Recent Valor Cruisers

cruiser fanatic

Hi all,

I had a friend that just got off the Carnival Valor and did not have a good experience. She said that the ship was dirty, the rooms were dirty, bad food, and the crew were rude. Has any recent Valor cruisers experienced this? I know the ship has not had a dry dock in 4 years. I have a B2B in April on the Valor and I hope I picked the right ship. Thanks

I was on there last week and did not experience any of those issues. Yeah, it has not been drydocked recently, but it is still maintained and in great condition.

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at the people that are pathetic enough to think just because a ship has not been drydocked for a few years means the ship is just a rotting rust bucket with holes in the walls and ripped up carpet everywhere. :rolleyes:

Edited by ZJ13820

When I read your post I said to myself granted the ship didn't make her dry dock in 2014 and its been awhile but she has got to be maintained and be clean.

Food...well, we never found Carnivals food to be even good just fair, but the steakhouse is excellent.

If the rooms were dirty like your friend said, everybody on the ship be in guest services constantly complaining and I doubt this was the case.

I really have never experienced rude crew (except on NCL), surely sometimes the service is a hit or miss in the MDR but never rude.

I am booked on the Valor for May 8 southern caribbean and was well aware she has not been in dry dock yet but nobody really has made bad reviews on the Valor here on cruise critic.

I also believe and its a guess of mine that she should be in cdc inspection sometime in march..last time was in July and they generally do it every 8 months.

Edited by lyndamr

I also don't care whether the ship has the 2.0 upgrades because I never would use them, I won't even touch a guys burger too much fat and grease ugh. I don't need the alchemy bar, Red Frog or the Blue Iguana bar I have other bars that can make the same drink....EA Sports bar, not going to sit watching stupid sports while I am on a cruise!

I do love punch liners breakfast hehehe

We were on the Valor with parents who are in their 80,s jan 11-18 . We all found the ship charming and clean . The crew was friendly . The upstairs Washington MDR staff was friendly but seemed a bit busier (less help , more guests to take care of) than some others we've been on recently. The itinerary was unbelievable compared to the Cozumel, progreso,cayman routine. We will do this one again next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed on the Valor on January 11, 2015. We are Platinum cruisers and have been on at least 9 Carnival ships over the years.

We remarked often during this cruise how freshly painted and well maintained this ship was. Sure, it's an older ship, but we thought it was more comfortable than some of the updated ships we have been on.

For example, the Ivanho Lounge for the shows was spacious and it was easy to get good seats. The gym was larger than those offered on some of the updated ships, and the two level serenity Deck was the best we've been on. We would cruise the Valor again any time.

I'd be curious to your friends description of a dirty ship.

and with as many crew members a person comes in contact with-- how are they all so rude? someone had to be friendly?

but reading here-- some people get bent out of shape because the crew member does not socialize with them during their week. I can not recall the last time i seen my cabin steward on any of my past sailings but he does the job and I do not need a new friend to chat about my day>

with all the options on the ship how can it all be bad-- =unless the person going in has high expectations of what it is. Its food being prepared for a thousand people at a time. I dont expect gormet-- its food.

can she give you some clarity on the dirty ship. and rude crew?

We've been on the Valor multiple times since 2005, the last time was this past November. Due to the homeport switch, we'll be back on in 10 weeks. She is well-maintained, as are all the Carnival. As for the staff, like everyone else, smile and say Hi, don't treat them like your personal servant and they will make sure you have the time of your life.

Edited by Uncle Deane

I just got off the Valor last week and I (being a total clean freak, and in the service industry) thought it was very clean and very friendly. I pay very close attention to those sort of details. Trying not to make unfair judgements but I would be willing to bet your friend is the type that isn't happy unless she has something to complain about. Having been there myself I can't even imagine how anyone could complain about that ship or that crew. They were amazing. Not brand new, but very well kept and clean as a whistle.

I personally have spoiled myself by the 2.0 upgrades and I would not sail on a ship that does not have the upgrades if I am sailing for 5 days or longer. I am obsessed with Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina and the Red Frog Rum Bars so MY cruise experience would be lacking if those things were not on the ship.

My parents sailed on the Valor in late October and they LOVED it! They said the ship had some minor wear and tear since it has not been dry-docked in a while, but that did not effect their cruise experience at all... The crew was super friendly and they also said other shipmates were raving about the ship as well... Not once did they complain of dirty cabins or terrible food.

It is totally up to the individual as to what you can live with [or without]. I wouldn't worry about the negative reviews. I always try to go on vacation with an open mind so my opinions aren't swayed one way or another. Have fun on your B2B! :)