Changes to the Viking Star Maiden Voyage itinerary

PopsA

Leo, Thanks for doing the math :-) I found out about the MyJourney site last week on CC - very informative. Posts here on CC have offered much more than Viking though. But, I think people here on CC are more of an exception when it comes to researching ahead of time. Based on previous experience a lot of fellow passengers do little more ahead of time than just pack.

I did a duplicate post here and on the Western Passage Roll Call thread. Hopscotching back and forth I see I'm not the only one who got an email on compensation. I hope there is more to follow.

Leo,

Barry and I were always planning to see Flam on our own after B2B with the Norway in a Nutshell tour. I put some info on it on the Western Passage Roll call thread. I know it's not the same as getting what you already paid for, but maybe it will work for you.

Renee

We received written notification yesterday of the changes to our itinerary. We are booked on the Barcelona to Bergen leg of the maiden voyage and I did call into customer service last week to request action based on what I was reading here on CC.

The change, as described to us, is the loss of the second day each for Paris (Rouen), and London (Greenwich). The reason given is tidal flow.

We are being offered two options: a $400 shipboard credit for my wife and a $400 shipboard credit for me. Or a voucher equal to 25% of what we paid for this cruise that is redeemable on either Viking River or Ocean that must be used toward a reservation by one year from the date of issue.

There is a 10 day time limit to make the decision. Do nothing and we will receive the voucher for a future cruise. We are leaning heavily toward the voucher given Viking River is also an option.

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Brian,

This was an easy choice for us. We took the voucher - quite a sizable sum as we are on the 50-day maiden cruise. Much better than shipboard credit. Our TA has booked us on Viking Rivers Egypt trip in November. A few years ago, our Egypt trip was canceled when the revolution took place in Cairo. We're glad to be going to see the ancient wonders.

Edited by Love2Sew

Love2sew, we were in Cairo & Alexandria on Holland America just this past Oct.

Alexandria was okay, however Cairo was pretty dicey......I am not sure where you will be on the Egypt trip. That said, the pyramids were an amazing experience.

We are going to take the voucher as well. We will decide rivers vs oceans after this trip - we know from experience that Rivers is a great organization.

Hi Renee,

We talked to our TA about using the voucher toward the Viking River cruise BEFORE we booked it. He checked with Viking and they assured him that the voucher amount will be applied before full payment is due in April.

Carol

Hi Brian,

This was an easy choice for us. We took the voucher - quite a sizable sum as we are on the 50-day maiden cruise. Much better than shipboard credit. Our TA has booked us on Viking Rivers Egypt trip in November. A few years ago, our Egypt trip was canceled when the revolution took place in Cairo. We're glad to be going to see the ancient wonders.

Hi Carol,

Wendy and I agree, even with one segment the sum is far more sizable than the shipboard credit. And even if Viking Ocean does a terrible job, we will take another river cruise.

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 1 month later...

Those of us on cruises later in 2015 are looking forward to you keeping us posted on daily activities and shipboard life. We are another couple who took a leap of faith based on our experience with Viking River. We expected there would be some growing pains and glitches but the roll out has been experiencing more problems than we expected to see. Terry

Those of us on cruises later in 2015 are looking forward to you keeping us posted on daily activities and shipboard life. We are another couple who took a leap of faith based on our experience with Viking River. We expected there would be some growing pains and glitches but the roll out has been experiencing more problems than we expected to see. Terry

True, there have been many problems with the maiden voyage. The itinerary changes have certainly been the biggest and most impactful of them. But, so far, Viking has been proactive and tried to provide an acceptable level of compensation for the snafu that could have certainly created unhappy passengers even before we set sail.

There hasn't been a lot of information about the ship itself, and it doesn't seem that Customer Service knows much about the Star either. There have been quite a few changes to the excursions and the Spa prices. Some passengers have know ended up with substantial shipboard credits without the ability to use them as they wish.

We've been figuring out, on our own, our cruise will run into several major holidays, a marathon, and the Star's christening, all limiting our activities. A lot about our cruise still remains a mystery but we keep soldiering on.

As a group we have digested all of these issues and while the occasional pitch fork and torch has come out, in the end spirits are high and generally we expect to have a wonderful maiden cruise.

How have we weathered the rough seas that have brought us here? Credit goes to Cruise Critic and our ability to communicate through each issue. None of us have felt alone because of our ability to share what we were, and are, dealing with here in the Viking Oceans forums. Resolution for one has usually meant resolution for all.

I really give credit to the leaders of the pre-cruise party. The 50 Day Crazies have taken the bull by the horns and not been shy about calling out issues and then solving them. They have also exhibited outstanding positive attitude which is infectious. That is critical because a negative and defeated attitude is far easier to spread than a positive one. And the 50 Dayers are leading the way, if they go negative so could many others.

It has been Elizabeth and the under the sea guy John who have kept plugging away. They haven't been tripped up once by an issue and they keep moving forward with planning for a great cruise. And when Viking falls a little short, excursions for example, they find their own way with private tours that will make for a better experience.

I for one will share our experience during and after the cruise. My wife, Wendy, and I are on the Passage Through Western Europe leg. But I can already tell you that I'm confident that we will have a wonderful time meeting and spending time with the numerous new friends I've met here before we even set sail. Having the right attitude goes a long way to ensuring a great vacation. There will always be issues, how we respond determines the outcome.

Brian, that was so well written - and spot on! I completely agree with you. We have had our challenges, but my DH and I are getting so excited for this journey. In spite of all that has gone on, I truly believe it will be a wonderful experience. We don't have 50 days, but we are excited about our 29 - in spite of the marathon at the end!!! :-).

Btw -according to the marathon organizers (I reached out to them directly), they will not begin closing down the streets to vehicles until 11:30 that morning (5/30). With a race start time of noon.......not so sure I will count on that timing.

The 50 day crazies have my undying gratitude for all they have done, are doing and have yet to do for those of us who will follow in your footsteps. Yes it does seem that Viking Star corporate staff is listening and is reacting to problems as they crop up. Looking forward to future progress reports and I feel there will be a lot of "accentuate the positive" feedback which is fine by me. Looking forward to our November cruise being "smooth sailing" thanks to the crazy 50's. Terry and Mary

Thanks for your kind words - and let's not forget Leo (algeas) and his wonderful charts. He's kept on top of things too for us. And Judy Smith (pacquebot) for a whole bunch of other private tours on the first leg. I think we should all pat ourselves on the back actually - for adding whatever we can for information sharing and positive reinforcement. This has been a great group. Can't wait for our meet and greet so we can actually put faces to names (and CC handles)!

I was planning on putting up a thread titled "Live from the Viking Star Maiden Cruise" here on this board. All of us on the maiden cruise, whether 50-day crazies or those who only get to be on board for one leg, can post their experiences, thoughts, and maybe even the odd picture. Sure would be nice to know what this thing actually looks like, wouldn't it! Can't believe Viking hasn't done so already. I won't put the "Live" thread up until a day or so before the cruise actually begins.

Thanks everyone! Elizabeth

Thanks for your kind words - and let's not forget Leo (algeas) and his wonderful charts. He's kept on top of things too for us. And Judy Smith (pacquebot) for a whole bunch of other private tours on the first leg. I think we should all pat ourselves on the back actually - for adding whatever we can for information sharing and positive reinforcement. This has been a great group. Can't wait for our meet and greet so we can actually put faces to names (and CC handles)!

I was planning on putting up a thread titled "Live from the Viking Star Maiden Cruise" here on this board. All of us on the maiden cruise, whether 50-day crazies or those who only get to be on board for one leg, can post their experiences, thoughts, and maybe even the odd picture. Sure would be nice to know what this thing actually looks like, wouldn't it! Can't believe Viking hasn't done so already. I won't put the "Live" thread up until a day or so before the cruise actually begins.

Thanks everyone! Elizabeth

As upcoming 2016 50 day crazies we are very grateful for the insights you have all provided before this most exciting cruise. We hope you all have a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoy this amazing experience.

We will all be looking forward to hearing about the beginning in Istanbul and seeing real photos of the ship and listening to the experiences you have.

We would like to thank you all for the tips for private excursions that have been provided by several people. This has made our planning a lot more focused about where we can plan to visit next year.

I am also interested to hear about where the ship will be boarded so we can plan where to book our hotel. Any tips would be appreciated.

Have a blast!!!

Christine and David

• 1 month later...

Just returned from the Maiden voyage segment Istanbul to Venice on Viking Star. Plenty of hiccups but somewhat expected this being their inaugural cruise. Entertainment was limited and what made it less desirable were the venues (for example the atrium and Torshavn) limited the number of people that could attend.

Food was very good but in the restaurant very very slow service, so in turn we spent most of our dinner time upstairs in the World Cafe.

TV's had very very limited service and lots and lots of technical problems.

The ship is just gorgeous. The spa and fitness center beautiful however $75 for a simple manicure is quite high. Staff very helpful but seemed confused at times.

Tours good however with the limited amount of only 6 lifeboats on board that are also used as tenders -times can be somewhat slow.

Bathrooms fantastic!

Number of passengers determine quantity of lifeboats/tenders.

Tenders being used always prevent rapid off-loading of passengers.

I'm still waiting for coffee in the Restaurant I ordered the second day.

(First paying passenger on board)