Which Terminal in Toulon will Island Princess Use?

loriva

My research thus far into this port indicates Toulon is served by two terminals for cruise ships: one that is in central Toulon and one in La Seyne Sur Mer across the bay. The former is used for "smaller" ships and the latter for "larger" ships, which has included the Regal Princess. Since I believe this will be the first time the Island Princess will be used on this itinerary, I have been unable to find any information on which terminal it will use--nor what defines "smaller" or "larger" for the terminals in Toulon. As this will affect our planning for excursions that day, I'd appreciate any advice anyone has on which terminal will be used. (Our sailing is not until October, so I guess I'll have time to read lots of reviews and find out the answer once the Island actually starts sailing this route after its dry dock! But planning is half the fun of a cruise.)

Thanks for the responses.

My question, perhaps premature given that it will not sail on this itinerary until mid-May, is that Island Princess is smaller than Regal: 964 feet according to the Princess website versus 1,083 for Regal. I did some additional searching trying to answer my question. The maximum "LOA" for cruise ships docking at Toulon City Center is 300 m (984 feet) according to some info I finally found. At Mole La Seyne, the max. LOA is 340 m (1,115 ft). The largest ship, by LOA, to dock at Toulon City Center was the Brillance of the Seas (LOA=249 m (812 ft) / draft=8 m). (I also had to look up the definition of the abbreviation: "LOA is usually measured on the hull alone. For sailing ships, this may exclude the bowsprit and other fittings added to the hull. This is how some racing boats and tall ships use the term LOA. However, other sources may include bowsprits in LOA. Confusingly, LOA has different meanings.")

So, the length listed for Island--964 feet--is less than the max. LOA for the dock but greater than the largest ship docked there so far. (Its draft is less--7.49 m (24 feet) versus 8 m for BotS.) Of course, I'm not sure if Princess's measurement is LOA. Since both docks are under the same port authority, could Princess use either? To be assigned by the port authority, presumably?

Welcome thoughts!

Thanks for the responses.

My question, perhaps premature given that it will not sail on this itinerary until mid-May, is that Island Princess is smaller than Regal: 964 feet according to the Princess website versus 1,083 for Regal. I did some additional searching trying to answer my question. The maximum "LOA" for cruise ships docking at Toulon City Center is 300 m (984 feet) according to some info I finally found. At Mole La Seyne, the max. LOA is 340 m (1,115 ft). The largest ship, by LOA, to dock at Toulon City Center was the Brillance of the Seas (LOA=249 m (812 ft) / draft=8 m). (I also had to look up the definition of the abbreviation: "LOA is usually measured on the hull alone. For sailing ships, this may exclude the bowsprit and other fittings added to the hull. This is how some racing boats and tall ships use the term LOA. However, other sources may include bowsprits in LOA. Confusingly, LOA has different meanings.")

So, the length listed for Island--964 feet--is less than the max. LOA for the dock but greater than the largest ship docked there so far. (Its draft is less--7.49 m (24 feet) versus 8 m for BotS.) Of course, I'm not sure if Princess's measurement is LOA. Since both docks are under the same port authority, could Princess use either? To be assigned by the port authority, presumably?

Welcome thoughts!

I would bet that Princess has a contract to use the La Seyne terminal.

And they generate more $$ by forcing people to use the water taxi. ;)

We noticed that in many ports on our Med cruise, especially when they were known to dock close to some towns they chose to dock away and the shuttle companies land/water made bank. :(

We were on the Regal last year (hi Colo Cruiser) and we docked at La Seyne Sur Mer. We are not big fans of ship's tours, usually use private tours or DIY it, but sometimes they really work out well. We took the ship's tour to Aix-en-Provence now called "Best of Provence". We were picked up right at the ship so no extra money for ride into Toulon. Had a nice drive to Ax and a decent guided tour. We left the guided tour early (told the guide and thanked her) so we had more time on our own. Met the group at the time and place and had a really lovely bus ride back through the Provence countryside and long the coast. Well worth the money.

Just my "two cents".

<<<Karen>>>

We were on the Regal last year (hi Colo Cruiser) and we docked at La Seyne Sur Mer. We are not big fans of ship's tours, usually use private tours or DIY it, but sometimes they really work out well. We took the ship's tour to Aix-en-Provence now called "Best of Provence". We were picked up right at the ship so no extra money for ride into Toulon. Had a nice drive to Ax and a decent guided tour. We left the guided tour early (told the guide and thanked her) so we had more time on our own. Met the group at the time and place and had a really lovely bus ride back through the Provence countryside and long the coast. Well worth the money.

Just my "two cents".

<<<Karen>>>

Hey Karen, we went to St Tropez. It was excellent. :)

On the Regal in October we docked in La Seyne.

A $25pp day pass for a water shuttle was available between the dock and downtown Toulon.

We noticed that in many ports on our Med cruise, especially when they were known to dock close to some towns they chose to dock away and the shuttle companies land/water made bank. :(

To me it is false advertising to say an itinerary goes to a certain port and then you have to pay extra to actually get there.

We docked at La Seyne Sur Mer on our Regal cruise. We walked up the road to catch the bus. Once you exit the port you turn right and walk about a half mile until you see the bus turnaround. 1.40 Euro to Toulon. We got off at the La Seyne-Six-Fours train station for a trip to Bandol.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app