What new technologies woul dyou like to see HAL use?

RMLincoln

HAL needs to update it's technology simply because it is a mass market cruise line.

Growing numbers of potential customers view some of these technologies as basic...an entry fee into the hospitality game. This stuff is not rocket science. It is as basic as peanut butter. HAL needs to attract these new customers. It astonishes me that HAL is so far behind the curve on this one. Speaks volumes to me about their management.

Failure to adapt/deliver even the most basic of these technologies simply builds on the impression that HAL is a floating retirement or care home. I assume that this is not an image that HAL is trying to portray.

Because you have questions, and need to discuss the shore excursion in more detail before you commit to booking it. Sometimes a shore excursion that looks appropriate on paper, is not when you learn more about it.

Happens to me all the time. I book on line in advance, then go to discuss my choices shortly after I board. More than once I've had to change plans as my careful first choice really is not suitable after all.

Yes, I can see if you have questions, of course you would do it. If you have no questions, there is no reason to stand in line. I'm curious to hear if that was the case with the poster I asked, or whether she thought that was the only way to book.

HAL needs to update it's technology simply because it is a mass market cruise line.

Growing numbers of potential customers view some of these technologies as basic...an entry fee into the hospitality game. This stuff is not rocket science. It is as basic as peanut butter. HAL needs to attract these new customers. It astonishes me that HAL is so far behind the curve on this one. Speaks volumes to me about their management.

Failure to adapt/deliver even the most basic of these technologies simply builds on the impression that HAL is a floating retirement or care home. I assume that this is not an image that HAL is trying to portray.

I would like to see more use of technology. That said, I like a decent level of customer service. On my last celebrity cruise I stood at the front desk for at least a half hour every time. I would go there for simple things like cashing a travellers cheque. That is ridiculous,

If you have no questions, there is no reason to stand in line. I'm curious to hear if that was the case with the poster I asked, or whether she thought that was the only way to book.

"No reason" for you, perhaps, but others may have very valid---for them---reasons. Basic human contact for the pleasure of it could be one of them.

Normally, one doesn't have to stand in line, unless one wants to. Just go when there is no line. This is especially true when dealing with the Front Desk, as it's open 24 hrs. a day.

I agree completely. Younger people assume, true or not, that most seniors are not technology users other than maybe a simple cell phone for emergencies. Being so behind the times on even the most basic pax cabin technology aboard ship just adds to this impression that HAL is the old folks cruise line. If you don't want to use it then don't, but why object to it being available? :confused:

They may not have them on all ships. That said, I don't understand why you didn't just fill in the paperwork and drop it in the drop box. Why wait?

Because I am just compulsive enough about planning that I wanted to know right away if the tour I wanted to reserve was still available and that my request was accepted (e.g., that I wasn't closed out). That way I knew I wouldn't need to keep researching other options on the internet, which can get expensive.

However, my original thoughts weren't just for myself but for others (like my parents) who cruise HAL more than I do.

Edited by cruisemom42

Because I am just compulsive enough about planning that I wanted to know right away if the tour I wanted to reserve was still available and that my request was accepted (e.g., that I wasn't closed out). That way I knew I wouldn't need to keep researching other options on the internet, which can get expensive.

However, my original thoughts weren't just for myself but for others (like my parents) who cruise HAL more than I do.

Thx for confirming that. I just don't want people thinking that it's a must to stand in line. I've found that they do confirm things pretty quick but usually when it comes to shorex I'm pretty lukewarm on them. If im really interested I book online but I do realize that some would be opposed to that. The discussion that sparked this for me was that people can't book from their room. If you have questions or need personal interaction the TV set isn't going to go that,

Computerized information on your TV screen so you can see your folio 24/7. You should be able to purchase shore excursions and room service right from your cabin.

Apple products used on board such as iPads. HAL is behind the times.

Edited by Jade13