VIFP Club Benefits Change(email from Carnival)

FlorenceItaly

Wow....lot of unhappy people over a few dollars. If it matters that much to you, then you may want to pay more to sail on a line that will offer you better freebies :rolleyes:.

I personally have only sailed once on Carnival when we got the free drink coupon. While I found it a nice perk, I'm not really a morning drinker and could have easily gone without it. I have found myself, on almost every cruise, wishing for a bottle of water on a really hot day to take off the ship on an excursion though. This would come in quite handy for me since I don't care to lug water on-board with me and I can't seem to make myself pay the price they charge for it on-board (but that is my problem :D).

To be quite honest I don't sail any line for their loyalty perks and really could care less what they are (and yes I do sail other lines). They play no part in my decision of which ship to sail because they are basically irrelevant to me. I think it is great to get some freebies on board and I enjoy what they give me....but that is all they are, a few free perks that will not make or break my cruise in any way. It is amazing to me how many of you get so upset over so little.

My point was it is an ineffective loyalty program when people that take less frequent cruises or are new to cruising don't get anything for their early loyalty. Me, with a cruise a year in 3 years, sees no point in staying loyal to Carnival when RCI or others offers similar itineraries and similar prices.

What I want a more progressive application of perks. Have something for 40 or 50 days. A free drink was a simple, cheap perk in the grand scheme of things. Even then, they should have more.

I'm not going to choose Carnival again on the sole basis that I can get priority boarding and free laundry a decade from now. Making loyalty programs useless makes for a loss of loyalty. It's that simple.

I completely agree with you!

My DH and I can usually only take one cruise a year. Our first cruise we were 'hooked' for a second Carnival cruise due to the FCC certificates. It was a great perk and incentive to encourage us to book our cruise the next year with Carnival. Then they went away.

So at this point we have the VIFP program to help encourage us to stay faithful and loyal to Carnival. But with it easily taking 10-15 years to really see any benefit for remaining a loyal Carnival cruiser it gives one less incentive to remain a loyal Carnival cruiser in the interim.

At this point Red gets the bottle of water as their perk for remaining loyal Carnival customers, and Gold gets the VIFP party (5+ day cruises only), a bottle of water, and a pin.

They took away essentially a 'fun' item (as the coupon could be used for any $$ drink regardless of alcohol content) and replaced it with something mundane... yes, water is useful, but not special. I don't care how many filters it has been through or what fancy spring it came out of - a bottle of water is not a treat.

So I think those that are disappointed have a right to be. Once you have most definitely proven that you are a loyal Carnival customer the perks are incredible. However, until then, what perks we do get are few and I truly feel that those perks should be special treats and a true enhancement of your vacation.

Wow....lot of unhappy people over a few dollars. If it matters that much to you, then you may want to pay more to sail on a line that will offer you better freebies :rolleyes:.

I personally have only sailed once on Carnival when we got the free drink coupon. While I found it a nice perk, I'm not really a morning drinker and could have easily gone without it. I have found myself, on almost every cruise, wishing for a bottle of water on a really hot day to take off the ship on an excursion though. This would come in quite handy for me since I don't care to lug water on-board with me and I can't seem to make myself pay the price they charge for it on-board (but that is my problem :D).

To be quite honest I don't sail any line for their loyalty perks and really could care less what they are (and yes I do sail other lines). They play no part in my decision of which ship to sail because they are basically irrelevant to me. I think it is great to get some freebies on board and I enjoy what they give me....but that is all they are, a few free perks that will not make or break my cruise in any way. It is amazing to me how many of you get so upset over so little.

That point cuts both ways. If it's only a few dollars per returning passenger, why cut it?

This cut is a symptom of the problem. A minor one, sure, but part of the picture. Carnival does not seem to value loyalty to the extent they once did. They cut and cut, claiming it's for our benefit when it is not.

I also hate people saying they don't use it, so they don't care. I don't swim in the lido pools, so should I say they should yank them? Of course not.

Your last point cuts to the heart of the issue. If the loyalty program does nothing to encourage your loyalty, why have it?

That point cuts both ways. If it's only a few dollars per returning passenger, why cut it?

This cut is a symptom of the problem. A minor one, sure, but part of the picture. Carnival does not seem to value loyalty to the extent they once did. They cut and cut, claiming it's for our benefit when it is not.

I also hate people saying they don't use it, so they don't care. I don't swim in the lido pools, so should I say they should yank them? Of course not.

Your last point cuts to the heart of the issue. If the loyalty program does nothing to encourage your loyalty, why have it?

Actually no loyalty program on any cruise line encourages my loyalty. I don't want to be loyal to any line. I like variety when I cruise and I pick the ship that meets my wants and needs at that time. I wonder how many cruisers are like me? I cruise a ship for multiple reasons...none of which include the loyalty perks which are usually minimal on any line compared to what you pay to cruise. I think it is great that they offer them, but I don't expect them to give me a certain amount of perks and I don't really care if they change them....they are free perks, nice to get but don't really matter in the grand scheme of my vacation. In my opinion some are just blowing this whole thing way out of proportion. It's a couple dollars, smh...I don't get the big deal that some are trying to make it.

But having the Room Stewards lug big heavy bottles of water for every return guest is so much better. I totally agree the waitstaff are over worked. The Room Stewards are over worked and now will be adding to there load.

There's already a large bottle of water in every cabin upon boarding. I suppose when the cabin is occupied by a Platinum, they'll simply not charge for it when it's opened.

Yes, I agree. As long as CCL can do it without raising fares to the point where the first time cruiser can't afford it, or that the returning cruiser looks at other cruise lines for a better value. I would prefer better basics for everyone - more live music, and high quality food, for instance.

Yep. I'm a shareholder and if this CUTBACK helps the bottom line without causing the ships to sail half full (and it will have zero impact on bookings), I don't mind at all.

I'd also be perfectly happy if they discontinued the Platinum chocolate plate. I don't eat them and always mean to go to the Service Desk and tell them to just skip me but I forget until they arrive and end up in the hallway a couple of days later. I mean, it's not like I'm going to go hungry without that plate of chocolates, right? Sheesh. Last thing I need when I cruise is more calories!

And almost always give away my Platinum gift, so I wouldn't mind it being discontinued, either.

And I don't use the laundry service, either! Honestly, the only perk I use is priority boarding and the rare tendering service. I'm such a low-maintenance Very Important Platinum Person! :p

Wow! I wish Carnival would have just added a little line of printing to the coupon that said "If you find the times to restrictive to use your free drink coupon, you can redeem your coupon with the cabin steward for a free bottle of water." Everybody happy.

No Way! That is far too logical.

Wow! I wish Carnival would have just added a little line of printing to the coupon that said "If you find the times to restrictive to use your free drink coupon, you can redeem your coupon with the cabin steward for a free bottle of water." Everybody happy.

I think that would be a fabulous solution!!! You should suggest it on Heald's page. (your idea :) )

Do you really think that most people would choose a ten dollar drink or a bottle of water?

I choose the drink.

Water is already provided.

That coupon was offered when they did away with the Fun Farewell Party, which actually was really fun.

The Fun Farewell took the place of the Captain's Cocktail Party.

So in essence, a cocktail party has been replaced with a drink of water.

Big Whoop.

In my everyday life I have many drinks of water and very few cocktail parties.

Seriously.

Maybe most people live a much more glamorous life than I do and are bored by yet another cocktail party...

There's already a large bottle of water in every cabin upon boarding. I suppose when the cabin is occupied by a Platinum, they'll simply not charge for it when it's opened.

Yep. I'm a shareholder and if this CUTBACK helps the bottom line without causing the ships to sail half full (and it will have zero impact on bookings), I don't mind at all.

I'd also be perfectly happy if they discontinued the Platinum chocolate plate. I don't eat them and always mean to go to the Service Desk and tell them to just skip me but I forget until they arrive and end up in the hallway a couple of days later. I mean, it's not like I'm going to go hungry without that plate of chocolates, right? Sheesh. Last thing I need when I cruise is more calories!

And almost always give away my Platinum gift, so I wouldn't mind it being discontinued, either.

And I don't use the laundry service, either! Honestly, the only perk I use is priority boarding and the rare tendering service. I'm such a low-maintenance Very Important Platinum Person! :p

Same here...we have given away almost every Platinum gift and never eat the chocolate platter. Have only used the drink coupons once. We use the laundry a couple of times each trip.

We like the Platinum boarding but the last few cruises the Captain's Lounge has been so crammed it is crazy.

I was disappointed when I saw this change. I'm red and will hit the gold level during my next cruise in September. A free drink is better to me than water that is free in every water fountain and drink station! I'm afraid that CCL will keep downgrading the perks and increasing the time to reach the next level.

We'll be taking our 3rd Carnival cruise in a couple of weeks and enjoyed both previous cruises and expect to enjoy the upcoming one. So, we get a free bottle of water instead of a free drink because we haven't sailed enough on carnival. Hmmm. To me, it just looks like a chincy move. One drink does not make a cruise nor does it bankrupt a cruise line. I don't even drink alcahol! But....to me, it is a matter of principle. To stop something you started and substitute something that is readily available and already free....well, it's a matter of principle.

Has Carnival announced what brand of bottled water will be our perk? Will it be Evian, Perrier, Pellagrino or will the label look like the printing on the round soaps by the hand sinks and just say "WATER" in black block lettering?

HAHAHAHAHA! A real name brand water?! Now that's funny. It's probably that same stuff they currently have in the room Crystal Geyser or whatever it's called. I don't remember the name, and don't even look at it anymore. I explained on the poll thread :(

Has Carnival announced what brand of bottled water will be our perk? Will it be Evian, Perrier, Pellagrino or will the label look like the printing on the round soaps by the hand sinks and just say "WATER" in black block lettering?

LOL

Like back in the 80s when the first generic stuff was out.

Remember "BEER" "PAPER TOWELS" etc.

LOL i think you're on to something.

water_bottle-300x300.jpg

if you want anything more fancy than that you're going to have to go buy it. so boom, they turned a cost cutting measure into a further revenue opportunity :rolleyes:

LOL i think you're on to something.

water_bottle-300x300.jpg

if you want anything more fancy than that you're going to have to go buy it. so boom, they turned a cost cutting measure into a further revenue opportunity :rolleyes:

Falkcor, your water bottle appears to be missing the Carnival funnel.

That way, everyone will know just how generous Carnival is!

Edited by Pixelate

Actually no loyalty program on any cruise line encourages my loyalty. I don't want to be loyal to any line. I like variety when I cruise and I pick the ship that meets my wants and needs at that time. I wonder how many cruisers are like me? I cruise a ship for multiple reasons...none of which include the loyalty perks which are usually minimal on any line compared to what you pay to cruise. I think it is great that they offer them, but I don't expect them to give me a certain amount of perks and I don't really care if they change them....they are free perks, nice to get but don't really matter in the grand scheme of my vacation. In my opinion some are just blowing this whole thing way out of proportion. It's a couple dollars, smh...I don't get the big deal that some are trying to make it.

You couldn't of said it better. We have sailed mostly on Carnival but am no way loyal to them as they are a business. We cruise for the ports, or price or ship or a combination of all three. Not for one free drink at brunch! We spend much on tasty adult beverages every cruise and am looking forward to our cruise next month and not have to bring our 2 bottles (no not a 24 pack like some passengers we have seen) of water in our carry on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums