the party waits while others are in line, that is fine by me. But how in the heck does anyone else know they are in line? If you are solo and expect to hold an entire table, then too bad. Don't bring more than you can handle.

Edited by rbrugler

rude is setting your belongings down and leaving, period. If someone in the party waits while others are in line, that is fine by me. But how in the heck does anyone else know they are in line? If you are solo and expect to hold an entire table, then too bad. Don't bring more than you can handle.

wow ! Here is a idea why don't you wait outside or wherever in a chair, have your sister and sister-in-law go into the buffet find a table one if them sits down and the other comes and gets you ? That way you are not taking someones table, the buffet is not the pool people don't reserve tables in the buffet, the chances that someone is chair hogging at the buffet are probably less than 1%

Edited by dgparent

And I make it a POINT of asking if I can play that machine. Drives me nuts and easy to move their F_T as_es.

garycarla

-

I have been having the WORST DAY.

You made it much better with this comment.

Now..to clean up the diet coke that I spit on my desk,.........

Thank you

AM

I would agree that the buffet table situation is much different than the deck loungers. Most people may have just gotten up to get another plate of food, then they come back, and their table has been taken. I know that would make me quite unhappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rude is setting your belongings down and leaving, period. If someone in the party waits while others are in line, that is fine by me. But how in the heck does anyone else know they are in line? If you are solo and expect to hold an entire table, then too bad. Don't bring more than you can handle.

Nobody leaves belongings at a buffet table while they shop, hang out at the bar, or play basketball, like they do with pool loungers. If a persons personal belongings are at a table, it's because they got up to get their food.

Instead of hijacking a persons table, perhaps you could ask a buffet staff member if they can help you locate a table. Turn over is fairly quick, and I'm sure they will able to help you locate one.

Nobody leaves belongings at a buffet table while they shop, hang out at the bar, or play basketball, like they do with pool loungers. If a persons personal belongings are at a table, it's because they got up to get their food.

Instead of hijacking a persons table, perhaps you could ask a buffet staff member if they can help you locate a table. Turn over is fairly quick, and I'm sure they will able to help you locate one.

Real good answer. Pse use common sense folks!!!

Of course they are in line.

If I come in to the buffet, I'm putting my book and my water bottle down on the table. Since there aren't trays I need my hands free to carry my plates.

Edited by ColinIllinois

There are also designated tables for people with handicaps.

Not sure if there is official wording, doesn't matter as the staff will never enforce it at the risk of offending a customer....

This is what I don't understand, why does NCL think that it is not ok to offend the rule breakers (the chair hogs) but perfectly fine to offend those that follow the rules by not dealing with the chair hogs?

Lois

This is what I don't understand, why does NCL think that it is not ok to offend the rule breakers (the chair hogs) but perfectly fine to offend those that follow the rules by not dealing with the chair hogs?

Lois

Because nobody actually goes and lobbies NCL to do something about the chair hogs. We all need to speak up about this and let them know how much this bothers us. There are a few cruise lines who actually enforce the no chair hogging rule and keep a list of unused chairs with belongings and no bodies on them and I have seen this and it WORKS. These people who do this are extremely rude, ignorant and selfish people and quite simply we should not allow them to get away with it. So speak up people! I have done in the past and will continue to do so.