Got sick onboard the Celebrity Reflection

hannah_cruise

Hello everyone! We are currently on board the Reflection, docked in St. Thomas and unfortunately I have come down with either norovirus or food poisoning, although I'm guessing noro is more likely. Wondering if anyone has heard other reports of noro going around on this ship? No announcements have been made on board but I understand they do so only in the case of a really major outbreak. I was especially vigilent about hand washing and sanitizing hands before and after touching buffet utensils, but to no avail.

We had pre-booked a shore excursion for today prior to boarding and my partner has gone without me since I obviously can't go but the excursion desk said there are absutely no refunds regardless of illness... Is this always the case? Sad to waste that money!

Otherwise she's a lovely ship with a very nice crew, so being ill is really unfortunate!

Edited by hannah_cruise
Typo

Have you been confined to your cabin or is it voluntary confinement? I would see the Dr on board. I think it is free for Noro but not sure. In that case I'm sure you would be reimbursed for your excursion. Did you cancel the excursion or just not show?

I'm so sorry your cruise is impaired by this and I hope you recover quickly so you can enjoy the rest of it.

Edited by TeaBag

It's voluntary confinement, I haven't seen the doctor as I don't think there's much they can do, and don't want to be charged crazy fees for essentially being told to wait it out. My husband went down to the shore excursion desk this morning (the excursion was at noon) and explained the situation and they said there's absolutely nothing they can do.

It's voluntary confinement, I haven't seen the doctor as I don't think there's much they can do, and don't want to be charged crazy fees for essentially being told to wait it out. My husband went down to the shore excursion desk this morning (the excursion was at noon) and explained the situation and they said there's absolutely nothing they can do.

My experience is that shore ex. will offer to try and resell your ticket in which case you will be refunded. Did they not make that offer? May want to speak to the Shore ex. manager.

I had an upper respiratory infection and was treated by the doctor on board. He gave me a note to take to Guest Relations and they let me cancel my tour. My insurance covered the Dr's bill.

Also, if you had seen the Dr and he quarantined you for a couple of days, as long as you comply I think Celebrity gives you a per diem credit to your account. I also think TeaBag is correct that they don't charge for any gastro related illnesses.

Edited by Christine Frances

I am concerned that you title your post "Norovirus on Reflection". This could be food poisoning or a bug you picked up elsewhere. We are on the Reflection next week and your title gives me concern. Please keep us posted. I do think you should see the ship doctor to rule out/confirm norovirus. They don't know if it's an issue otherwise.

If everyone who felt sick decided they didn't want to bother seeing the ship's doctor, how would the SHIP know if there was a noro oubreak or other issue?

If for no other reason that that, you SHOULD at least let the ship's doctor KNOW of your illness.

While YOU may have decided to stay in your room, your husband clearly hasn't.

If HE was in close quarters with you, he may be unknowingly spreading whatever YOU have to everyone he is now in contact with. He may not show symptoms until tomorrow.... and by then it's too late. He may have infected another two dozen people.

Edited by DinaS

Sitting on the balcony overlooking Havensite.

I have not heard of any reports of NLV onboard. No extra precautions have been taken but it is quite normal for a few pax to suffer every cruise. I will try to get more info because of the title of this thread.

I certainly would never risk other people's health.

We were on a back to back following a cruise with a lot of noro. I developed symptoms in a few days, went to the infirmary like one is supposed to do, and was quarantined for 4 days. My wife was confined for one day. Many others did the same.

By the second week, the noro was all but eliminated. That would have been impossible if people had been non compliant.

So, I missed a few days of a cruise. Big deal. People get sick and that just happened to be my time. At least I did everything I could do to keep from spreading it. I was quite surprised when I later got $400 in future cruise credit, but that is certainly not why I turned myself in. They always cover costs for noro and related and even if they hadn't, my cruise insurance would have.

By the way, they also give you free meds and send a special diet.

Ship happens.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

Edited by wvufan

Sorryfor the alarm, perhaps I should have phrased the title with a question mark, as I was mainly posing a question. Yes, it's possible it's a bug picked up elsewhere but as we're on a cruise ship and have been on board for several days already the likeliest cause is noro (unless it is food poisoining in which case that's not a good reflection on the food, but I don't think so). I was unaware they don't charge for gastro-related issues because I've heard horror stories about medical fees, but yes that appears to be the case. And to answer my other original question they have confirmed they will not refund shore excursions without a medical note, as another poster mentioned. Yes we are taking precautions, as much as humanly possible and as I mentioned I was doing so even before I got sick. Today seems a bit better so hopefully it will pass soon.

Edited by hannah_cruise

Very sad to hear you are ill :( however self diagnosis is never a good idea. Don't put a dollar value on your health as any untreated virus is potentially dangerous. I'm sure the ship's doc will make a "cabin call" and if needed start your treatment right away or even confirm that you will be fine without meds. Unless you've been seen by a doctor, be careful what you post. Most importantly though, feel better and enjoy the rest of the cruise :)

To the OP - I am not trying to be the cruise police here, but you really have a responsibility to report it to the ship's doctor. You will not be charged, and you can find out for sure if it is noro. If it is, the standard is that your husband will be confined to the cabin as well. Noro is very, very contagious and if you have it, he is likely spreading it about the ship. For the sake of your cruise mates, I implore you to report to the doctor to check it out (you can call them for instruction on whether to go there or if they will come to you).

I hope it is not noro and I hope you feel better soon and your hubby does not catch it!

I am concerned that you title your post "Norovirus on Reflection". This could be food poisoning or a bug you picked up elsewhere. We are on the Reflection next week and your title gives me concern. Please keep us posted. I do think you should see the ship doctor to rule out/confirm norovirus. They don't know if it's an issue otherwise.

Sorry but I totally agree with this. If I was cruising on this ship anytime soon, seeing this thread title would totally freak me out.

Have been down to the medical centre and it is not Noro due to the lack of presence of a high fever but another type of gastro virus, likely acquired by touching something contaminated on board. Already on the mend so should be out of confinement in another 24hrs. Dh is still ok. The nurse said he does not need to be quarantined unless he shows symptoms. So all should end well. First time being sick on a ship and hopefully the last!

I would change the original title of the post but can't find a way to do so? If the mods want to delete the thread go ahead.

Edited by hannah_cruise

I had suspected noro (it wasn't) and I was reimbursed w/ pro rated daily rate for the time I was in isolation. I did see the doctor and there was NO CHARGE. THey don't want to discourage people w/ possible noro from seeing the doctor, so they don't charge for GI disturbance visits.

I got like free movies and sodas and was able to order from a very limited menu (Think all white stuff... banana, chicken breast, potatoes). My steward would drop it off and say "You don't LOOK sick." And I'd say "I'm not" but if you do go to the infirmary w/ GI issues you will ALMOST always be quarantined b/c protocol states they have to do it. Your card is flagged so that if you were to use at the bars etc it comes up that you're supposed to be in your cabin (I sent my room mate out to get me something and she had my card and BING!!)

I got sick on Celebrity Equinox a couple of years ago and went to the Doctor. All the excursions my husband and I had booked for the period we were issued a medical certificate for were fully refunded, even though he was well.

No reason to avoid going to see the Doctor - at least that way they know if there are sick people on board.

Have been down to the medical centre and it is not Noro due to the lack of presence of a high fever but another type of gastro virus, likely acquired by touching something contaminated on board. Already on the mend so should be out of confinement in another 24hrs. Dh is still ok. The nurse said he does not need to be quarantined unless he shows symptoms. So all should end well. First time being sick on a ship and hopefully the last!

I would change the original title of the post but can't find a way to do so? If the mods want to delete the thread go ahead.

The lack of a fever does not mean you didn't have noro. Whoever told you that is confused. A fever may be present, but not necessarily.

Hope you are feeling better and can enjoy the rest of your trip.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Hello everyone! We are currently on board the Reflection, docked in St. Thomas and unfortunately I have come down with either norovirus or food poisoning, although I'm guessing noro is more likely. Wondering if anyone has heard other reports of noro going around on this ship? No announcements have been made on board but I understand they do so only in the case of a really major outbreak.!

I have asked at the elite evening gathering and many of the daily trivia players if anyone has suffered any NLV symptoms.

Everyone is healthy, we hear few coughs so this is about as healthy a cruise as we have ever sailed.

Food poisoning would not affect only two people. Were any of your table mates affected?

Report from the HD is that there are fewer than 5 people out of over 3,000 pax (plus crew) suffering ill effects right now.

Whatever the source of your virus, it does not seem to have affected the rest of us onboard.

I changed the thread title to something a bit less alarming. The discussion is a good one especially the encouragement to seek on board medical evaluation and treatment.

I have asked at the elite evening gathering and many of the daily trivia players if anyone has suffered any NLV symptoms.

Everyone is healthy, we hear few coughs so this is about as healthy a cruise as we have ever sailed.

Food poisoning would not affect only two people. Were any of your table mates affected?

Report from the HD is that there are fewer than 5 people out of over 3,000 pax (plus crew) suffering ill effects right now.

Whatever the source of your virus, it does not seem to have affected the rest of us onboard.

Thanks! This is good to hear!

On a side note...I had to go back to the room early one evening due to a bad sunburn on the top of my feet (shoes were killing me) and the cabin steward made certain that was all that was going on. I think the crew may be trained to keep an eye out for ill passengers because the next day (early morning) she stopped by to check if I was up and out of bed.

I had suspected noro (it wasn't) and I was reimbursed w/ pro rated daily rate for the time I was in isolation. I did see the doctor and there was NO CHARGE. THey don't want to discourage people w/ possible noro from seeing the doctor, so they don't charge for GI disturbance visits.

I got like free movies and sodas and was able to order from a very limited menu (Think all white stuff... banana, chicken breast, potatoes). My steward would drop it off and say "You don't LOOK sick." And I'd say "I'm not" but if you do go to the infirmary w/ GI issues you will ALMOST always be quarantined b/c protocol states they have to do it. Your card is flagged so that if you were to use at the bars etc it comes up that you're supposed to be in your cabin (I sent my room mate out to get me something and she had my card and BING!!)

Hi: Hope all is well with you.

I know people on a past cruise who had the same experience. The only complaints came from those who did not report and thought that they should also receive the compensation.