Whale watching in Victoria or Juneau?

niklynn1

I'm trying to decide upon excursions for our first time to Alaska. There are so many options it's difficult to decide!

The White Pass Railroad, Mendenhall Glacier tour, Musher Camp and whale watching are all things we're considering.... So many possibilities and so little time!

The one thing my son requested was whale watching. I'm trying to decide between Juneau and Victoria for this? The Mendenhall Glacier/Whale Watching in Juneau sounds superb, but if we do whale watching in Victoria instead (where there seems to be fewer options that appeal to us) we could use Juneau time for something else.

However, a disappointing whale watching experience in Victoria would defeat the whole purpose. The overview on RCL's site states that in Juneau you are "guaranteed" to see whales or you get $100 credit. The Victoria description says "Whales sitings not guaranteed". This alone makes me think the Victoria whale watching is not as ideal.

Anyone have experience or advice on this matter?

These tours are about 2 different, whale watch viewing. Victoria is the southern resident orcas, Juneau is humpbacks, with 10/20% chance of orcas. Juneau is 100% sightings no matter who you go with. Sighting stats out of Victoria are lower, and if you have one of the short port times then you will have to go with a ship contractor- which will be a shorter tour. Problem will be the whales will have to be within closer range.

These tours are about 2 different, whale watch viewing. Victoria is the southern resident orcas, Juneau is humpbacks, with 10/20% chance of orcas. Juneau is 100% sightings no matter who you go with. Sighting stats out of Victoria are lower, and if you have one of the short port times then you will have to go with a ship contractor- which will be a shorter tour. Problem will be the whales will have to be within closer range.

According the itinerary, we are scheduled to be in Victoria from 9a-6p, and in Juneau from noon to 9p. The Victoria tour is listed as lasting 3.5 hours. and the Juneau one that includes a visit to Mendenhall Glacier is listed as 5.5, so all in all, probably similar amounts of time actually whale watching?

The White Pass Railroad, Mendenhall Glacier tour, Musher Camp and whale watching are all things we're considering.... So many possibilities and so little time!

The one thing my son requested was whale watching. I'm trying to decide between Juneau and Victoria for this? The Mendenhall Glacier/Whale Watching in Juneau sounds superb, but if we do whale watching in Victoria instead (where there seems to be fewer options that appeal to us) we could use Juneau time for something else.

Hmm...

Edited by xlxo

According the itinerary, we are scheduled to be in Victoria from 9a-6p, and in Juneau from noon to 9p. The Victoria tour is listed as lasting 3.5 hours. and the Juneau one that includes a visit to Mendenhall Glacier is listed as 5.5, so all in all, probably similar amounts of time actually whale watching?

That's a great port time in Victoria, I would NOT be booking with the ship contractor, if that is what your reference is? I would be booking independent and going out with a vendor of my choice. I just about always go out on a zodiac as being on the water level, really is fantastic with orcas.

Edited by Budget Queen

That's a great port time in Victoria, I would NOT be booking with the ship contractor, if that is what your reference is? I would be booking independent and going out with a vendor of my choice. I just about always go out on a zodiac as being on the water level, really is fantastic with orcas.

Budget Queen, I'm not sure what a "zodiac" is, but I'd love to hear your suggestions for a tour company to contact in Victoria? It sounds like you are knowledgeable on this subject. :-)

Budget Queen, I'm not sure what a "zodiac" is, but I'd love to hear your suggestions for a tour company to contact in Victoria? It sounds like you are knowledgeable on this subject. :-)

I have gone with Prince of Whales and Orca Spirit last year. My favorite vendor, which I used for years, wasn't operating this year. :(

Zodiacs are a type of inflatable boat, quite popular for whale watching as they are among the fastest and safest types of small vessels. The core hull is rigid with inflatable parts surrounding it, so you get a stable platform for sitting/standing in.

Downsides - they're usually open-topped (but you get supplied with 'polar bear suits' to keep warm, as well as keep you afloat if you fall into the water) and while they are good at sliding over the top of waves rather than cutting through them like deeper-draught vessels, they feel jerkier as they hit the wavecrests (you're trading off against the constant but usually-smooth rolling motion of traditional hulls). Some people describe it as something akin to the movements of a motion ride at Disney, and it's not recommended if you have back problems.

Upsides - they can reach whales further out than the slower boats can, so you are more likely to see Orcas on a zodiac tour. Being low to the water makes it feel even faster - young 'uns tend to love it. If you can handle the motion, it's just plain more FUN! If you get a close breach it's even more spectacular than on a traditional boat.

Personally I would always choose a zodiac over a traditional boat out of Victoria - I've only used Prince of Whales.

If you look at the PoW video...

You can see the zodiac. Things to consider...

• are you willing to wear a survival suit for the zodiac trip. A traditional boat has life jackets for emergencies.
  • How long is the trip? Are you going to have too much wind, sun or rain as there is no roof enclosure.
  • I think Victoria and Vancouver have to travel greater distances to the find the whales in the San Juan. My Ketchikan found whales in about 15-20 minutes in the channel.
  • as you are closer to the water..... your camera would be more vulnerable to splashing water.
  • Prince of Whales offers both boat types.

Edited by xlxo

If you look at the PoW video...

You can see the zodiac. Things to consider...

• are you willing to wear a survival suit for the zodiac trip. A traditional boat has life jackets for emergencies.
  • How long is the trip? Are you going to have too much wind, sun or rain as there is no roof enclosure.
  • I think Victoria and Vancouver have to travel greater distances to the find the whales in the San Juan. My Ketchikan found whales in about 15-20 minutes in the channel.
  • as you are closer to the water..... your camera would be more vulnerable to splashing water.
  • Prince of Whales offers both boat types.

Orcas have hundreds of miles of range but the southern pods do have Victoria as their mid range, so they are fairly successful with seeing them. Out of Vancouver less so.

Ketchikan is not a consistent feeding area, and there aren't "whale watch" boat tours run out of there. It was pure remote chance that the above poster saw humpbacks.

Ooops.... it was in Juneau that I did that whale watch. Thanks BudgetQueen.

http://www.stepintoalaska.com/

I just remember it felt like 90 minutes of more bouncing along the waves to reach the San Juan when departing from Granville Island (Vancouver). If from Vancouver, my next trip will be from Richmond (Steveston) to save on the water commute time to Tumbo Island feeding area.

Edited by xlxo

Ooops.... it was in Juneau that I did that whale watch. Thanks BudgetQueen.

http://www.stepintoalaska.com/

I just remember it felt like 90 minutes of more bouncing along the waves to reach the San Juan when departing from Granville Island (Vancouver). If from Vancouver, my next trip will be from Richmond (Steveston) to save on the water commute time to Tumbo Island feeding area.

Frankly, the better tours are of the northern pods. I go out of both Port Hardy and Telegraph Cove. With whale watching around Vancouver Island, I find it absolutely necessary to go out for several days. Most people plan on one trip, this just doesn't do much for me.

You are making assumptions that aren't valid, even with your "plan" of going out of Richmond isn't going to increase your sightings. As I have stated, the midpoint of the 3 Southern pods is Victoria, the orcas can range all the way up to the Campbell River, and the same distance going West. If the orcas are west on your day, you aren't going to get out to them. I have been able to connect with vendors- I'm sure due to be a long time, many time customer where I find out if sightings are within range. I don't go out if they aren't. It isn't a guessing game where they are, it is known their general location. There is a whole network of sighters who report all day long. Problem is, these boat tours go out knowing full well if orcas are going to be seen, or not. I would not expect the infrequent customer to be told ahead of time, like I've been able to get, however.

Frankly, the better tours are of the northern pods. I go out of both Port Hardy and Telegraph Cove. .

Another thumbs up for Telegraph Cove ! For 12-15 years, Vancouver Island was my week long camping trip with whale watching as the highlight. Always a great experience.

The last 3 yrs have been local trips out of Anacortes WA to see the southern pods. Again successful trips, but I go in Sept during the salmon run to increase my odds. It's a lovely trip thru the San Juans with wonderful scenery and lots of sealife , and so far, great whale sightings .