Just off the Freedom and feeling sick

sarahcat111

We just got off of the Freedom and I have a sever case of pneumonia symptoms started Friday morning Is anyone else feeling ill

I'm fine, thank you. My neighbor has pneumonia right now, but hasn't been on any ship so it can happen anywhere, not just getting it on a ship.

We just got off of the Freedom and I have a sever case of pneumonia symptoms started Friday morning Is anyone else feeling ill

We were also on that same cruise and we are and have been fine.

You do know that it can take up to 10 days for your first symptoms to appear. In all likelihood, you picked up the virus before you boarded the ship.

As a senior I got a pneumonia shot...best thing I ever did. And many, many people get sick after cruising, air plane rides, and land vacations. Different air, close proximity to people, lack of sleep or rest. Is the OP wanting to blame the cruise line...otherwise what is the purpose for the original posting? Just curious.

I hope OP is better too..I get a flu shot every yr. This year I spent 3 months in my beloved Portland, Oregon and was able to work there and see friends..seven years after movng back to my state of birth...this year the flu virus was not well covered by vaccine and it was a mean respitory one for me in Oregon..delyaed my exit and put me behind the early ice storms driving in the Columbia Gorge...

I still think getting the flu shot for years has helped me..and as I have shared here in 2012,,,my mother passed form a rather rare virus she picked up on her last big 12 year old grandchild trip..( the last one's trip)..an Alaskan cruise..she could have had it right before going...but most probably got it there...and we can not blame that cruise.

Just unlucky..kids get it no issue...adults get it and it attacks your heart..Parvo..and there was more of the human kind of Parvo that year..they are closer to a vaccine I beleive. So yes..we can not survive in bubbles.

I was in was an apt first and then an affordable suite hotel the last month in Oregon when I got this latest flu that sure could have turned into pneumonia w/o just staying in and drinking lots of fluids...trned a 2 month plan into three. Thank God for the suite's juice machine and their allowed use 24/7 for me.

Going to look into pneumonia shot next year...

Unfortunately.. often getting sick is just the luck of the draw...and taking care of self..getting some exposure to help with our bodies immune systems and proper weight and exercise ( my next improvement)... and I beleive in the shots..is best we all can do.

Hope OP is better and not to worry...just being human in an imperfect world with bugs.

Edited by sjn911

I am one of six ladies that were on the Freedom Jan 25th-Feb 2. So far 3 of us have a case of pneumonia. Two others have acute bronchitis. I worry now the people in our two cabins will come down with the same thing. And I also wonder how the people in our cabin before us are doing. I even had the pneumonia shot!

How are you feeling now? Today is the first day I can get out of bed. My first ride in an ambulance. I kept passing out and no one was home with me. My suitcases are still unpacked. Doctor has released me to go back to work on Sunday. A week without pay after a cruise is not what I had planned!

Edited by onebzemom

As a senior I got a pneumonia shot...best thing I ever did. And many, many people get sick after cruising, air plane rides, and land vacations. Different air, close proximity to people, lack of sleep or rest. Is the OP wanting to blame the cruise line...otherwise what is the purpose for the original posting? Just curious.

Not good to judge.

Strange all of us came home sick at the end of our cruise. We came from different areas and did not see each other until our flight out.

I have no blame. I wanted first to see if others had same problem. Hoping not, but now that others have, I am worried about future outbreaks. Pneumonia is contagious. And I am letting Carnival know, so they can decide what should be done.

I am one of six ladies that were on the Freedom Jan 25th-Feb 2. So far 3 of us have a case of pneumonia. Two others have acute bronchitis. I worry now the people in our two cabins will come down with the same thing. And I also wonder how the people in our cabin before us are doing. I even had the pneumonia shot!

How are you feeling now? Today is the first day I can get out of bed. My first ride in an ambulance. I kept passing out and no one was home with me. My suitcases are still unpacked. Doctor has released me to go back to work on Sunday. A week without pay after a cruise is not what I had planned!

6 of you in 2 staterooms....such close proximity its no wonder you all got sick. I would bet money that one of you carried the virus on board and passed it amongst yourselves.

Unfortunately, it's the time of year for upper-respiratory infections and traveling exposes you to more people. I'm pretty sure I picked up my last two bugs on airplanes.

Get well soon!

My husband used to travel for work a lot. Whenever he came home, he always developed a cold days later. Then I always got it, twice as badly as he had it. When we flew to and from our cruise ports, he, then I, always got sick.

Then I realized what it was. He had the air vent on the plane opened all the way and blowing directly on him. When I had him stop, he, and I, no longer got sick! Of course one time we were on a plane that didn't take off for a while so he got hot.. Against my wishes, he opened the vent. Four days later, he, then I, got sick with a bad cod.

I'm convinced the terrible filtering on planes was to blame for his colds.

My husband used to travel for work a lot. Whenever he came home, he always developed a cold days later. Then I always got it, twice as badly as he had it. When we flew to and from our cruise ports, he, then I, always got sick.

Then I realized what it was. He had the air vent on the plane opened all the way and blowing directly on him. When I had him stop, he, and I, no longer got sick! Of course one time we were on a plane that didn't take off for a while so he got hot.. Against my wishes, he opened the vent. Four days later, he, then I, got sick with a bad cod.

I'm convinced the terrible filtering on planes was to blame for his colds.

Wow, that's interesting! I'm never opening the air vent again.

I hope you feel better soon. I always get a cold towards the end of my cruise or right after. I guess that will happen when that many people are in such close proximity. I did contract Salmonella poisoning on the Carnival Dream, but that was Carnival's fault.

Wow, that's interesting! I'm never opening the air vent again.

Being on a plane packed with people coughing or sneezing near you is the reason you catch colds. In fact, that air blowing on you from the filtered nozzles above may even help keep you safe from some of those germs being coughed up all around you. :)

Being on a plane packed with people coughing or sneezing near you is the reason you catch colds. In fact, that air blowing on you from the filtered nozzles above may even help keep you safe from some of those germs being coughed up all around you. :)

That has not been the case for us. As I stated, once we stopped using the air from the vents to blow on us, we no longer caught colds from flying.

I got off the Freedom on the 18th and 2 days later had a feeling I was coming down with bronchitis. I'm still fighting it.

Not blaming the ship...i think one of my friends brought it on. I believe there are around 5?people in our group that have/had it. Either way it sucks and my best advice is to get medical care ASAP.

Always an incubator for different illnesses anytime we spend time in crowds of people. A ship just has more people. Sorry you feel horrible and hope it passes soon. If anyone is interested Elderberry has been proven to be as effective bas tamiflu and can be taken as a preventative during cold and flu season. You can buy it at the drug store or even better make your own. I make a honey mixture for the kids, but a great use for a bottle of Vodka you get on board is making tinctures. Add 2 cups of dried elderberry to your vodka put it in the pantry and shake it every couple of days for a couple months. Then when flu and cold season comes around take a tablespoon each day. And if you catch the flu or a cold take it every four hours. Research it, seriously more effective than Tamiflu.