VIFP Club Benefits Change(email from Carnival)

FlorenceItaly

i'm astonished this thread is 8 pages over one lousy drink.

It's one watered down drink. If not getting one free watered down drink is going to ruin someone's vacation, maybe staying home would be a better option because i'd hate to see the reaction when things really go loco.

amen!!!!!!

I'm astonished this thread is 8 pages over one lousy drink.

It's one watered down drink. If not getting one free watered down drink is going to ruin someone's vacation, maybe staying home would be a better option because I'd hate to see the reaction when things really go loco.

When I say Carnival below, I am referring to corporate, not the workers on the ship. The workers on the ship do a bang up job, although SOME of the management staff have left something to be desired,

It's not about the free drink. It's about Carnival's attitude toward the customer. I think we can all agree there published "reasoning" is bologna. If not, then I hope my below statements get you to thinking. But to the point of a watered down drink... If carnival is acting this way toward a watered down drink today and openly blaming it on customer complaints, what is there attitude going to be next? In 2012 we had a party with free drinks, and cappuccino was free in the MDR. In 2014, we had 1 free drink at brunch and cappuccino was at a fee in the MDR. Now you get a bottle of water... Tomorrow, who knows what they will charge extra for. That is what is called a TREND my friends.

I have been carnival 100% of the way. I have recommended them to people. I stood up for them during the triumph issue. But when they call me stupid, that is a BIG deal. If I called a customer, especially a repeat customer stupid, I would be fired on the spot. They have to believe the CUSTOMER is STUPID if they actually believe the customer will believe there excuse of it being what we wanted. Therefore in there eyes CUSTOMER = STUPID.

Again, the few that prefer the water to the drink and just don't care, fine. Doesn't mean you believe the excuse. I'm not calling anyone stupid. So don't get mad at me. Just pointing out carnivals views of the customer, and the downward trend of them appreciating customers. Get mad at them. I like carnival, might even sail carnival again if it makes (for now), but customers should be aware of Carnival's declining respect for customers and voice your concerns to corporate. Hopefully they turn that trend around. but if they don't, I will seek out another line that respects there customers more. Even if the cost is higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, people are still going on and on about this? :confused: Good grief. If you don't feel important, by all means go cruise with someone else already.

Yes, this is a board and the purpose of a board is to discuss the subject at hand and different viewpoints of that subject. I encourage you to state you viewpoint, rather than complaining about other people stating there viewpoints. If it aggravates you, don't look at this particular board / subject. Just don't look at it, problem solved.

You are sure feisty for 6 posts, did you join just to gripe about one silly drink? This has been beaten to death already. It's really simple, take your money elsewhere if you don't like the change.

PS - I've been on here for a long time, I know how it works.

Yes, this is a board and the purpose of a board is to discuss the subject at hand and different viewpoints of that subject. I encourage you to state you viewpoint, rather than complaining about other people stating there viewpoints. If it aggravates you, don't look at this particular board / subject. Just don't look at it, problem solved.

I normally don't have strong feelings, so why post. This subject, I do. So yes I am going to voice my viewpoints. Like I said, if you are tired of hearing this discussion, then ignore it. Go be awesome somewhere else, fly a kite, read a book, get a hobby, I don't care what you do. Otherwise, join in and have an intelligent conversation that has substance. So far your opposing viewpoint is that I voiced mine... Tell me why I am wrong. I have already explained that it wasn't just about the drink, but the mindset behind it. The drink is just a symptom of a much larger discussion. Not anti carnival, I love carnival, but the leadership is giving me reasons to skeptical. Prove me wrong. I hope I am wrong.

This would have to be an intelligent conversation to start with and it isn't. Everyone makes changes all the time, it is life...ask my mom 4-5 years ago when RC revamped their VIP club and ticked a bunch of folks off.

I don't see my cell phone company doing anything special for me. Not any of the 3 in the past I had did either. My Internet service? Nope. People I buy cars from? That's a no too. I went to an all inclusive Now resort this summer, no loyalty program there. Carnival gives me a great affordable vacation, a fun time, and great service. I get to relax and have fun instead of waiting on everyone like I do at home. I feel lucky to get to take nice vacations. Has anything changed since they took the Brunch drink away? Nope. I don't cruise for a loyalty program, I know it can be changed or taken away at any point. I don't run around shouting I am Platinum from the rafters and demanding things because I think I am special because quite frankly I'm not. The problem these days is entitlement, everyone always asking "well, what are you going to give ME?".

So if your life is so magical that Carnival taking a drink away is the worst thing to happen of late, consider yourself very lucky. Not a big deal in my world. Moving on........

I normally don't have strong feelings, so why post. This subject, I do. So yes I am going to voice my viewpoints. Like I said, if you are tired of hearing this discussion, then ignore it. Go be awesome somewhere else, fly a kite, read a book, get a hobby, I don't care what you do. Otherwise, join in and have an intelligent conversation that has substance. So far your opposing viewpoint is that I voiced mine... Tell me why I am wrong. I have already explained that it wasn't just about the drink, but the mindset behind it. The drink is just a symptom of a much larger discussion. Not anti carnival, I love carnival, but the leadership is giving me reasons to skeptical. Prove me wrong. I hope I am wrong.

This would have to be an intelligent conversation to start with and it isn't. Everyone makes changes all the time, it is life...ask my mom 4-5 years ago when RC revamped their VIP club and ticked a bunch of folks off.

I don't see my cell phone company doing anything special for me. Not any of the 3 in the past I had did either. My Internet service? Nope. People I buy cars from? That's a no too. I went to an all inclusive Now resort this summer, no loyalty program there. Carnival gives me a great affordable vacation, a fun time, and great service. I get to relax and have fun instead of waiting on everyone like I do at home. I feel lucky to get to take nice vacations. Has anything changed since they took the Brunch drink away? Nope. I don't cruise for a loyalty program, I know it can be changed or taken away at any point. I don't run around shouting I am Platinum from the rafters and demanding things because I think I am special because quite frankly I'm not. The problem these days is entitlement, everyone always asking "well, what are you going to give ME?".

So if your life is so magical that Carnival taking a drink away is the worst thing to happen of late, consider yourself very lucky. Not a big deal in my world. Moving on........

Most of the examples you posted are oligopolies that have little to no competition in their respected markets so they have no reason to offer you incentives.

When I say Carnival below, I am referring to corporate, not the workers on the ship. The workers on the ship do a bang up job, although SOME of the management staff have left something to be desired,

It's not about the free drink. It's about Carnival's attitude toward the customer. I think we can all agree there published "reasoning" is bologna. If not, then I hope my below statements get you to thinking. But to the point of a watered down drink... If carnival is acting this way toward a watered down drink today and openly blaming it on customer complaints, what is there attitude going to be next? In 2012 we had a party with free drinks, and cappuccino was free in the MDR. In 2014, we had 1 free drink at brunch and cappuccino was at a fee in the MDR. Now you get a bottle of water... Tomorrow, who knows what they will charge extra for. That is what is called a TREND my friends.

I have been carnival 100% of the way. I have recommended them to people. I stood up for them during the triumph issue. But when they call me stupid, that is a BIG deal. If I called a customer, especially a repeat customer stupid, I would be fired on the spot. They have to believe the CUSTOMER is STUPID if they actually believe the customer will believe there excuse of it being what we wanted. Therefore in there eyes CUSTOMER = STUPID.

Again, the few that prefer the water to the drink and just don't care, fine. Doesn't mean you believe the excuse. I'm not calling anyone stupid. So don't get mad at me. Just pointing out carnivals views of the customer, and the downward trend of them appreciating customers. Get mad at them. I like carnival, might even sail carnival again if it makes (for now), but customers should be aware of Carnival's declining respect for customers and voice your concerns to corporate. Hopefully they turn that trend around. but if they don't, I will seek out another line that respects there customers more. Even if the cost is higher.

I agree entirely! I'm thoroughly sick & tired of the current attitude of "In order to serve you better, we're going to do less for you. Thank you for your loyalty!"

Edited by frangran

Great points! I agree with the point about entitlement that people seem to think they have. But my phone company did't tell me that when they started limiting data plans that it was because they felt people would be happier. Like I said, not about the drink, but rather how they handled it that concerns me. I do have a great time cruising, which is why I have taken them in the past and plan on in the future. Them cutting the drink, minor inconvenience. That excuse, huge red flag of concern. The trend may be a stretch of the imagination, maybe not. My job for the company I work for is to make sure the division is keeping the customer first in all areas of business operations. So I am a little more sensitive to how companies treat customers. I would have NEVER allowed that statement to be published. If it were, heads would roll. Just say due to rising cost... Don't insult the customer's intelligence. My car dealership replaced my inspection sticker free of charge to me when I took my truck in for an oil change. I offered to pay and they refused to accept it. $5 brought them a lot of word of mouth advertising from me not to mention future business. So yes, some businesses do still value customers and I go out of my way to support them whenever possible. As I did for carnival, until they insulted my intelligence. I will investigate other lines, might still sail carnival. I love the staff on the ships, just very shocked and disappointed that management allowed that statement.

The last cruise I was on the ship water developed a dandy smell and tasted terrible. I tried tea and lemonade and both were the same. I have never been much of a water drinker and that broke me. Only a sip for aspirin when needed. Please don't give me a free bottle of the stuff as a "perk". I'd rather have a free soft drink.

The last cruise I was on the ship water developed a dandy smell and tasted terrible. I tried tea and lemonade and both were the same. I have never been much of a water drinker and that broke me. Only a sip for aspirin when needed. Please don't give me a free bottle of the stuff as a "perk". I'd rather have a free soft drink.

Are the soft drinks bottle or fountain? If they were fountain, then they may have tasted funny also. Tea and lemonade tasted great on the Dream in May 2014. We usually carry on a few bottles for shore. Get it for less than 10 cents a bottle at Lowes in the 32 pack.

There was a kind of a progression in this whole thing.

First there was something called the Captain's Party which had free drinks.

Too many people went.

So they changed it to a small discount on drinks on "party" night.

But they also started the Fun Farewell Party.

The Fun Farewell was actually a lot of fun and I really looked forward to it.

Drinks, live music, dancing, appetizers.

Then they said that too few people were attending the Fun Farewell Party and that people would rather have a free drink coupon.

So now they say that we would rather have a bottle of water than a free drink.

In essence, a cocktail party became a drink of water.

Wow, somehow I am completely underwhelmed.

There was a kind of a progression in this whole thing.

First there was something called the Captain's Party which had free drinks.

Too many people went.

So they changed it to a small discount on drinks on "party" night.

But they also started the Fun Farewell Party.

The Fun Farewell was actually a lot of fun and I really looked forward to it.

Drinks, live music, dancing, appetizers.

Then they said that too few people were attending the Fun Farewell Party and that people would rather have a free drink coupon.

So now they say that we would rather have a bottle of water than a free drink.

In essence, a cocktail party became a drink of water.

Wow, somehow I am completely underwhelmed.

We should be grateful that they were willing to make those changes! -not

By all means carnival, make the change if you like, just don't try to say it is FOR your customers.

I was just on the Carnival website. The loyalty program benefits state that platinum and diamond will receive 1 liter bottle of water. The free drink coupon is not listed at all for any level. I hope it is a mistake:(

You are correct it is not there. I can not remember what it said previous to the change. Very interesting. Well, this was to be implemented starting Feb. 7, so I guess we will know soon enough once people start returning. I don't cruise until Feb. 28.

You are correct it is not there. I can not remember what it said previous to the change. Very interesting. Well, this was to be implemented starting Feb. 7, so I guess we will know soon enough once people start returning. I don't cruise until Feb. 28.

I just looked and it's still listed.

hahahaha...love the "entitlement" reference...so true :rolleyes:

hahahaha...love the "entitlement" reference...so true :rolleyes:

Entitlement is when you expect things for free (like from the government or your parents :) ) or expect to be treated differently than everyone else because you're special. It's not quite the same as being disappointed that you are getting less (even a little less) for your money. And most of the complaints seem to be about the way it was handled, in an email blaming the customer for complaining and pretending it's an improvement. And concerns that this is part of the greater trend toward nickel and dime cuts that might hurt Carnival more than they actually improve the bottom line. But hey, I just flew Spirit Air, where even ice water costs money, so I can't complain. :D