Melbourne Shuttle Bus

TERRIER1

"By Tram: One of Melbourne's famous city tram routes has a terminal at Port a five-minute walk from Station Pier. Stations and trams have onboard coin-operated ticket machines (usually no conductors) for buying one-way tickets, roundtrips and Myki cards (a debit card that you can replenish as needed) for tram and bus travel. ... The ride from Port Melbourne to the city center takes 20 minutes, and once there, lots of the best sites are within walking distance. "

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=223

"By Tram: One of Melbourne's famous city tram routes has a terminal at Port a five-minute walk from Station Pier. Stations and trams have onboard coin-operated ticket machines (usually no conductors) for buying one-way tickets, roundtrips and Myki cards (a debit card that you can replenish as needed) for tram and bus travel. ... The ride from Port Melbourne to the city center takes 20 minutes, and once there, lots of the best sites are within walking distance. "

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=223

We took the tram into Melbourne and then took the FREE city bus around the city and back to the tram. Good connections. Unfortunately, the day we were there the temperature was 41 Celsius -- or about 111F. But Melbourne is a great city!!

We took the tram into Melbourne and then took the FREE city bus around the city and back to the tram. Good connections. Unfortunately, the day we were there the temperature was 41 Celsius -- or about 111F. But Melbourne is a great city!!

I would melt at that temp. Did you have to purchase a Myki card to get on the tram?

I remember purchasing a card inside the terminal that gave me access to the tram and other buses. We went into town, caught the HOHO bus, toured with it, then got off and wandered to see what we really wanted to view. Easy to navigate and if you get too hot, lots of stores to pop into to just get cooled off.:D

Does anyone know if Oceania runs a shuttle bus from the Port of Melbourne to the city center? Thanks.

The ship docks at a terminal where you buy tram tickets for whatever period you need.

It is then an easy stroll of a few hundred metres/yards to the tram terminus.

The trams run to the city centre. I suppose it is subjective as to what is the city centre but Melbourne has a core like every other major city

Great way to get around as they run frequently :)

Melbourne Australia does indeed have a centre . The CBD is called the Golden Mile and is bounded by Spencer, Victoria, Spring, and Flinders Streets .

To get to the CBD from the Station pier at Port Melbourne Public Transport Victoria (when cruise boats are in port) provides staff in the Cruise terminal who sell the MYKI and welcome package . From the head of the pier the # 108 tram goes to the heart of the city up Collins Street . Alight at Southern Cross station in Spencer St for Royal Melbourne Zoo (take UPFIELD train and alight at Royal Park). Further up Collins St alight at Elizabeth St for CBD shopping, Swanston St for the Town Hall and Federation Square (2 blocks walk), at Spring St for Parlaiment house & Treasury building.

City Circle tram FREE (maroon in colour) in both directions in Spring, Spencer and Flinders Street .

National Gallery - Australian collection at Federation Square on Flinders St, International collection at Arts Centre on St Kilda Road just across the river from Flinders Street station . Admission to both galleries is FREE.

To get back to Station Pier take any # 108 PORT MELBOURNE tram from any stop along the length of Collins St .

Edited by kuldalai

Just to add to the above:

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/events/public-transport-during-the-cruise-ship-season

This website has all the information you will need.

I believe Myki Visitors Packs are available for purchase in the Cruise Terminal and there are staff and volunteers from the City of Melbourne who will be able to assist at the Information Desk in the Terminal.

Would definitely say Federation Square and Flinders Street Station are the centre of our City as well the latter being a "meeting place" for as long as I can remember.

Edited by Mumofnine

Just to add to the above:

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/events/public-transport-during-the-cruise-ship-season

This website has all the information you will need.

I believe Myki Visitors Packs are available for purchase in the Cruise Terminal and there are staff and volunteers from the City of Melbourne who will be able to assist at the Information Desk in the Terminal.

Would definitely say Federation Square and Flinders Street Station are the centre of our City as well the latter being a "meeting place" for as long as I can remember.

Thanks so much for all the information.