3 teenagers as cruisemates....

Pathfinder1964

We will be cruising with my 3 teenage grandkids (and parents) to Alaska on the Westerdam in June, 2015. These kids have been on several cruises on CCL to the Caribbean before so you know where I'm coming from with teenagers (ages 14, 16 and 18) and the possibility of being bored...lol.

My question is, will the age dynamics on HAL cruiselines be so great that there will be nothing of interest for them to do onboard? It seems that they are between the age of group activities for younger kids only and not old enough for lounges with live music. They love being with their parents and me but I'm hoping that they won't get bored with that and want to be with kids their own age.

Suggestions or advice or am I just being a "worrywart" for nothing? :o

Edited by Pathfinder1964

The younger two grandkids can participate in the teen activities in Club HAL; the older one is too old, however. They may all find others in their own age range to hang out with and have a good time, though. There are plenty of multi-generational families on Alaska cruises, so there's a good chance of them making friends.

They are allowed in the lounges, just not allowed to purchase liquor. They won't be allowed in the Northern Lights disco after a certain hour, though.

Alaska has a lot of scenery while at sea, and loads to do when in port. There is no valid reason why teens should get bored up there. They can search for wildlife, track the route on maps, get a feel for the vast distances. They can study the history of the area, and really appreciate the life those seeking their fortunes in the goldfields led.

Melodie,

Those are awkward ages on any cruise line sailing Alaska. I did an Alaskan cruise on Carnival back in September, and it definitely skewed older and was not what most people think of when they hear Carnival. I think a lot will depend on how many families are sailing on the Westerdam that week, which is a crap shoot. Fortunately there aren't a lot of sea days on Alaskan cruises, so you can keep them busy in ports. Regardless, have fun and enjoy those grandkids. Sounds like a fun cruise.

Roz

Thanks RuthC and Roz for the info. I'm sure that things will just be fine on our cruise and that I'm worrying needlessly. They are so excited about going to Alaska for the first time that I don't think they will miss out on any fun things to do onboard. Thanks again for your encouraging words!

Those are awkward ages on any cruise line sailing Alaska. I did an Alaskan cruise on Carnival back in September, and it definitely skewed older and was not what most people think of when they hear Carnival.

In September, I wouldn't expect many kids, since they are all back in school. June should be better, but depending on how early in June, many kids may still be in school. Mid-summer is probably best for the most kids on board. I've only cruised to Alaska on Princess with teens (and Carnival when they were much younger), but the demographics tend to be similar on all lines in Alaska.

I was on a HAL cruise in the Caribbean with three teens, 16 and 18. It was one of our favorite cruises and we have life long friends that we met on that cruise. It was a February break cruise so there were other "kids" on board but most were more interested in the "gang" type activities. One of the things that we enjoyed every night was the piano bar after late dining. It was so much fun. I wasn't sure about HAL and the difference in ages but it was fabulous. The crew loved them!!!!!! When you plan an exciting excursion when in port they will be thrilled, but you have been on cruises before so you know this. Our Alaska cruise was on Celebrity when our 3 were under 10 and we were with our 18 year old niece. We had a great time. You are going to have sooooo much fun! Cherie

We will be on Westerdam to AK for in-laws' 50th Anniversary 6/6 with daughters & nieces: 15, 14, 14, 13. They are excited to see each other for this many days in a row. I hope they enjoy some Loft activities - two have never been joiners... But they are curious about meeting some other kids. I am glad to hear they can enter the lounges. Mother in law & her sister are yearly cruisers but 9 of us are first timers.

Edited by Sdidskd

In 2009 I took our 16 yr old granddaughter to Alaska. She was not happy about going. Day 1 she went to check out Club HAL.

There were over 50 teenagers there around her age. She admitted that it was the best vacation ever. The only time she was with us was at dinner.

Your grandkids will have a great time