Buy On-Board or Pre-Departure?

soxfan2013

Don't the onboard discounts apply to aLL speciality restaurants? If I'm correct, then the nights they are offering 20% off will make it cheaper to book on board (and we've encountered discounts as high as 50% on the older ships if you negotiate with the right person).

Don't the onboard discounts apply to aLL speciality restaurants? If I'm correct, then the nights they are offering 20% off will make it cheaper to book on board (and we've encountered discounts as high as 50% on the older ships if you negotiate with the right person).

I know there are some people that really love negotiating for a better price. I prefer not going through the negotiating process, but at the same time, not paying more than other people in the restaurant. When you mention finding the right person to negotiate with, do you mean, he offers you 25% off and after back and forth you agree on 50% off? I was hoping for a less confrontational approach. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We have found that when the specialty restaurant folks are roaming the ship looking for "sign-ups", all you need to say is; "what kind of price are you offering, today." They will usually respond with a discount of a substantial amount. No need to "work" them to lower it to the smallest number, unless you like that sort of thing.

We have found that when the specialty restaurant folks are roaming the ship looking for "sign-ups", all you need to say is; "what kind of price are you offering, today." They will usually respond with a discount of a substantial amount. No need to "work" them to lower it to the smallest number, unless you like that sort of thing.

Correct

In our experience dealing with the Specialty Restaurant promo people, those that choose not to negotiate can expect to pay more.

Correct again.

Edited by jkgourmet

I booked a couple of specialty restaurant meals in advance for our upcoming cruise, and it appears I'll have saved $5 each, a whopping ten percent. I did it to have it set up. Negotiating to save even $20 -- really? Get over it, you're going to be on vacation, you'll spend a few bucks more or less, just relax.

...... Negotiating to save even $20 -- really? Get over it, you're going to be on vacation, you'll spend a few bucks more or less, just relax.

If someone can save $20.00 then why not go for it? Yes people are on vacation, but that gives them an extra $20.00 to spend elsewhere. Absolutely nothing wrong with asking for a lower price.

I booked a couple of specialty restaurant meals in advance for our upcoming cruise, and it appears I'll have saved $5 each, a whopping ten percent. I did it to have it set up. Negotiating to save even $20 -- really? Get over it, you're going to be on vacation, you'll spend a few bucks more or less, just relax.

Spoken by someone who always books suites, no doubt.

Some people relax by not having set reservations in advance, preferring to be "on vacation". Some people prefer to save the money and skip speciality dining entirely (particularly on Celebrity where the MDR food is very good.) And for some people saving ten or twenty bucks DOES make a difference (like those extra tips the staff sometimes receive from passengers.)

You should "get over it".

Sent from my LG-D851 using Forums mobile app