First time cruising and we have a few questions

Kentsgal1983

We booked our first cruise and we are excited but I've got some questions about it.

We our going on a 5 day cruise out of Galveston on Carnival Triumph and we were wondering if the $50 upgrade for VIP (faster to fun pass) is worth the money? Everyone I talked to says yes but they aren't experienced cruisers.

Also, any packing advice? I'm an over the road truck driver so pretty good at packing but also really good at leaving things behind too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn't waste my money that way....get to the terminal by 11 and you'l likely be among the first to board.......packing.....take half the clothes and twice the money!....you'l be in a bathing suit most days.....it is amazing how little you really need...have a wonderful time!

I am a FTTF fan, but generally take longer cruises. Getting priority boarding, debarkation are worth it to me. Are you tendering at any port? Another consideration. And it's nice to have a priority line at the service desk. It's subjective, but to me the $50 is a small price to pay for the priority handling.

If you decide, get it quickly, as they do sell out quickly.

• 2 months later...
We did end up getting the FTTF so I won't have to hang out and burn prematurely. I've packed a few dresses, I'm a trucker so I live on packing light. Lol!

DH and I took a Carnival cruise last October. I bought the FTTF for us. It was totally worth the money to have our cabin ready immediately, our luggage inside BEFORE we opened our door at 1:00. And the virtually empty window at guest services dedicated to FTTF holders. Money well spent.

We booked our first cruise and we are excited but I've got some questions about it.

We our going on a 5 day cruise out of Galveston on Carnival Triumph and we were wondering if the $50 upgrade for VIP (faster to fun pass) is worth the money? Everyone I talked to says yes but they aren't experienced cruisers.

Also, any packing advice? I'm an over the road truck driver so pretty good at packing but also really good at leaving things behind too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can think of a lot better ways to spend $50 than getting on the ship an hour or so early.

I can think of a lot better ways to spend $50 than getting on the ship an hour or so early.

It's several hours plus your room is ready. No to mention first to tender and disembark and easy access to guest services. It's only $50, well worth it.

Most cruise lines start check in 10ish and boarding around 11. Plenty of time to drop bags then lunch. Sounds like a real money maker for CCL, a rip for you. Have you studied up on things to do in ports? $50 would buy a nice lunch on shore.

Most cruise lines start check in 10ish and boarding around 11. Plenty of time to drop bags then lunch. Sounds like a real money maker for CCL, a rip for you. Have you studied up on things to do in ports? $50 would buy a nice lunch on shore.

I will have another $50 to spend on lunch. But like I said, IMO, prioroty tendering for 2 ports will be worth the nominal $50 fee. I will be assured to be there for lunch. You may have to spend $100 and have dinner, but time you tender :D At a tender port this past summer, it took HOURS to tender everyone, due to high winds. I'll spend the $50 and wave to you as we head ashore :p

$50 is cheap for FTTF. I've done it once before and didn't feel like I benefited a ton from it. However, it's only $50 so it might be worth a shot.

For packing I usually draw out a calendar with the port days. I plan out my outfits for the day/night and then throw in a couple of extra pairs of socks and underwear along with an extra shirt.

Bring sunscreen.

We bought it for our cruises and will buy it again.

Even though the early boarding is great we buy it to get our luggage early so we are unpacked before sail away. We also liked the priority tendering and the fact we never had to wait in the guest services line.

Other cruisers used the priority debarkation as well (zone 1 tags) but we do self assist anyway.

I thought rooms weren't ready until later in the day?