Sailing out of New York

I am sure that someone has posted this before but cannot seem to find it - when sailing out of Bayonne to go past Statue of Liberty - better to have Starboard balcony cabin or Port balcony cabin -

Also any idea if the ship sails at 4PM - what time it passes the Statue?

Thanks for the help -

I am sure that someone has posted this before but cannot seem to find it - when sailing out of Bayonne to go past Statue of Liberty - better to have Starboard balcony cabin or Port balcony cabin -

Also any idea if the ship sails at 4PM - what time it passes the Statue?

Thanks for the help -

The Quantum of the Seas doesn't sail past the Statue of Liberty. Cape Liberty is already closer to the ocean than the statue of liberty. While in port typically the starboard side gets the statue of liberty view while in port. When she leaves you get a slightly clearer view, but the best view is while docked in port. When returning she'll spin and back in so it really is only starboard that ever has a view.

Thank you so much for your quick response - have sailed out of New York Manhattan and Brooklyn but first time for Bayonne and I "assumed" which we know what that means. -

So would think New York Skyline on Starboard side would be the preferred when sailing out (in case way too cold to be outside)

Again - appreciate your help and advice and definitely your information --

Thank you -

Thank you so much for your quick response - have sailed out of New York Manhattan and Brooklyn but first time for Bayonne and I "assumed" which we know what that means. -

So would think New York Skyline on Starboard side would be the preferred when sailing out (in case way too cold to be outside)

Again - appreciate your help and advice and definitely your information --

Thank you -

The more impressive sight is when you return and see the sunrise over the city. Since embarkation day you won't be spending much time in your room you won't see much. You can see the skyline from anywhere onboard. The more impressive sight when departing is the port side sunset. On return though the sunrises on the starboard side, but (at least in November and December) was not really visible until docked and then you saw the beautiful colors reflecting off the skyline.

While in port typically the starboard side gets the statue of liberty view while in port. When she leaves you get a slightly clearer view, but the best view is while docked in port. When returning she'll spin and back in so it really is only starboard that ever has a view.

When we were docked at cape liberty on jan 3 and 11, our port-side room had a view of the statue of liberty. The starboard side was right next to the 9/11 teardrop memorial, but no view of the statue that i could see. maybe she doesn't always dock the same direction?

When we were docked at cape liberty on jan 3 and 11, our port-side room had a view of the statue of liberty. The starboard side was right next to the 9/11 teardrop memorial, but no view of the statue that i could see. maybe she doesn't always dock the same direction?

Your right, I got that backwards. I had it right in my head and mixed my sides up. I believe she always docks bow out so port is to the statue of liberty.

Actually, if you read about the January 23 cruise, you will see that Quantum did sail passed the Statue of Liberty. Instead of tuning down the river and departing, she turned up river all the way passed the statue and then did a 360 turn before departing down river. My guess is that there may have been a traffic issue going through the narrows and so needed more time before arriving at the bridge.

Port side has the best view of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan skyline when leaving Cape Liberty.

The couple of times I have sailed out of Cape Liberty we did not get close to the Statue of Liberty…but were able to see her in a distance.

If you happen to be spending time in the NJ/NY area the best view would be to take the Staten Island Ferry roundtrip from lower Manhattan (NYC) to Staten Island. It's about 25-30 minutes each way. The ferry is FREE.

Edited by starfish216

Actually, if you read about the January 23 cruise, you will see that Quantum did sail passed the Statue of Liberty. Instead of tuning down the river and departing, she turned up river all the way passed the statue and then did a 360 turn before departing down river. My guess is that there may have been a traffic issue going through the narrows and so needed more time before arriving at the bridge.

That was a one time special occasion by the new Captain. The Quantum also did that trick on the way into NY on the maiden sailing (and there also was a welcome wet down by the FDNY fire boat).

I think that was because they were going to miss a port later in the cruise and had additional time to make their first port of call. Quantum sailed past the Statue of Liberty on the cruises to nowhere and some VIP cruises also. If they have extra time and can justify the extra fuel cost, they'll make the extra trip north before heading out to sea. I wish they'd do it more often.

I think that was because they were going to miss a port later in the cruise and had additional time to make their first port of call. Quantum sailed past the Statue of Liberty on the cruises to nowhere and some VIP cruises also. If they have extra time and can justify the extra fuel cost, they'll make the extra trip north before heading out to sea. I wish they'd do it more often.

You are exactly right, we had time to kill because we were not stopping at Puerto Rico. It was a beautiful tour in NYC harbor. Having a great time on Quantum don't want to get off 😞😞😞

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm also on the same cruise and left the Quantum this morning. (Had a great cruise, BTW.). The weather was not great this morning anyway, but unfortunately the view of the statue was blocked this morning by some kind of cargo ship on the next pier over from us. I hope that's unusual.

Not only did we have extra time to sail north because we missed our first port due to a storm, the Captain had to kill even more time because he needed to let the storm system pass by. After leaving NYC, we sailed very, very slowly down the coast to allow that to happen. The captain also had to get special permission from the harbor master to sail into the harbor. There was very little boat traffic that evening. Just the Staten Island Ferry. I imagine they wouldn't be so accommodating in the summer.