Booking direct or with an online agent

chelseauk

Hi,

I've been on a couple of cruises with celebrity and really enjoyed them. Last time i booked direct. This time round I've been looking around and i can't quite work out the advantage of using an online agent rather than going direct. The prices seem to be the same and the deals the same. I'd kind of assumed they would be cheaper or give you a better deal with on board credit (or something) but from what i can tell it's the same but just with someone else to deal with.

Am i missing something ?

Mike.

Edited by chelseauk

UK agents are very reluctant to sweeten the deals.

Try a US one they will nearly always give something.

Pick one with no penalties/change charges so you can get price drops.

Also X have better 123 deals on some cruises for the rest of this month

Edited by insidecabin

Sometimes I book direct with the cruise line, sometimes with an on-line TA - but only well-known ones.

There are some TAs that undercut the cruise lines but you have to search around to find them. Try looking at the back of Saturday newspapers such as the DM. And also on this website using the tabs above.

Sadly, you will not be able to book with a US travel agent if you are in the UK. It is just not allowed, possibly even illegal, unless you have a permanent address somewhere un the US.

Never had a problem with RCI or Celebrity bookings through a US travel agent.

Loads of UK/EU and other non residents do it regularly.

There is no legislation in the US hat stops this.

It is not always cheaper but the booking conditions are better and in most cases the money goes direct to the cruise line so no intermediary to go bust and cause issues.

Always worth checking EU countries as well like Germany in case they have better deals..

Sadly, you will not be able to book with a US travel agent if you are in the UK. It is just not allowed, possibly even illegal, unless you have a permanent address somewhere un the US.

The rules were changed in 2013. We booked onboard and were asked if we wanted to use a UK or US travel agent. As long as you could give them details of a US agent you were allowed to use them. The main advantage apart from OBC is being able to cancel without losing the deposit. This is fact, we have done it. The downside is that you are at the mercy of the currency exchange rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 year later...
US travel agents seem to be able to improve on Customers' already booked deals, offer additional perks, upgrades, $OBC etc. My question is, can UK travel agents do the same?

Be nice or leave [emoji3]

Some agents can offer better deals especially the ones that are on TV, but, if it's similar to what the cruise line are offering I would book direct with the line as if the price drops you can just give them a quick call and they will usually honour the drop, when you call an agent they are sometimes reluctant to do this or can take so long by the time they get to it the offer has gone, had this happen to me before not used a UK agent since then, we tend to either book direct with the cruise line in the UK or use an american travel agent.

Some agents can offer better deals especially the ones that are on TV, but, if it's similar to what the cruise line are offering I would book direct with the line as if the price drops you can just give them a quick call and they will usually honour the drop, when you call an agent they are sometimes reluctant to do this or can take so long by the time they get to it the offer has gone, had this happen to me before not used a UK agent since then, we tend to either book direct with the cruise line in the UK or use an american travel agent.

Would not honour price drop this summer for a UK direct booking with Celebrity, perhaps in USA but not UK.

Edited by AnOnymously