Spa/Makeup ?

Kudos2Fly

This was asked in the Holland America forum, but no one answered it. It may be a dumb question. We are going on the Zuiderdam.

Has anyone gone to the spa in the hair/makeup area and gotten advice on applying makeup?? It may be an odd question. But do they teach people to put their own makeup on?

I have gotten out of the habit of using certain makeup items. Plus I use all organic makeup when I do put something on. Like liquid eyeliner and mascara is a bit hard for me to do. Was never really in to putting makeup on and hardly do it at home.. But think it's a skill I need to improve on. And what better place to do it on, then a cruise... LOL

"If" they do, do this what is the cost?

IF they do it...it will cost a bundle! It would be cheaper to go to a department store and let one of the make-up counters show you..they do it for free, in many cases! Also, I'm pretty sure the ship isn't going to have "organic" make-up...whatever that is!

Any spa or salon service costs much more than on land.

My DW decided that she needed help with her makeup just before a cruise to Hawaii. She spoke to a hair dresser in San Diego and they knew a makeup artist that would consult with her. I think that it cost about $75. It worked out really well. The makeup artist gave her some great techniques and was not interested in selling her specific products. I think that the department store idea would be the cheapest. A makeup consultant worked better for my wife. I don't know what is available in your area, but you could check into it. For us, paying for the consultation was probably cheaper in the long run because DW doesn't really spend much on makeup and she looks wonderful.

Good luck, Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

Yea don't want to buy any of their makeup. Will look in the consultant idea. Not sure what is available in my area. But will look into it.

cd at sea - I know the ship will not have the makeup I use, since you have order it online. I just didn't know if they did consultations on the ship.

This was asked in the Holland America forum, but no one answered it. It may be a dumb question. We are going on the Zuiderdam.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. :p Perhaps they don't have the answer so they just didn't reply rather than give you advice that isn't adequate.

Has anyone gone to the spa in the hair/makeup area and gotten advice on applying makeup?? It may be an odd question. But do they teach people to put their own makeup on?

I haven't seen this service on the cruises I've been on, but I also wasn't looking. Try calling the cruise line directly if you don't find your answer here. If you want to get a makeup consultation beforehand and want feedback mary kay, merle norman, avon will all do for free, though they will try to sell you their products. If you learn by trial and error, search youtube videos on your specific makeup application, they are quite decent and accessible.

I have gotten out of the habit of using certain makeup items. Plus I use all organic makeup when I do put something on. Like liquid eyeliner and mascara is a bit hard for me to do. Was never really in to putting makeup on and hardly do it at home.. But think it's a skill I need to improve on. And what better place to do it on, then a cruise... LOL

I also can't apply liquid eyeliner and when I've had someone apply it for me, I didn't like it. I think liquid eyeliner isn't for everyone. My next attempt will be with gel/paste eyeliner.

Hope this helps!

I would also check with higher end salons in your area. Mine offers make up applications for either 30 minutes or 60 minutes. If it were me, I would do the 60 minutes and bring my own makeup. Price wise, 60 minutes is $65. If you do this before the cruise, then you will have time to practice what you learn.

As far as mascara goes, I do much better applying a mascara that has the old fashioned bristle wand compared to applying with the newer rubbery wands. I could never apply liquid liner, so I use a dark shadow with a stiff angled brush to apply it as eyeliner. The powder is great since I can blend it with the other shadows.

Lisa

Smilefy & RedHeadTexan thanks for the info. Yea liquid eyeliner may not be the best for me. Looking to going back to an pencil eyeliner.

We do have an Merle Norman in my area. So will see if they will do a consultation with out buying there makeup.

When I was younger, i'd use a pencil eyeliner, and then go over top with liquid to "lock" the pencil in place.

I've done it enough times now, that I skip the pencil. You may want to practice it this way. Use your pencil. Use a q-tip with makeup remover to fix any mistakes, and then brush over the pencil with the liquid.

Sephora is a great place for learning how to put on makeup. They will usually only "do" one side of your face, and then get you to "do" the other side. Ask for samples to try it yourself at home, and then you can come back later if/when you want.

Most of the sales girls are pretty "dramatic" with their makeup look, but I usually look for one whose makeup style I like and then ask her for advice.

Edited by Queen of Oakville